• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Correct lifting

Noobs, I just saw something else in your vid: you're squatting wearing only socks on your feet aren't you?

If I'm correct, then see if you can wear a shoe with some heels to it. Many people lack ankle flexibility which leads them into doing some wrong things during a squat.

Fadi.

am i right about the hip drive at all? just wondering as ive been told to keep my back straight and drive through the hips

am i right about the hip drive at all? just wondering as ive been told to keep my back straight and drive through the hips

Ok David, this driving through the hip bit I used to hear when performing front squats mainly. As for back squats, it would be a great idea to focus on maintaining a high chest and a rigid core muscles, and never letting your heels come off the ground of course.

To me the squat just falls to pieces once you begin to drop your chest. Because by dropping your chest, you've loosened up the fortress that is your core. No core = an invitation to disaster.

Fadi.

it would be a great idea to focus on maintaining a high chest and a rigid core muscles, and never letting your heels come off the ground of course.

To me the squat just falls to pieces once you begin to drop your chest. Because by dropping your chest, you've loosened up the fortress that is your core. No core = an invitation to disaster.

yeah chest up is another part ive been told as well

Same, here about chest, and head up, I was told to look at a spot high on the wall or roof, and watch it through the entire movement, for squats and deads.

Same, here about chest, and head up, I was told to look at a spot high on the wall or roof, and watch it through the entire movement, for squats and deads.
Or watch the bar during military press, otherwise you smash yourself in the chin with it on the way up.

Not, um, that I'd know about that from experience or anything. Honest.

When it comes to looking here or looking there; placing your feet this wide or that wide, I'd rather the lifter feel free with these things instead of restricting him to a certain this or that. To me there are more important aspects to the lift than what has been mentioned above.

Now is it wrong to do what trofius has suggested? Absolutely not! However I'm speaking from my perspective and how I would deal with the lifter. Each person has his way of teaching and places his priorities and emphasis differently

This is a great discussion; thank you all.

Fadi.

Since starting olympic weightlifting I have been focusing on generating the power in my squat by forcing my knees out (not past the path of my toes but more to ensure they don't buckle in) and bringing my hips through. Just as one would brings their hips through in a powerclean.

Bloody hell Fadi, I''ve said it before & I"m sure as shit going to say it again: I want to be like you when I grow up. Being on the other side of 20, I guess I should really think about it hey!!!

I have 2 interesting questions that i'd love to hear what you have to say.

In terms of squatting infront of a mirror, what do you think? Is it actually necessary? Surely I can be just as, if not possibly MORE productive squatting in front of a mirrorless (is that actually a word?) wall? I've had tremendous results from facing AWAY from a mirror. I can't be sure obviously if it was not looking at the mirror, or if it was the fact that i was at the sharp end of a tough monocycle.

Also, lately I've been spending 10-15 minutes a day doing body squats, really feeling the pushing from my quads, while keeping my chest up & shoulders back. Would this help my weighted squats? Is there anything i could add to my morning &/or evening ritual ?

I have a deadlifting question i'll post elsewhere

Bloody hell Fadi, I''ve said it before & I"m sure as shit going to say it again: I want to be like you when I grow up. Being on the other side of 20, I guess I should really think about it hey!!!

I have 2 interesting questions that i'd love to hear what you have to say.

In terms of squatting infront of a mirror, what do you think? Is it actually necessary? Surely I can be just as, if not possibly MORE productive squatting in front of a mirrorless (is that actually a word?) wall? I've had tremendous results from facing AWAY from a mirror. I can't be sure obviously if it was not looking at the mirror, or if it was the fact that i was at the sharp end of a tough monocycle.

Also, lately I've been spending 10-15 minutes a day doing body squats, really feeling the pushing from my quads, while keeping my chest up & shoulders back. Would this help my weighted squats? Is there anything i could add to my morning &/or evening ritual ?

I have a deadlifting question i'll post elsewhere

PB, you will NEVER find a single mirror at the AIS weightlifting training centre and I've never seen my self squat until I switched over to bodybuilding where all gyms have mirrors. I've squatted 200kg without a mirror and I've squatted 180kg x10 with one. Which one would I prefer? The first: no mirror. But then again, I never listened to music either whilst training as a weightlifter, as most bodybuilders seem to do these days. So it's whatever makes you feel comfortable, it's not something I ever think about as I become a totally different person when I'm lifting. Experience has taught me to make do with whatever is available; that means bent and rusty weightlifting bars or brand new skin ripping ones: it's all the same to me. If a Bulgarian world champion weightlifter can make do with rubbish weightlifting equipment, so can I!

PB, if you’re finding the body squats helping then keep on doing them. Why are there a morning and evening rituals? Are you training twice a day now?

PS: something we used to finish our workouts with was weighted back extensions (not hyper-extensions). Your lower back can never be strong enough PB.

Fadi.

i find a squat better @ SSAS then squatting @ a commercial gym (with musics and full length mirror)
When i see a mirror, i tend to look into it and there goes my form...
if there isnt a mirror, i tend to focus more on my lifts and form..

i find a squat better @ SSAS then squatting @ a commercial gym (with musics and full length mirror)
When i see a mirror, i tend to look into it and there goes my form...
if there isnt a mirror, i tend to focus more on my lifts and form..

I agree. Where's this SSAS Lucku?

Fadi.

wow i said this at my gym and got laughed at. I used to face away from the mirror for all my lifts as i found i focussed better on what and how i was doing things, so you could feel more of the intensity where it was needed. when asked why i did that, i gave my explanation and got told i was stupid... so now like everyone else at the gym i resorted to using the mirror... which i do find too distracting, you catch people looking at you, you see things going on behind you etc... too distracting... same as music...

Mirrors are a distraction, best you concentrate at the job at hand. Injury usually occurs when focus is taken away from the lift.

I cant figure my ass out i dont know what its doing.. I am trying so hard not to move my ass in but icant ocntrol it at all.. ITs like saying ok move your ears. i just cant.

Must be somehting that will need alot of practice to get a feel of. I am having alot of difficulty.

Tried 200kg deadlift today lol couldnt get it off the ground.

Tried 100kg incline bench. LOL

one day...

There are two really easy fixes noobs.

1. Dont squat quite so low.

or

2. Implement a stretching routine with focus on hamstrings, glutes and hip flexors.

Noobs, you didn't answer my question, I'm not sure if you've seen it: were you squatting bare footed-wearing a red toe socks?

Fadi.