• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Yes!

That's one thing people overlook with the keto diet. It's a high fat diet, not a high fat AND high protein diet.

So it's not optimal for building muscle or strength.

Again throwing out the baby with the bath water and ignoring the big picture.

You must aim eat BOTH your daily protein AND fat requirement at your given calorie requirement, then if you are in a ketonic diet you must aim to keep carbs as low as possible to achieve this.

Generally a high protein diet will also be high in fat, most meats have a reasonable fat content, with protein and fat intake being the main sources of food.

You should give it a run and report back after 6-8 weeks of strict ketonic diet meeting your daily calorie goals, what have you got to lose?? It's only two months out of your life with nothing to lose and everything to gain, plus a new life experience.

So Big ick likes the Keto diet along with 5/3/1 BBB (low volume low frequency). Farrrrrkkkkkkk!!!!!!! *shakes head*

I did very low carb/ keto diet a few years back. Didn't work for me. It was like being mildly depressed all the time.

[MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION] ; where I was going with this is large amount of protein would spike insulin, which as far as I am aware would kick you out of ketosis

Can someone familiar with keto confirm that insulin actually effects ketosis to a large degree? Ketosis occurs when your body is using fats as an energy substrate, inuslin goes up and down with foods regardless of whether they are carbs or not. Surely you can still be metabolising fat while insulin rises and falls? The comparative insulin fluctuations to many carb sources is still low.

Is the fact that protein can cause insulin to rise actually in debate? Surely the fact that a protein like WPI will cause a faster rise in insulin that ground beef mince is just common sense given their digestion rates?

Last edited:
Im not sure keto is actually ever needed or optimal anyway to be honest. I cant answer your question, but im not sure why people bother with keto.

So Big ick likes the Keto diet along with 5/3/1 BBB (low volume low frequency). Farrrrrkkkkkkk!!!!!!! *shakes head*

Did you just make this up?? Where did you find that information??

As I have never said any such thing in this thread.

Again a perfect case of someone reading stuff, not understanding what is being said and then just making something up to fill in the gaps in his brain.:p

PS I am guessing you don't understand 5/3/1 either, I would not call 10 sets of squats/bench/press/dead lift as well as accessory work and shooting for a PB four times a week as low volume training. How many PB's have you hit this week??

Last edited:
@Big Mick ; where I was going with this is large amount of protein would spike insulin, which as far as I am aware would kick you out of ketosis

I think you are overthinking things, insulin is need to shuttle nutrients into cells to facilitate growth, so insulin is required by your body.

I don't think insulin SPIKES, but rather elevates to a required level.

I remember reading somewhere that whey protein can be a killer for taking the body out of ketosis, personally I don't follow a ketonic diet and have never worried about it as such.

With the amount of carbs I consume daily I think ketosis would be a long way off, and it's not something I strive for or overly concern myself with.

Just because people don't fill up on horse feed and processed rubbish does not mean they follow a ketonic diet or Paleo diet or any other diet for that matter, it just means they make food choices that suit their personal taste and lifestyle, I could not think of anything worse than eating a bowl of muesli or cereal soaked in a cows mammary fluids for breakfast. Some people may enjoy it, but I certainly don't.

Last edited:
Horse feed. Lol.

Processed rubbish. Lol.

Do we make our food choices on what animals eat the food now. Pigs, crows, maggots will eat meat. So better stop eating meat now since that's pig, ect feed.

Even the act of cutting food up or cooking is processing. Saying you don't eat processed food is meaningless because all food is processed to varying degrees.

Last edited:
The best thing you can do is buy food in it's most natural state and process it how you want when you want and the way you want.

The problem is that most of the shit we buy is processed to a degree and packed by some numpty in a warehouse who couldn't give a shit about you or themselves.

Again throwing out the baby with the bath water and ignoring the big picture.

You must aim eat BOTH your daily protein AND fat requirement at your given calorie requirement, then if you are in a ketonic diet you must aim to keep carbs as low as possible to achieve this.

Generally a high protein diet will also be high in fat, most meats have a reasonable fat content, with protein and fat intake being the main sources of food.

You should give it a run and report back after 6-8 weeks of strict ketonic diet meeting your daily calorie goals, what have you got to lose?? It's only two months out of your life with nothing to lose and everything to gain, plus a new life experience.

That's not keto though. The whole point of a keto diet, and by definition: high in fats, moderate in protein and low in carbs.

Don't get confused between keto and low carb.

In my house, I decide what is processed and by how much

Thats the way it should be. As long as it's not horse feed.

In saying that horses are what 5-600kg. High amounts of muscle and low body fat. Mick should probably try a bit more horse feed.

Last edited: