• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Dear Mr. Shit Talker
Please take not that I didn't respond to Fadi because he didn't reply at all. If you bothered to read it correctly you'd notice that my post was after someone else suggested that two horses couldn't be ridden at once
I tend to just glance over your posts
No need to call me Mr. We're all fairly casual here

This whole bodybuilding/powerlifting thing on this forum is just utter silliness.

again, there is a difference between a workout and a training session.

Methods used are like jj80 and brick which are tools, nothing more and nothing less.

split programs popularized by Weider as a result of the introduction of steroids to enable competing BB's to workout longer and recover faster used by gym rats or weekend warriors is a totally stupid and non-productive way of building strength.

fullbody builds strength, you can also compete in powerlifting as skill is not a huge factor, strongman on the other hand would need (depending on the lift) a tad more time spent training.

Doing both is doable.

Olympic lifting is another story.

Over the years some of these strongman power lifting blokes actually look pretty enough in a pair of speedos to compete.

its not the way they trained, come-on, think about it.

either way, it's the top end bloke that have the genes, it's not the methods used it's actually the brutally hard way they do it in the gym.

I've almost exclusively done 4-day splits, although when for whatever reason I don't lift for 2 weeks, I get back in with a good ol' full body. I'm considering dropping the split routine and trying a push/pull or even full body for 3 months or so.

Coz natties can only gain so much muscle mass at any one time full body is certainly an option, only IF you can get it to keep on working as you progress from beginner to intermediate to advanced. But with someone who is geared like Oni, is it probably not enough to take advantage of the gear. I guess he can increase the volume.

I ran full body, for maybe 10 years. With HIIT and Boxing/MMA stuff on the days off I was certainly extremely conditioned. The full body routines force the heart to move blood around the body a lot more, which promotes greater conditioning and I assume is a "healthier" alternative as people get older.

Last edited:
Actually 0ni I wasn't referring to this particular argument, I meant that you try and write informative posts, then start name calling or going on your 'quixotic ramblings', but you expect people to take you seriously.

Unfortunately the 5 day split dogma is not likely to go away any time soon, and most BB'ers aren't natty either.

Actually 0ni I wasn't referring to this particular argument, I meant that you try and write informative posts, then start name calling or going on your 'quixotic ramblings', but you expect people to take you seriously.

Unfortunately the 5 day split dogma is not likely to go away any time soon, and most BB'ers aren't natty either.

Concur.

Coz natties can only gain so much muscle mass at any one time full body is certainly an option, only IF you can get it to keep on working as you progress from beginner to intermediate to advanced. But with someone who is geared like Oni, is it probably not enough to take advantage of the gear. I guess he can increase the volume.

I ran full body, for maybe 10 years. With HIIT and Boxing/MMA stuff on the days off I was certainly extremely conditioned. The full body routines force the heart to move blood around the body a lot more, which promotes greater conditioning and I assume is a "healthier" alternative as people get older.

The doses I run don't change shit in regards to training. Plenty of natural, drug tested lifters train with much higher volume than I do.
Even Dan Green who is known to really push the drugs hard trains in a similar way to what is being discussed here and the volume isn't completely outrageous.

Monday: Back squats, low and high bar
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Front Squats
Thursday: Military press, dumbbell press – a bodybuilder style day for arms
Friday: Deadlifts, block pulls and deficits with very few pulls off the floor
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Bench Press, pause bench, touch and go, speed bench, wide and close grip

Here are some good articles by him on the subject as well.
Raw Powerlifting and Bodybuilding - Juggernaut Training Systems - Juggernaut Training Systems
West of Westside - Juggernaut Training Systems - Juggernaut Training Systems

I remember a champion strongman 20 years ago telling me over dinner he would get ripped and wipe the floor in bb.

Well, he did not and never had a chance. To be honest, he had a crap physique, as do many powerlifters. BB is an art and much more than lifting heavy weights. One must have an eye for balance to do well, at least most of the time.

I think only commonality between strength sports is simply they all do weight training.

I remember a champion strongman 20 years ago telling me over dinner he would get ripped and wipe the floor in bb.

Well, he did not and never had a chance. To be honest, he had a crap physique, as do many powerlifters. BB is an art and much more than lifting heavy weights. One must have an eye for balance to do well, at least most of the time.

I think only commonality between strength sports is simply they all do weight training.

the two sports of Bodybuilding and the powerlifter are closer than most think, I've stated previously that either way you've got to have the look to be a body builder or power lifter, the body builder looks strong but due to his design cannot transmit power as well as a classic look of a powerlifter, now, neither have trained to look that way they have that look in spite if their workout.

very seldom you have an athlete that crosses over, they are the 1% and quite rare.

to me, the commonality is "progression" and "hard work"

yes, commonality is progression with weight training principles.

But, that is about it for me. They mostly look nothing like each other, as most powerlifters are merely interested in lifting more.

Oh, and the third commonality is the; full body, mainly multi joint *workout*

how often throughout that week and how much volume one needs is dictated by ones ability to recover between workouts.
and your goals.

yes, commonality is progression with weight training principles.

But, that is about it for me. They mostly look nothing like each other, as most powerlifters are merely interested in lifting more.

Yeah, when we talk about bodybuilding it's subjective, as in the physique, powerlifting is tangible as is most weight moved.

I like the look of strength as in not the "bodybuilder" traditional look of wide shoulders / ultra thin waist...

Spartacus have you had good success with full body routines at all?

I might try some of the ones in here, as I said earlier, but the volume does seem lowish.
@El Freako ; what's your opinion on full body stuff like this? Like stuff in OP, not sheiko.

I think I'd probably be better off just doing Sheiko anyhow. Has a rather good track record.

Oh and the other aspect "trick" of the bodybuilder which is not often discussed and is genetic is "muscle control" which I believe is a very large component of muscle/physique display

I believe, the general rule of thumb is, the lower the volume the more cardio should be done for fat control.

ive said before that card ion is specious at best for weight control, but to be able to progress you need to eat, a lot, doing one set to failure works, but because of the lower volume, you need to add a couple of cardio sessions.

someone else suggested that two horses couldn't be ridden at once
They can't. And if you try, you fall off.

A significant number of the people you listed are openly drug-using. This changes things.

Most people don't use anabolic steroids etc, so in these discussions it's fair to assume that people aren't doing so - and therefore, a cowboy can't ride two horses at once.

You can do everything. Just not at the same time.

Spartacus have you had good success with full body routines at all?

I might try some of the ones in here, as I said earlier, but the volume does seem lowish.
@El Freako ; what's your opinion on full body stuff like this? Like stuff in OP, not sheiko.

I think I'd probably be better off just doing Sheiko anyhow. Has a rather good track record.

I have never been that strong, and have mostly trained bb style, a few body parts on one day and so on. drugs 170kg bench and 155kg power clean early 1990s, and 147.5kg bench and 135kg power clean after in late 1990s.

Yes, I have tried full body workouts, 2011 actually improved my bench from 130 to 137.5kg, but I had done it before, so who knows.

I think opening thread training approach quite good because it discusses need to vary load. This critical. If you understand that, you can modify according to your preferences, or just do a set program which does weight calculation for you. I prefer my own program, and freedom to adjust and so on.

My opinion: most methods work, you just need consistency, know when to push and back off, and good eating.

Genetics, along with will power, will take care of the rest.

As for volume, I neve give it much thought. As my training mostly different bodyparts on each day over years, generally 3 exercises of 4 sets on top weight for big muscles, and 2 exercises of four sets on smaller muscles. I never count warm up sets.

Last edited: