• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CAPO State Titles

I can imagine your beginning to make quite a stir with your "just a garage" gym hehe

well done, looking forward to the 275 video. you gotta get 3 green lights to be a valid lift?

Nico went 167.5/122.5/235kg and he won Best Junior Lifter.

I am really pleased for all the lifters, they deserve all the plaudits they recieve.

I got a few comments from other lifters there about our garage.

The reason I put such importance on credible contest lifts is: Nicks 275kg deadlift would pass in every gym around the world, including mine, but a 1-2cm dip by the bar, not hitching, was all it took for all 3 judges to give him a red light, you need 2 for a good lift.

Nick was unaware he had red lighted, it was a tremendous lift after 6 hours of lifting.

I honestly expect Nick to pull over 285kg at the Nats.

Max will start loading videos on our YouTube channel tonight when he gets home from school, somewhere in between his squat session.

Most of the lifters who competed yesterday are back in the gym tonight.

Nico is a strong young bloke isn't he :p
I was hoping I'd be a bit closer to him by nats with a 115-160-220 but he will most likely have another 30kg on his total by then :(

Tell him good work, and I'm going to try my best to catch him :)
Posted via Mobile Device

This is my 275kg lift that was red lighted.

[YOUTUBE]n4tPpWqhb5c[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
how the **** is that not a lift??? Is it because it dipped going up?? It still got up there!

Retards

Good lift mate! - to bad for the slight hitching.

Will def smash that at the nats + some!

Noobs, thats what I mean by gym lifts having little validity, you called them retards, but they got it 100% correct. Most lifters would be shocked that their lifts wouldnt pass at a comp. I encourage every lifter to compete, especially now that we have RAW powerlifting in Australia.

PTC NEWSLETTER
# 129
CAPO VIC STATE POWERLIFTING TITLES

I’m writing this newsletter on Monday, the morning after the CAPO Vic State Titles. This newsletter will be read by many people on many different websites with varying degrees of lifting experience, so please bare with me, and don’t simply expect that everyone will be an experienced lifter like yourself.

Right from the start I want to thank 3 people who made this event easily the most enjoyable I have been to, Barry Murray, Paul Nay and Steve Brown.

I have often stated that CAPO is run for lifters by lifters. I’m not going to embarrass the 3 guys by talking about their lifts, but 400kg squats and the like show they may know a thing or two about lifting.

Barry Murray as the announcer was outstanding. Half the battle to running a good show is right there. He filled the room with anticipation and excitement, encouraged the lifters, complimented the lifters and most of all helped the lifters. Some of his calls on the day won’t be forgotten. I’ve known Barry for over 20 years so I knew what to expect, but my lifters didn’t. They had a blast, Fat Dave, Nico “The Big Banana” and others really had a chuckle at Barry’s calling.

Being a sensational lifter, he knows damn well how a lifter feels entering the stage, as a coach he knows that a few quiet words to someone going up in a nervous state could make the difference, and as a spectator he knows what a crowd needs to get them in the mood. I have my fingers crossed that the greatest powerlifter in Australia EVER, Adam Coe, will join Barry as a joint caller at the Nationals, these guys go back a long way.

Barry, you made the show.

Steve Brown provided and organized the best equipment I have ever seen at a show. This was world class standards, and I know the PTC lifters really appreciated the opportunity to lift with the best equipment available, anywhere. From the warm ups to the unofficial World Records that were broken, the whole event ran seamlessly. His understanding of what a lifter needs to perform at his best is unchallenged. A true gentleman of the sport, every PTC lifter that met Steve for the first time was blown away by his demeanour and understanding. You couldn’t ask for anyone better at putting a world class show together than Steve.

Thank you Steve, from every PTC lifter.

Paul Nay is the president of CAPO. Here is a guy that will do ANYTHING to have someone take up the sport of powerlifting. I have been in contact with Paul for over a year, we have been trying to get together to help CAPO grow. Raw lifting has been introduced, and I had no hesitation throwing my support behind the movement. Paul will be responsible for the growth of CAPO and powerlifting in Australia. He has vision and commitment not often seen by officials, who make life difficult for someone trying to get started in lifting. This guy simply says “what do you need” and gets it done. He should be extremely proud at getting 32 lifters to the CAPO Vic State Titles, this truly is a remarkable effort. I can’t imagine there be less than 50 at next year’s event.

Thank you very much Paul, and that’s from all my lifters that competed and the others who will soon be competing, thanks to your vision.

Now, I firmly believe that the reason these guys are at as high a level as you can possibly be in their roles at CAPO is because of their lifting. These guys aren’t ass clowns, they are elite lifters and coaches. Nobody knows more than these 3, and if they do, they don’t display it.

The weightlifting centre was packed with spectators, they came to see a brilliant show put on by brilliant people. Powerlifting doesn’t normally get these kinds of crowds. They will from now on. Nobody knows more than me that word of mouth is the best publicity you can get. I cannot think of a single reason why anybody, aside from Nick who had his 275kg deadlift disallowed, would have a single reason to complain. Not one. I’m glad there were a few lifters from the other side come and watch.

Now to thank some others before I get down to the lifters. Scott was the platform manager and was superb. He is a big reason why the show ran as good as it did. Here is another volunteer who is selfless. Cheers big fella, thank you.

The spotters, oh my God. Sean and Mick were absolutely stuffed, they went the whole show. Hamish, Simmo, Simon and others did a brilliant job, but Sean and Mick went all day. I’m pretty sure they will be competing next time as it involves a whole lot less lifting. From all the lifters, thank you very much.

The referees were spot on with their calls. Laurie drove down from Albury to lend a hand, another one of the greatest lifters the sport has ever seen, driving 4 hours to ref another states titles. Can you guys see a recurring theme here? Exceptional lifters doing an exceptional role.

It’s why I keep claiming that Capo is run by lifters for lifters.

The scorer’s table couldn’t have run better. Not one lifter had a problem with a weight, pin height or rack position. Flawless. It may seem trivial, but not if you’re a nervous lifter. It’s all the little things that make the big things big. Thank you.

We had 32 competitors, over 20 officials, 10 or so coaches, hundreds of spectators, and every person in that room wanted every person lifting to succeed on every lift. Might not sound like much, but I doubt it’s been seen very often.

To everyone involved, thank you for making my Sunday the most pleasant day I have had at a lifting comp.

Now to the stars, the lifters. After all, that’s why we were there.

First off, I’d like to thank the experienced lifters who helped out my group. I had 16 lifters there, and it was impossible to help all of them with every issue. Maria helped warm up my girls and generally relax them, the ref’s and officials were great in giving them pointers, Barry encouraged them like they were his own.

Every PTC lifter had a positive experience, and for that CAPO will be rewarded with even more lifters at future comps.

All 16 PTC lifters actually lifted in 16 different weight classes or categories, no two went up against each other, they all did extremely well. With raw lifting only being a couple of years old, we set plenty of National Records. It’s not a big deal to some because some classes had no National Records. What some don’t know is that lots of World Records were also broken, these will become official at the National Titles.

Awards were handed out in 4 categories rather than weight classes, with many classes having only 1 lifter compete, this is the way powerlifting currently stands. In the future I hope to see weight classes full so we can get 1st 2nd and 3rd trophies. Lots of PTC lifters won their class and set National Records, but we simply divided the categories into four, and gave first down to whatever.

The categories were

Best female lifter
Best teenage lifter
Best junior lifter
Best open lifter

Nina won the best female lifter, Nico won the best junior lifter and Kelly won the best open lifter, so 3 out of 4 is a good day.

Max finished 2nd in the teenage section, Jayden finished 2nd in the junior section and Nick finished 2nd in the open section.

Dimi finished 3rd in the ladies section, Daryl finished 3rd in the teenage section.

Lots of National records were set for the first time, and some broke existing records. Kelly broke the 82.5kg class record for the squat and deadlift, Max now has the 18yo record in the 75kg class for deadlift and total, he also equalled the squat record, Daryl broke the open record in the 67.5kg class for squat, bench and total, Dimi broke the record in the 82.5kg class for squat, bench and total, Annie broke the record in the 75kg class for bench press.

James set 4 National Records, Nina set 8 National records, open and masters, Vicki set 4 National Records, as did Nathan, Nico, Dimi in the juniors, Jayden, Daryl in the teenage section, Max now has 6 National Records and has equalled one.

He is moving up to the 82.5kg class, where he just broke all 4 World Records, and will hope to make them official at the National Titles, where it’s the only place you can claim a World Record.

Interesting people I met.

Daniel America, two time World kick boxing champion. He lifted in the 110kg Raw section, and managed 180kg squat, 145kg bench and 220kg deadlift from memory. What a classy guy. A couple of my lifters train at Kick Fit in Dandenong which is his gym, they rave about him. One of my other clients who was there watching recognized him and told me he was world champ, Daniel himself would never tell you.

Greg Gordon. I’m not much of a fan of equipped lifting as you guys may have noticed, but this boy is something special. He is 18yo and squatted 295kg. Freak.

Gawain Johnston, whoever the **** is feeding this guy, stop it. Gawain provided protein drinks for all my lifters on the day, an extremely generous gesture by and extremely nice giant. He is a svelte 160kg at the moment.

As a coach, my highlights were

Kelly deadlifting 255kg @ 79kg...National Record
Max deadlifting 215kg @ 74kg....National Record
Daryl benching 110kg @ 66kg.....National Record
Dim deadlifting 190kg @ 69kg....PB
James not killing himself
Dave not farting once, well none that anyone heard anyway
Sean working harder as a spotter than he ever has in the gym

I will put up full contest results in the near future. I would like to send out a cheerio to Alen, who hurt his back.

Alen pulled his first 215kg deadlift easily, but returned the bar to the ground before the down signal. He then attempted a heavier weight that got away from him, but he wouldn’t quit on the lift and managed to tweak his back, and subsequently bombed out.

Only Max had competed raw previously, 4 weeks earlier in Albury. He totalled 467.5kg, and in the following weeks turned 18 and moved to a different category.

He equalled the squat record of 170kg, broke the deadlift record of 210kg with a 215kg effort and broke the total record of 480kg with a 487.5kg total, a 20kg increase in 4 weeks.

I expect most of the lifters backing up for the Nats in 13 weeks to improve their totals accordingly.

See you all at the Nats
Markos

Noobs, thats what I mean by gym lifts having little validity, you called them retards, but they got it 100% correct. Most lifters would be shocked that their lifts wouldnt pass at a comp. I encourage every lifter to compete, especially now that we have RAW powerlifting in Australia.

But can i compete in raw?

Is raw equipment free and drug free? Im confused by what they are...

The point that i see i suppose is.. He lifted 275kg i dont know about the rules obviously as i have never watched competed or even looked into it.. But the weight didnt move on its own.. he picked it up locked it out.

Good enough for my books... Competitions books are a different story i suppose but to me he made the lift.

He didnt make the lift by the rules. If he only squatted a little bit down on the squat, does it count, he made the lift, the bar didnt lift itself, same goes with bench press.

Competition lifts are MUCH harder than gym lifts, 3 referees watch your your every move.

Raw simply means you can only use a belt, thats it, run what you brung, no help with wraps and suits.

Do it.

Do it.

Noobs - you can compete raw - anyone can - thats the beauty of it - all you need is a soft suit and away you go!

Raw is no equipment.

A gym lift is alot different to a comp lift.

You've got almost identical lifts to me noobs. Just do it :p

the way I see it, if you get used to the comps now, when we are "strong" it should be a walk in the park.......

.... Maybe :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for forwarding the email to me,

Max is such a beast, really. That's an insane total for his age and weight!

Congrats to Markos, you should be very proud of what all your lifters have achieved and congrats to all lifters!

EDIT: just saw nick's huge deadlift, man i'd give it a white light just for the effort :D
EDIT2: The dude who outlifted Max, what did he lift?

Last edited:
I am so pissed off i went off the rails and did'nt compete, 8 weeks out from the comp and i had the state records by a long way! (QLD that is)

Not a hitch Joel, just a slight bar dip.

Oh well it may not have counted to my total but it's still a personal record.
Posted via Mobile Device