• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cheat meals.....

A calorie might be a calorie to a point, but surely it's quality (balance) that counts more. I can't image a whole lot of muscle growth occurring if you were to just eat carbs all day every day.

Weight loss requires cal deficit

Body recomp requires cal deficit plus high protein plus muscular stimulus... Carbs and fat are personal choice ...

Its funny we know more about nutrition of farm animals than humans because it is much easier to do controlled studies on them.

Most commercial farm animals can have their diets formulated down to the limiting amino acids. You can estimate accurately growth rates down to grams a day. And yes calories in vs caloires out works perfectly.

But conveniently ignores the fact that your body. is very efficient and adapts itself to a lower calorie intake by conserving energy and slowing metabolism to the point where you would have to starve yourself to lose weight. Also ignores that your body when calorie restricted will go into fat saving mode, and if severely restricted will sacrifice as much muscle as fat.

So when restricting calories every kilo lost means half a kilo of muscle gone:eek:

Lol....

It doesnt ignore any of those things.

Exactly what I mean.

Sure you can loose weight by eating only bread (as an example) as long as its less calories that you expend, but you can't gain lean muscle mass by only deriving all your calories from bread/carbs. And if that's true, a calorie is not a calorie if you need calories from specific food groups to achieve a given goal.

Nope...

Cals in vs Cals out is pretty much it...can't argue with physics...

Just a simple yes or no -

If someone was dieting for a bodybuilding show and eating 2500 cals a day - would they have the same results eating 2300 cals of steak and 200 cals of veggies or 2500 calories of toast a day....

Would the results be the same - simple yes or no...

Cant argue with physics, right?

But conveniently ignores the fact that your body is very efficient and adapts itself to a lower calorie intake by conserving energy and slowing metabolism to the point where you would have to starve yourself to lose weight. Also ignores that your body when calorie restricted will go into fat saving mode, and if severely restricted will sacrifice as much muscle as fat.

So when restricting calories every kilo lost means half a kilo of muscle gone:eek:

You can't have weight loss without a calorie deficit. It is impossible.

You just made up the half kg muscle figure.

If someone was dieting for a bodybuilding show and eating 2500 cals a day - would they have the same results eating 2300 cals of steak and 200 cals of veggies or 2500 calories of toast a day....

Exactly my point, WHAT you eat makes all the difference, more so than calories.

Yup can't argue with physics...

Your arguement is invalid...

Cals equals weight gain loss

Macros equals body comp...

Therefore steak and veg wins!

Different macros. Different foods. No one is saying macros are not important. No one is saying different foods are not different.

You are trying to make an argument that no one is arguing.

Exactly what I mean.

Sure you can loose weight by eating only bread (as an example) as long as its less calories that you expend, but you can't gain lean muscle mass by only deriving all your calories from bread/carbs. And if that's true, a calorie is not a calorie if you need calories from specific food groups to achieve a given goal.

Lol.... No nobody said bread would give you gains...

You can't have weight loss without a calorie deficit. It is impossible.

Exactly where cheat meals and and food selection and timing come into it, to try and slow/stop the inevitable slowing of the metabolism.

Been there done that. Eat 2500 cals a day and all is fine till your losses grind to a stop, drop to 2200 and off you go gain, then stops, drop to 2000, and lose a bit more, by the time I had dropped 8 or 10kg I was starving 24/7, and down to eating 1800cals a day. Feeling weak and tired all the time.

If the bulk of your caloric intake comes from shitty foods you will have a shitty physique

Pretty much sums it up I would go further in saying that if a large part comes from shitty food, it does not have to be the bulk, just a percentage, and this percentage will be different for everybody.

Exactly where cheat meals and and food selection and timing come into it, to try and slow/stop the inevitable slowing of the metabolism.

Been there done that. Eat 2500 cals a day and all is fine till your losses grind to a stop, drop to 2200 and off you go gain, then stops, drop to 2000, and lose a bit more, by the time I had dropped 8 or 10kg I was starving 24/7, and down to eating 1800cals a day. Feeling weak and tired all the time.

Been there done that too.

Started off at 3700 calories and stayed at that for months until footy season then upped it to 4500-5000. Never had any cheat days. Lost weight perfectly fine

Nazzy, I understand that. I'm simply making the general point that muscle gains would be very low if you derived all your calories from carbs. And if you can't gain muscle by only eating carb based calories, then the calorie is a calorie theory isn't so water tight. Except purely for weight loss but your body would look like shit when done.