• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CAPO State Titles

Brendo - I think it may be the right idea to focus on the vic's gives you another few weeks to do abit of a mini prep - I may and its a big maybe going down to the Vic's so my gf can compete - if we can get some solid training over the next few weeks i'll prob see if she wants to have a crack at it.

I'll have a chat to you at the gym anyway mate!

I spoke to Laurie today, he says he has 31 lifters for the NSW State titles.

How friggin good is that?

Only a handful are lifting equipped. Laurie has been pushing the RAW lifting for 15 years.

We now have to beat 31 for the Vic state titles in 3 weeks.

Joel, are you coming to the Nationals in November?

I spoke to Laurie today, he says he has 31 lifters for the NSW State titles.

How friggin good is that?

Only a handful are lifting equipped. Laurie has been pushing the RAW lifting for 15 years.

We now have to beat 31 for the Vic state titles in 3 weeks.

Joel, are you coming to the Nationals in November?

Good stuff mate - that is great!

I will be there this weekend and also thinking of competing at the nationals!

PTC NEWSLETTER
# 127
NSW CAPO STATE TITLES

I’m writing this newsletter on the morning after the CAPO NSW State Powerlifting Titles. As some of you know, a few of us went up for a look, with Max competing. It’s been three years since I’ve been to a powerlifting comp, and with 13 lifters from PTC competing at the VIC state titles, I thought it would be a good idea to go and have a look. It was also Max’s last chance to lift as a 17yo, as he turns 18 just before the Vic’s.

Right off the bat, I have to say I was blown away by how friendly every single competitor was. Everyone in our group said the same thing. From the warm ups to the platform, everybody was incredibly helpful. With the comp organizer being Laurie Butler, who is from the Old School, nothing less should’ve been expected. This was the way I remembered powerlifting back in the 80’s.

There were around 30 competitors, which is an excellent result. There will be a hell of a lot more next year, with me taking up quite a few from Victoria. Around 25 of those competing lifted in the RAW category. I don’t have to tell you guys how I feel about that, pushing the RAW barrow from the inception of PTC, and from day one with my lifting. Laurie tells me he has been pushing the RAW concept for 15 years. For those that don’t know, Laurie has bench pressed 200kg @ 90kg RAW. He has also set world records in the equipped section, so this guy really knows his stuff. He isn’t very impressed with the “assistance” modern gear provides.

I was watching a very strong female competitor warm up, she squatted 100kg extremely easily raw, she then fitted her squat suit. What happened next blew me away. She loaded 140kg on the bar, and couldn’t even get close to legal squat depth, but she stood up like she had 40kg on her back. Laurie commented to her coach that she’ll need to get much lower than that, to which he replied that 140kg wasn’t nearly enough weight to drive her to legal depth. He said going down was the hard bit, standing up was easy. Think about that for a minute. She attempted 180kg in competition, I don’t recall if she made it or not, to be fair I paid very little attention to the equipped lifters. With the majority of the competition made up of RAW lifters, this was where the excitement was.

There was a lifter there called Tom, he came from the Elite Powerlifting Club, based in Canberra. The boys from Elite were the standout lifters in my opinion. They all had excellent technique, as much muscle as you’ll ever see and enough strength to push Tasmania a little further away if needed. To all you skinny guys that read this and want to know about supersets and body part splits, Creatine and NoExplode, go and have a look at these boys train. THEY ARE MASSIVE. From what I can remember, all of them lifted raw.

Anyway, back to Tom. This boy had too much muscle, he should give some of it away. He stood about 5’8”, sorry if your taller Tom, and weighed in at 108kg. He squatted 230kg, real low, in perfect form, without a belt. He later benched 175kg, remember that these guys bench with a pause in competition. I left before his deadlifts, but anywhere around 250-260kg wouldn’t surprise me.

I asked him about the no belt. He said he had tried them, he just didn’t feel right in them. This guys form, attitude and build are of the highest calibre, as was most of the boys from that club. It was a pleasure to watch them lift. There was another lifter from Elite there called Ariel, what a monster. From memory he squatted over 250kg weighing around the 100kg mark.

The results from the comp will be on the CAPO website, make sure you check them out to see some outstanding RAW lifting.

Another club there with impressive lifters were PowerSports. Joel has done a great job with the boys from PowerSports. Matt was another one of the top lifters on the day. He is one of the top juniors in the sport. I got to spend a lot of time talking with Matt. For a young guy, he is very switched on. He has squatted 302.5kg @ 91kg equipped before. He has now decided to lift RAW at a lighter bodyweight. He has quite a few RAW records already. He broke some yesterday.

Looking at him, he is the biggest 71kg guy I have ever seen. Max was tiny next to him, and Max weighed 72kg, although Matt is shorter. He told me he had spent 20 hours in the sauna on Friday before his Saturday weigh in. He was wearing a hoodie and track pants, with plastic underneath. He had his mum come in and check on him every 10 minutes.

