• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Correct lifting

There are several tangents deserving of their own thread from this original post. Going in reverse order.... 'the mirrors'...

The problem I think people encounter with mirrors is that they are sending back data to you regarding the frontal plane (side to side movement, abd-adduction) where not a great deal is happening in a squat, and many problems here are often traced back to problems in the below...

Far more important is what's happening in the sagittal plane (forwards and backwards, flexion-extension). Squatters who are looking for performance know how important sitting back in your squat and utilizing the glute ham chain is. A front on mirror is not going to help with this and a side on one is obviously problematic.

The necessary skill to develop with all lifting is your 'sixth sense', your proprioception or balance. That is, the awareness of your body in space. Many lifters would probably solve their movement flaws if they 'turned off' the visual information coming in and started 'feeling' where their body is in space.

Squatting onto a box is the popular tool for coaching this fundamental movement that engages the most efficient prime movers of the squat in the best sequence. As a lifter gains proprioceptive skill they will be better able to diagnose flaws in their own lifting; also they will be able to correct subtle flaws that their coach or training partner may detect. That way a lifting que like 'more hip drive' or 'their was too much lumbar curve for that depth' can be fixed.

Regarding the standardization of lifting reps....

There is always three questions you can ask in a given movement..... and a fourth is an obvious corollary that follows.

* How much weight?
* How far did you move it?
* How long did it take?

The corollary is how much rest was there?

Nobody ever asks how far did you bench? Or long did you squat for?

Imagine what the world of lifting would turn into if just for some reason nobody ever squatted more than 120kg. That at some point 120kg was the most anyone ever put on the bar and to put more on would be treated with the same looks you would get if you just super glued a deck chair to your car roof. That world of the 120kg squat would then follow with people boasting that their squat lifting distance was 11000 inches or something.... every gym would have some sort of monitoring device for calculating and measuring barbell stroke length and so on and so on.

So the importance of PTC's original post is that somewhere the line has to be drawn in the sand about what is and what isn't a given lift. PL federations and competitions obviously go to great detail in establishing their rule criteria. All lifters should do the same in their training in order to test if their training is actually working or not. The answers to the above three questions must be quantifiable or else the ability to compare notes with other lifters in cyberspace is meaningless.

Nice post peter..

This relates back to what was discused in another thread in regards to what a lifter can lift and how big they are, it adds to the fact that bw : lift ratio is not always accurate, at comparing one lifter to another. The length of lift and time taken are important at gauging power... In fact they are all parts of the formula for calculating power. ie force x distance / time. = power

Also shows that a training partner or coach can be invaluable.

Wow thanks PTC and Fadi for this one

Squat - you must descend lower than parralel. If your unsure, use a milk crate under your ass, thats 30cm high, touch that and your fine

Bench press - The bar touches your chest, then is pressed to lockout

Deadlift - pick the f u c k i n g thing up and stand up straight

Military press - Standing, with zero leg drive, lockout at the top

Powerclean - Simply pull the bar from the floor to your shoulders

Push press - like military press, just that you can use knee drive

Good to know im doing this shit right, with no straps and belt too, also been squatting without a bitch pad too its gonna take some getting used to for the heavy stuff but i do find i got more feeling with weight distribution,,

i find leg drive puts me off so i dont use it maybe when it all gets too much ill be begging for it but not yet ;)

There are several tangents deserving of their own thread from this original post. Going in reverse order.... 'the mirrors'...

The problem I think people encounter with mirrors is that they are sending back data to you regarding the frontal plane (side to side movement, abd-adduction) where not a great deal is happening in a squat, and many problems here are often traced back to problems in the below...

Far more important is what's happening in the sagittal plane (forwards and backwards, flexion-extension). Squatters who are looking for performance know how important sitting back in your squat and utilizing the glute ham chain is. A front on mirror is not going to help with this and a side on one is obviously problematic.

The necessary skill to develop with all lifting is your 'sixth sense', your proprioception or balance. That is, the awareness of your body in space. Many lifters would probably solve their movement flaws if they 'turned off' the visual information coming in and started 'feeling' where their body is in space.

Squatting onto a box is the popular tool for coaching this fundamental movement that engages the most efficient prime movers of the squat in the best sequence. As a lifter gains proprioceptive skill they will be better able to diagnose flaws in their own lifting; also they will be able to correct subtle flaws that their coach or training partner may detect. That way a lifting que like 'more hip drive' or 'their was too much lumbar curve for that depth' can be fixed.

Regarding the standardization of lifting reps....

There is always three questions you can ask in a given movement..... and a fourth is an obvious corollary that follows.

* How much weight?
* How far did you move it?
* How long did it take?

