• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do you eat Kangaroos ?

Kangaroo Sausages still contain very high amounts of Sodium compared to lean cuts which means they are as healthy as normal sausages but without the fat(do you eat them to be healthy or for the protein)?. Sausages shouldn't be eaten on a regular basis. I base this from my time of being a butcher and knowing what goes in them.

I love kangaroo meat and I actually cooked some up last night for some Canadian backpackers staying with me (they loved it). Another thing I see you haven't discussed is where the meat comes from. I go out shooting roo's and pigs for meat and when you gut a roo it really makes you wonder why any humans would consume it, even the best roos have a gut full of worms... So when suggesting to cook that meat on high heat for a short period you should really be pro active with worming medication at least monthly. Personally I love eating it, but it needs to be cooked through, as far as testing goes we have never been turned back selling roo's no matter how wormy they were when gutted.

I love roo mince, when the supermarket stocks it. Less than $7 a kilo and is the best! Much easier to cook than other roo offerings.

kangaroo is not too bad, have to get used to it
One things is be sure to cook it VERY well otherwise really chewy and horrible

It seems there is conflicting advice on how to cook kangaroo.

Was watching a TV show the other day and some Aboriginies threw a roo into a fire in a hole in the ground, traditional method of cooking it.
When they cut it up it was all bloody and very rare.
They said that's the way to cook it otherwise it would be too tough and you can't eat it.

However, from what I have read quickly in the past, is to makes sure Kangaroo is cooked well done.

Then again, on The Biggest Loser the other day, they made Kangaroo fillet burgers and said to not overcook them too, left them about medium rare.

Could just be personal prefference.

Depends whether your looking at eating and having a nice tender meat or eating and not having worms all through your body

what if you cooked it slowly for a really long time like you would with some tougher cuts of beef and lamb (eg ox tail, shanks, oyster blade, etc) would it break down then?

what if you cooked it slowly for a really long time like you would with some tougher cuts of beef and lamb (eg ox tail, shanks, oyster blade, etc) would it break down then?

I honestly think that's probably the best way to go about it. I cook mine at 200 for 35 min in total. I love a good chew though. It would be interesing to see roo's being farmed and grain fed. The taste and texture of the meat would change dramatically.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I know I was just saying how I cook it safely. Give it a go. As long as its been to a temperature to kill all the bacteria and worms it should be great.

Just to bring this back up again. Australia recently lost a 270 Million dollar export deal with Russia on kangaroo meat putting around 2500 full time game hunters out of business. The reason being : The Russian Tradf ministry ruled tests on the meat showed unacceptable levels of bacteria contamination associated with faeces and ingesta.

Please people... COOK your roo meat

I usually eat a few roo steaks a week or the mini - roasts, to split up the routine of chicken breast.

The key is to cook them on a medium heat so as to cook them through, but not over cook, as they become 'gamey'.

My wife makes me open all the windows when I cook it as she hates the smell..

Bit of Dijonaise helps mask the smell and taste!

Just to bring this back up again. Australia recently lost a 270 Million dollar export deal with Russia on kangaroo meat putting around 2500 full time game hunters out of business. The reason being : The Russian Tradf ministry ruled tests on the meat showed unacceptable levels of bacteria contamination associated with faeces and ingesta.

Please people... COOK your roo meat

Oh well, heat does wonders at killing bacteria and pathogens..

It is a good cohice of meat along with lamb

As beef and pork in this country are aloud to be castrated then pumped full of synthetic oestrogen to make them fatter, it is illegal to do this with lamb dont ask me why.. So when we eat these meats we are eating the excess oestrogen that is stored in the fat cells along with what ever toxins are present in the animal (as toxins are stored in adipose tissue i.e fat). This is what happens to feedlot animals this is what woolies and coles ect would use. Your local butcher would probably not be buying these cattle, but you can ask him. This is also the same for dairy cattle.

However organic this is not aloud to happen... Yet 1 of the many reasons to switch to a local butcher or organic and stop pumping money into these places that dont care about you.

Well its a good thing I love the taste of Kangaroo. The blokes at work hate it when I cook it there too.

kangaroo isnt actually that cheap for something that's considered a pest.

Or am i just not buying it right?

Making my mouth water Fenrir... I had to eat shitty chicken!

From what I can see the pricing on Kangaroo is due to the big companies trying to make it look like a delicacy instead of pest control. If you want I'll shoot you a roo and dress it for $20 a pop :)