Competition allows a 24 hour weigh in, so Matt was able to weigh in 24 hours before the comp. On Saturday morning after his endurance event in the Sauna on Friday, he weighed in at 71kg. On the morning of the comp, 24 hours later, he weighed 83kg. That explains why he looked 10kg heavier than Max on Sunday, he was. That is dedication. Sometimes lifting the weights is the easy part, preparation and eating are factors most ignore. His competition prep was an eye opener.

Anyone looking to maximise results, take notice of what the best do, that is who you learn the most from. Make no mistake, Matt is one of the best, and a very funny guy as well. I’m looking forward to catching up with him at the Nationals in August.

The kind of information Matt shared with me, and anyone else who was interested, was one of the reasons we went to Albury for the comp. Max couldn’t win, as he is Victorian, thank God, but the experience is what we were after. Did we learn anything? Hell yes. Instead of worrying about our weight, with Max coming in too light because he wanted to make sure he came in under 75kg, we will lift at over 80kg and sweat the excess off. Max weighed 76kg the weekend before, but ultimately came in too light at 72kg. More on this later.

Blake is a young man that has been a PTC supporter since its inception. He lives in Canberra and lifts under the PowerSports banner. Joel has done a great job with him. Blake has competed at PTC comps and has a hunger for competition.

At Australia Day 2010, Blake weighed 69kg and managed a 115kg squat, 90kg bench and 180kg deadlift. Yesterday he weighed in at 63kg and squatted 120kg, benched 90kg and deadlifted 190kg. He is only 18 and was the only other teenager at the comp. He set the National Records for his class. There weren’t any records in his class, or Max’s before the comp, hopefully a few more lifters will start competing raw.

What Max and Blake did though, was break the existing equipped records in their weight and age class. Now LOTS of lifters have competed in these classes, but Blake and Max were able to beat all their deadlift attempts RAW, without the use of a belt either. Blake too lifts without a belt.

The record in the Equipped 18/19yo 67.5kg class was 185.5kg set in 2003. Blake pulled 190kg and took a fourth attempt 192.5kg for triple bodyweight and to set the mark even higher but just couldn’t lock it out. Blake and Max will be chasing World Records in the WPC at the Nationals. You can’t set World Records at a state level comp. More on this later.

So how did Max go at his first ever official comp? He went okay. Waking up at 3.30 am on Sunday morning and driving to Albury from Frankston, a 4 hour drive is not ideal, but most lifters will need to learn how to perform in less than ideal situations if they are to prosper.

Max weighed in at 72kg, which is way too light for him, seven days earlier he was 76kg.

He warmed up with his squats and was done15 minutes before he took his first attempt of 160kg. He made a very easy lift, but then had to wait another 20 minutes before his second attempt of 170kg, a weight he has never missed. He missed it badly. He had gone stone cold waiting. We had never waited that long between attempts. He went back to warm up again, but 140kg felt heavy and he said he wanted to go all the way down to 60kg and tart his warm up again. I thought this was a waste of time, so we passed on his 3rd attempt and planned for a big deadlift instead.

He opened with 90kg in the bench, made 95kg on his second attempt and tried to equal his PB of 100kg paused on his 3rd attempt, but missed it after a hard fight.

The deadlifts went smoothly, he took 190kg, made 200kg on his second then set a PB with 212.5kg on his third attempt.

Max too has now set the National Records in the 16/17yo 75kg class. There were no records previously, so it’s hard to determine how he went. Looking at the equipped section, a 200kg deadlift record had existed for 6 years, he broke that RAW by 12.5kg. He had also planned to break the squat and total record set in the equipped section, but things didn’t work out.

Even though he broke the Equipped Records while lifting Raw, he had decided to lift in the Raw section so you can’t break records in another section, same as he couldn’t win the NSW state titles. This was done for experience, and it was a brilliant learning experience.

The Vic state titles on May the 16th is our next comp. I will have 13 lifters to look after, so I’ll be busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

CAPO is an affiliate of the World Powerlifting Congress on the world stage. They recently added a RAW division, so the records in some categories are not exceptional, in others they are. It’s only going to get stronger, and for that to happen we need lifters to lift RAW at National comps and set world records that are of a high standard.

Max smashed the existing world records in the WPC raw section, but because they were set at a State level comp, they don’t count, they have to be broken at the Nationals. At the Nationals, Max will be lifting as an 18yo in the 82.5kg class. The current World Records in that age and weight class are

WPC 18/19yo 82.5kg Raw World Records
Squat - 160kg
Bench press - 105kg
Deadlift – 210kg
Total – 475kg

This RAW category is fairly new so the records currently aren’t exceptional, we will do our best to set higher marks come November. Hats off to the WPC and CAPO for adding raw categories, other federations stick their heads in the sand when it comes to RAW lifting, putting it in the too hard basket. If you want to lift RAW in Australia, then you HAVE to lift with CAPO, and CAPO is tied in with WPC, the World Powerlifting Congress.