The corollary is how much rest was there?

Nobody ever asks how far did you bench? Or long did you squat for?

Imagine what the world of lifting would turn into if just for some reason nobody ever squatted more than 120kg. That at some point 120kg was the most anyone ever put on the bar and to put more on would be treated with the same looks you would get if you just super glued a deck chair to your car roof. That world of the 120kg squat would then follow with people boasting that their squat lifting distance was 11000 inches or something.... every gym would have some sort of monitoring device for calculating and measuring barbell stroke length and so on and so on.

So the importance of PTC's original post is that somewhere the line has to be drawn in the sand about what is and what isn't a given lift. PL federations and competitions obviously go to great detail in establishing their rule criteria. All lifters should do the same in their training in order to test if their training is actually working or not. The answers to the above three questions must be quantifiable or else the ability to compare notes with other lifters in cyberspace is meaningless.

There is so much there for me to Wikipedia about. Thank you. Very insightful. For athletic persons, ie people who play hockey, basketball, soccer et al, i really struggle to see how they need to see themselves doing their curls, shoulder presses, squats, well...anything, since...well...there's obviously not a mirror on the feild. If there was...then it'd obviously be a hazzard lol

Noobs, you didn't answer my question, I'm not sure if you've seen it: were you squatting bare footed-wearing a red toe socks?

Fadi.

Sorry i didnt see that..

Yeah i always train deads squats and cleans barefoot.

You should invest in some squat shoes, most of my guys wear them for squats and cleans. I've even organized Rick from AK to bring some to the comp so competitors can buy them.

Interesting, what advantages do you get from the squat shoes? I just did a quick search and couldn't find much except for the heel being higher or something?

They help tremendously, firstly by being stable and secondly by elevating the heel, you are in a much stronger position.

My brother has squatted 215kg raw in them
Nick has squatted 200kg raw in them and cleaned 120kg
Max has squatted well over double bodyweight and cleaned 110kg in them

Once youve lifted in proper weightlifting shoes, its very hard to go back

There is also a place in QLD, a weightlifting gym I think. Home brand.

AK sells the Zhang Kong brand, Nick, Alen and Nicky have them, excellent shoe. Again, if you mention PTC, you get a discount of around $30.

Sweet, I had a look through their catalogue the other day. Man I could set up an awesome home gym, FOR ABOUT 100K!

The lifted heels make up for any lack of ankle flexibility the lifter may experience, the elevated heels and high rise padding on the sides of the shoe provide stability and support. The last thing you’d want as you’re lifting the heavies is for your foot to “play”. You’d want your foot to move as one unit and feel solid rather than fragmented and fragile.

weightlifting-shoes-731637.jpg

Try this: when squatting (not when deadlifting), place a 5lb plate underneath your heels and feel the difference in flexibility and the ease of which you can hold your chest way up high whilst the back remains straight. Try it…

Fadi.

Last edited:
I think Fadi means a 5lb plate, not dumbbell.

I have boards for those without correct shoes and poor flexibility.

I think Fadi means a 5lb plate, not dumbbell.

I have boards for those without correct shoes and poor flexibility.

Oops, sorry about that. Thanks Markos. Yes definitely no dumbells here unless you wanna go on a roll.:)

Fadi.

I will try that next time i squat..

Have been having pain in my right knee and also pain in my right glute recenltly my girlfriend noticed on my casual shoes i have been wlaking on the outside of the shoe not the soul on the rear of the same leg.

I am trying to work on my flexability.
I cant seem to go paralell without my ass dipping with my legs like train tracks if i adopt a wider stance i can get to paralell but i find it alot harder.

I really need someone to stretch the **** out of my legs and hip flexors..

I will try that next time i squat..

Have been having pain in my right knee and also pain in my right glute recenltly my girlfriend noticed on my casual shoes i have been wlaking on the outside of the shoe not the soul on the rear of the same leg.

I am trying to work on my flexability.
I cant seem to go paralell without my ass dipping with my legs like train tracks if i adopt a wider stance i can get to paralell but i find it alot harder.

I really need someone to stretch the **** out of my legs and hip flexors..

Noobs, just go to parallel and get silly strong here first not to mention confident. Your squat is text book perfect up to the parallel point. Emphasise that for now whilst getting some flexibility through stretching and other means in the mean time.

Fadi.

I wear the outside heel of my shoes quite a bit.. Sounds similar to you..
I was having quite a bit of knee pain a year or two back, and ended up going to a podiatrist (physio sent me). Got some insoles, and I pretty sure they helped out..

I still get some knee and ankle pain - but not like before.. but I think that relates to an old injury (tore left ankle ligament ages ago)..