• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Correct lifting

PTC

I've just been going through the non training journals on here, and I've noticed that not everyone may understand how to correctly perform the basic lifts. Here is a very basic rundown. Its so if you say you bench 37.5kg, we know its at least done properly.

Squat - you must descend lower than parralel. If your unsure, use a milk crate under your ass, thats 30cm high, touch that and your fine

Bench press - The bar touches your chest, then is pressed to lockout

Deadlift - pick the f u c k i n g thing up and stand up straight

Military press - Standing, with zero leg drive, lockout at the top

Powerclean - Simply pull the bar from the floor to your shoulders

Push press - like military press, just that you can use knee drive

If anyone touches the bar during the lift, its a missed lift, no matter how little they helped.

i always squat to a milk crate at home, it helps with my technique too as each squat is to the same height every time. i dont have to worry about depth, i can then concentrate on getting the other parts of my squat right.

One guy in his non training journal said he was benching 2" up from his chest.

Guess what part is the hardest in the bench press?

I think it was Tim.

Anymore questions?

Aren't just squats and benches the ones where people can use shorter ranges of motion to get heavier weights? That and using some knees/hips in military press.

I mean, use poor technique in the others and you get less weight up, yeah? It's probably just my ignorance but I can't imagine how else you'd be cheating. What are some examples?

Its in reference to people claiming weights for exercises.

Havent you learnt that a half range bench press isnt called a bench press,rather a board press or a rack press.

Half range squats are called partials, 1/4 squats, 1/2 squats

Thought you may have known that Kyle.

You'll see in Nicks journal...

4 board press
165kg x 1

He didnt say

bench press
165kg x 1

I had an Australian Olympic sprinter in the gym yestrday. He is hoping to go to London, was in the team for Beijing but they decided not to send a relay team.

We chatted a lot about training. I asked him what he squatted, he said 220kg. I asked him if that was a full squat, he said no, he only full squats 180kg. I showed him the box we squat to and asked if he went that low. He laughed, not even close.

He gave me an example of ROM. His 220kg is a 1/4 squat and his 180kg is a 1/2 squat.

He has a proffesional coach helping him, and the exercises he is doing are correct, he should be careful as to his description though. I have a pic of Nick in the gym squatting 180kg, sack on the deck. This blew the guys mind.

He currently runs the 100m in 10.2, so he's doing fine. Raced against Powel last year.

This thread is to make sure we are all on the same page when describing how much we lift in a particular exercise.

Imagine if Max went around saying he squatted 250kg, thats what he does in the 1/4 squat. Nick does 340kg.

Understand now Kyle?

No, I understand that about squat and bench. I've seen (and done) plenty of partials on those, I can understand that easily.

I was just wondering what sort of wrong things people did on other lifts that boosted up the weights they used, and made it not a proper lift - because I've not seen it happen on deadlift, military press, etc.

I want to be clear and on the same page, too.

Holy mother of god. Leg drive on military press, taking the bar from the rack, not locking out.

Deadlift, wrist wraps, not locking out, dropping bar rather than lowering, in a rack

Anymore exercises Kyle?

i'm aware that this is a shit example....when you see people (USUALLY young guns) using 30kg (for example) barbells when doing their 'curls for the girls' and there's so much swinging going on, it looks like the biceps are doing very little work, with the back & legs doing most of the work.

I've been using wrist wraps (the kind used for bench pressing) when deadlifting, would that manipulate how much i'm deadlifting? Surely the wrist straps would, the kind that you wrap Around the bar, but yeh.... ?

Could you also discuss using your legs when bench pressing? i can't seem to drive my legs into the ground like other bigger guys can. wot am i missing ?

Don't stress, Markos, I was just asking. If you don't ask, you don't learn. I thought I knew what you meant, but also thought it best to make sure.

The lower back should never round up but should remain straight. Chest up high and drive with the legs. Here's one of the chinese weightlifters I beleive. An 80kg lifter performing a full squat with 210kg. No rounding of the back at the bottom of the lift, even when under tremendous pressure. I'd drop the weight in a flash rather then relax my form with such a heavy weight.

YouTube - 210 Squat, 80kg bodyweight (77kg category)

Fadi.

Mate it looks the same to me we clearly we are seeing something different. I have not had any problems. And that was the last of a 5x5 set a little while ago. My strength and form has changed.

Mate it looks the same to me we clearly we are seeing something different. I have not had any problems. And that was the last of a 5x5 set a little while ago. My strength and form has changed.

Now you're wasting my time. Please disregard and keep on doing it your way. You know best.

Fadi.

Now you're wasting my time. Please disregard and keep on doing it your way. You know best.

Fadi.

What i didnt disregard? I couldnt see the difference. And you be a smart ass to me?

Thanks for nothing. I actually wanted to ask where you trained so i could see some of your lifts and have a chat but i guess your just too elite for me.

Look @ ur butt when u are squatting...
It dips in... while the other guy's butt doesnt dip in

look @ ur video from 12-13 secs, 15-16 secs

cheers