There is another Federation in Australia called Powerlifting Australia. They don’t have a RAW section, only equipped. Still, I thought I’d compare Max’s lifts to kids his own age wrapped up like mummies. The records in the 18yo category with complete assistance gear, bench shirts, squat suits, erector shirts, knee wraps, wrist wraps, belts and super duper undies (I’m not joking) are

PA National Records 18yo 75kg class equipped
Squat 195kg
Bench press 142.5kg
Deadlift 225kg
Total 542.5kg

Max hasn’t turned 18 yet, but I reckon he would break the squat and deadlift equipped records in that Federation raw before the end of the year. What a pity they don’t offer Raw competition, I guess there are too many fragile egos over there. They have drug testing so that nobody gets too lift 40-50kg more than their natural strength allows, but you can wear a squat suit that adds up to 100kgs in some instances. How’s that for borderline moronic and totally hypocritical. I really wish they would add a Raw section giving lifters a choice, as it stands, if you want to lift Raw, CAPO is the answer.

So while setting National records without any competition is a hollow feeling, comparing his efforts to Raw World Records and Equipped National records gives his efforts some sense of achievement.

Either way, I have been looking at the WPC World Records in the Raw divisions, I ‘m pretty sure quite a few are going to be broken at the National Titles in August.

I’d like to give a big thanks too Laurie and Taylor for putting on a brilliant show and making the atmosphere as friendly as I have experienced. We’ll definitely be back, and I urge EVERYONE to support CAPO and Laurie and get to their next comp.

Also, if you are in Albury, you would be nuts to lift anywhere else other than his Supershape gym. He has everything you need there. I had a ball playing on his Nautilus Equipment, I love that shit.

Stay strong, stay raw, and throw your belt away

Markos

www.ptcfrankston.com

For those interested here are the videos from the comp

YouTube - PTCFrankston's Channel

Last edited:
great newsletter marcos, it's interesting how these powerlifting meets work.

props to Max for giving it his all, being in a car 4 hours before a meet isn't too great.

i went to watch Powerlifting Australia event a week or two ago in Perth. Everyone had belts and knee wraps, no-one was lifting raw. wasn't really my scene.

i'll definitely be attending CAPO's meet in Perth on the 30th May. I might even consider competing for fun :eek:

Great read - I would just like to say what a really great day it was! - It was great to meet Markos and the guys from PTC - I was really looking forward to that.

And also to Matt, Luke, Blake and Max - you guys were great! - 9 Aussie records between you guys.

I honestly can not wait for the nationals and having all the PowerSports and PTC guys competing!

Does anyone know if they have a CAPO state titles for QLD? All I know of is a few Powerlifting clubs in QLD.

I googled it and found an old website for CAPO that is out of date.

8th of May for the CAPO QLD State titles

Queensland

Event

Title:STATE TITLESWhen: 08.05.2010 Category: Queensland Description

Start: 12:00pm

Address: 76 Simmons Rd, North Ipswich.

Contact Person: Mason Jardine 0412 660242 may 8th, the venue will be at 76 simmons rd North Ipswich the home of Mason Jardine (who has kindly allowed the use of his trainig facility). Lifting will start at 12pm with warm up from 11am-12pm, weigh in on day will be from 10am-11am. This will be a full 3 lift comp. for both raw and equipped lifters for more info feel free to contact Mason 0412660242 or Dom 0418191087,look forward to seeing YOU soon
CONTACT DOM 0418191087

Queensland - STATE TITLES

Hmmm....... I'm on my phone, but are any RAW records for a guy that's 83kg and 22yo?
I'd be keen to lift or at the very least watch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmmm....... I'm on my phone, but are any RAW records for a guy that's 83kg and 22yo?
I'd be keen to lift or at the very least watch.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am pretty sure there are no current records for juniors 82.5kg - what numbers you looking at doing?

That's some arse kicking from PTC!

Pity about Powerlifting Australia not offering a RAW division. I train right next to one of their gyms and am thinking about joining - just to train among strong folks. I want to compete one day for fun, but it doesn't seem very kosher to train at Powerlifting Australia yet compete at CAPO.

Sticky is currently at around 450kg, thats a good total.

I'll have someone at the Vics in the 82.5kg doing 180/160/260/ but he's 25 I think. He's aiming for 600kg.

Just compete and get an OFFICIAL total, then you'll always just be competing against yourself, dont worry about the others.

There may not be a RAW Junior Total in the 82.5kg class, but if you dont set one, who will?