• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
They can't. And if you try, you fall off.

A significant number of the people you listed are openly drug-using. This changes things.

Most people don't use anabolic steroids etc, so in these discussions it's fair to assume that people aren't doing so - and therefore, a cowboy can't ride two horses at once.

You can do everything. Just not at the same time.

But that's not true lol. I deliberately posted athletes from all 3 common strength sports, drug tested and using and male and female
A natural athlete can't be strong AND lean? Lmao... just lmao... What about David Rigert? Or Klokov? Krzysztof Wierzbicki? The list is endless

bb's don't dwarf powerlifters, but how many top powerlifters actually could compete at the top bb level or vice versa?

Last edited:
look at lee priest at 16yrs old

tell me again bodybuilders arn't different to powerlifters...

BB don't dwarf powerlifters but the genetics that make a good bodybuilder, small joints, tiny waist ect don't really help for being a powerlifter and vice versa.

look at lee priest at 16yrs old

tell me again bodybuilders arn't different to powerlifters...

No I agree, some powerlifters are huge such as Kaz, but very few have bb physiques. Each sport requires specific effort and focus.

I'm not even sure where this thread has got to but I'll try and add my 2c. I've trained both pl and bb splits and full body and would consider my current sheiko training to be mostly the latter and though my focus is on maximum strength I consider maximizing size to am important factor of getting strong and my assistance work is largely bbing related.

Personally for the average lifter from beginner to intermediate stages of training (and few of whom will really ever advance beyond these stages) I believe that full body training will be far more efficient and effective approach for building basic levels of both strength and muscularity. Beyond those levels it takes far more than just a great program to make advances.

Actually JJ80, I may have accidently deceived you.

I forgot that my bb training only began in 1984-1985 after quite a few years of athletics and Olympic lifting training when most of my natural strength was developed. these workouts had a bit of structure, and were mostly full body.

This included 120kg power clean, 137.5kg jerk off rack, 90kg behind neck press bench with no back support, 120kg push press, 215kg dead lift no specific training, 60kg barbell curl, 145kg full squat, 2.70m standing long jump, 19 chin-ups, 50 dips.

A few seasons of bb training, bench up to 130kg, standing long jump 2.90m, bench 130kg.

Besides gear use, did not really improve much after that. Not dedicated enough.

Last edited:
Ok, a full body multi joint routine, choosing a variety of different exercises, reps and set, throughout the week worked to fatigue, or just short of, add some cardio, eat a lot, biuld some muscle tissue, bone strength, tendon strength, be progressive as in add a kg or two to the bar as often as possible.

want to do some power lifting?

do the above first, pay your dues.

im out.

no hate for people who use, pro's are under tremendous pressure, not sure about the lifting hobbyist.

Ok, a full body multi joint routine, choosing a variety of different exercises, reps and set, throughout the week worked to fatigue, or just short of, add some cardio, eat a lot, biuld some muscle tissue, bone strength, tendon strength, be progressive as in add a kg or two to the bar as often as possible.

want to do some power lifting?

do the above first, pay your dues.

im out.

no hate for people who use, pro's are under tremendous pressure, not sure about the lifting hobbyist.

Your posts in this thread where definitely the most logical man

tumblr_lru0y0ossk1qiqv33o1_500.png

I don't see why people think they have to chose one style or the other. I've been doing a full body workout once a week for the past 4 years. It is by far the hardest workout of the week as your heart rate is up, you have minimal breaks and by the end your whole body is shaking. The positive is that you haven't completely exhausted a muscle group, so you're fine to hit the gym again the following day.

For all those people doing 4-day split routines, what are you doing on the other 3 days of the week? Surely you have time to do a full body workout once a week.

Back to full body for a while.
Work so busy. Need to be in and out within 45 mins. Train every other day.

For all those people doing 4-day split routines, what are you doing on the other 3 days of the week? Surely you have time to do a full body workout once a week.

Currently doing a four day split of heavy compounds, the other days are rest, or more correctly active recovery.

You don't grow muscles while training, you grow muscles while recovering, pretty stuffed after a week of heavy compounds, squats today then I get to rest/recover for two days before hitting it up again on Monday.

Two days of rest and active recovery, Wednesday is also rest and active recovery.

By active recovery I mean light cardio, ie moving your body, walking erm sorry hiking, bike riding being the most common.

Here is an example of an active recovery day, don't have any interest in a full body workout at this stage:

Currently doing a four day split of heavy compounds, the other days are rest, or more correctly active recovery.

You don't grow muscles while training, you grow muscles while recovering, pretty stuffed after a week of heavy compounds, squats today then I get to rest/recover for two days before hitting it up again on Monday.

Two days of rest and active recovery, Wednesday is also rest and active recovery.

By active recovery I mean light cardio, ie moving your body, walking erm sorry hiking, bike riding being the most common.

Here is an example of an active recovery day, don't have any interest in a full body workout at this stage:

That's a pretty good and balanced routine. Yes, I agree, you should do "active recovery" on your non-training days. Something low impact like walking or bike riding is prefect. I feel that I recover faster with some light cardio to get the blood in the muscles. I was originally referring to people who do nothing on their rest days other than sit and eat.

That's a pretty good and balanced routine. Yes, I agree, you should do "active recovery" on your non-training days. Something low impact like walking or bike riding is prefect. I feel that I recover faster with some light cardio to get the blood in the muscles.

At least something we agree on.

I was originally referring to people who do nothing on their rest days other than sit and eat.

That would be bad, and as you get older you will know even more how bad it is, if I sat around after doing squats (Fridays) and dead lifts (Tuesdays) I would not be able to get out of bed the next day, muscles would be seized up.

If I was doing a full body workout I would be training 2-3 days a week ie either Monday, Wednesday and Friday or Tuesday and Friday or similar, and every full body workout would entail different exercises.