• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Yet again, he's confusing the carb discussion here with the end product that is glucose. And for someone whose aim is to bust a myth, he went on to create another one. He says: "if you're not getting massive amounts of carbs or sugars into your body, your health will suffer, and obviously your performance will suffer, and actually you will die. You will die within a matter of minutes!"

Now he realises what he just said is a fraud, a lie, or some silly scare tactic. So he continues by straight away contradicting the words I highlighted in black. He begins to explain how the body is able to make glucose from both protein and fats.

I honestly feel sorry for both of these camps, the high carbers and the high fat low carb mob. Both can provide an improved and top notch blood work results, proving (to me at least what I've been saying all along), that our body is designed perfectly well to adapt to both type of diets.

At the end of the day, each to his or her own, without the silly scare tactics used by either side. It's something we all can do without...I think.

And you're right Steve, there are some good information in this video. So thank you for uploading it mate.

Thanks for the analysis. What do you think when he says there are 2 essential types of carbohydrates, soluble and insoluble?

Thanks for the analysis. What do you think when he says there are 2 essential types of carbohydrates, soluble and insoluble?
I thought he was digging a deeper hole for himself still, and didn't wish to bother with it. However now that you've asked, my very succinct reply to you Steve is this: fiber is not essential for human life or health.
I told you I'd be succinct. Now if you'd prefer that I elaborate on the subject, I'd prefer providing you with one link (with its many branches), from where you can spend about two days analysing the data provided, which may perhaps convince you one way or the other of what I've just shared with you re this subject.

I repeat yet again, that I do not have to subscribe to a particular way of thinking in order for me to lend it my full support. I am not on a ketogenic diet, yet I understand the rationale and lend it my full support. I am not on a low carb high fat diet, yet again, I understand and fully appreciate its reasoning, and the fact that one of the western countries Sweden has adopted this approach, whilst rejecting the standard food pyramid of today.

Each to his or her own (I recall expressing that thought before). The creation of phobias and the use of scare tactics to achieve them is not something I stand for. If you are making one correct and legitimate point out of 100, then I'll be the first to lend you my support, irrespective if I happen to disagree with your other 99 points or not.

Last edited:
Your current training volume is not particularly high at all. So a lower carb approach is probably okay.
I've done some pretty high volumes on low carb before, at the moment I'm only just getting back into training and trying to work out a good routine.

You were. Aren't you debating for a low carb diet? Well that's how I understood your posts.

I don't know why you think carbs are tasteless. They're all basically forms of sugar.

I love how people on this forum always throw the baby out with the bath water instead of actually reading and understanding what was posted, no where in this thread have I said people need to eat a low car diet, carb intake and your ability to eat carbs and not get fat is entirely set by your activity level.

Rice, pasta, cereal, etc basically are tasteless, who eats a bowl of boiled pasta or rice and thinks it tastes nice? I certainly don't, I much prefer a tasty steak, or pork chop, a rack of BBQ'd ribs, but that is where my taste preference lies, I rather have two eggs and a slice of bacon for breakfast than a bowl of horse feed with skim milk. I also find that I am way more satisfied with two eggs and some bacon, I can eat a bowl of horse feed and still be starving.

I have reposted my original comment so you can attempt to understand it, but you actually need to read and understand what is written instead of scanning the information without understanding what is being said and then jumping to conclusions.

Makes sense as long as you get your 'must haves' such as protein and fats into your daily intake, before 'wasting calories' on carbs which are not required.

Otherwise even though you might be losing weight but a large part of the weight loss may be attributed to muscle loss rather than the desired fat loss.

Keeping on mind that when most people say weight loss they actually mean fat loss as they are two different things, we can reduce unwanted body fat, yet not lose any significant amount of weight, as lean muscle mass will be added in a lot of cases where resistance training is used as part of a fat loss program.

Remembering that :

- 1 gram of protein contains 4 calories
- 1 gram of fat contains 9 calories
- 1 gram of carbohydrates contains 4 calories

Now consider that it is important to maintain a protein intake of 2 gram per kilogram of body weight daily(depending on your school of thought and who you believe this might be less), and a fat intake of 0.85 gram per kilo of body weight to maintain full normal hormonal function, so how much does that leave you to use up on carbohydrates daily to meet your daily calorie deficit???

These are basic calculations that anyone can do themselves based on their own body weight.

You can even work out our daily calorie requirement based on that most peopel will lose weight at around 18-29 callories per day per kilo of body weight, depending on your activity level.

Last edited:
yes, I have adjusted carbs to account for lazy and training days by sticking to my own rules of 1.5gm of protein per kg, and 30-35% of calories from fat.

I have indeed taken notice.

yes, I have adjusted carbs to account for lazy and training days by sticking to my own rules of 1.5gm of protein per kg, and 30-35% of calories from fat.

I have indeed taken notice.

Yes some people take notice some just jump to conclusions.

I happily eat my share of carbs, but I have no inclination to waste my daily calorie intake eating a bowl of cereal or pasta, there are usually more than enough of incidental carbs in the food you consume every day, sauces/marinades on meat will contain carbs, vegetables and salads, will contain carbs, some salad dressings will contain carbs etc etc.

yes, funny enough I have been amazed how quickly your carb intake can escalate when you actually take note of what you are eating.

Yep, even people attempting to eat low carb usually consume a fair amount of incidental carbs without realising.

90% of the time when people say no carb it's not true. To eat no carb you basically have to live on meat, cheese, maybe eggs (although they contain minor amounts of carb). I don't believe true no carb/proper keto is healthy because it requires you to cut out all fruit and veg which is just silly.

You can get quite low carb with a modified range of vegetables and a reasonable diet for the short term.

90% of the time when people say no carb it's not true. To eat no carb you basically have to live on meat, cheese, maybe eggs (although they contain minor amounts of carb). I don't believe true no carb/proper keto is healthy because it requires you to cut out all fruit and veg which is just silly.

You can get quite low carb with a modified range of vegetables and a reasonable diet for the short term.

You can still eat heaps of veggies and be in ketosis

Spot on.

You can still eat heaps of veggies and be in ketosis

Heaps of specific veggies though. A lot of the healthy coloured veggies like pumpkin are higher carb. Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts are about as low carb as it gets. A kilo of broccoli erryday wears thin pretty quick.

Doesn't high protein diet kick you out of ketosis?

Heaps of specific veggies though. A lot of the healthy coloured veggies like pumpkin are higher carb. Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts are about as low carb as it gets. A kilo of broccoli erryday wears thin pretty quick.
True

Doesn't high protein diet kick you out of ketosis?
Some folk claim it does through Gluconeogenesis. There's a bit of debate about it though.

http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html

Yes!

That's one thing people overlook with the keto diet. It's a high fat diet, not a high fat AND high protein diet.

So it's not optimal for building muscle or strength.
I'd be interested to see any evidence that shows you need to limit protein consumption so heavily on a Keto diet that it hampers strength or muscle gains.