• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Did first day of this split today. Felt good, made reasonable time. I expect to shave a bit more time off as I go.

This is the basic template, actual exercises not assigned yet. I am coming off a split which hit everything hard once per week, with the exception of traps and calves which I've been training twice per week for some time now.

V= Volume F= Frequency

Frequency workouts will be no less than half the volume of a V workout, probably slightly more.

The idea is that everything will be trained 3 times in a two week period. One week will be a single high volume workout followed by two lower volume (but higher frequency) workouts the following week.

I hope that this will allow me to:

a) utilise some of the benefits of increased frequency;

b) improve recovery by allowing me to spread the load al ittle e.g. I split legs into two - a quad focussed session and a glutes/hams focussed session. So on the week where those two sessions are high volume I will have lower volume but higher frequency chest and back;

c) Reduce time in the gym. Even though overall volume will not decrease and will likely increase training a greater variety of muscle groups per workout allows you to maintain a better pace as fatigue is less acute. Recently workouts have been 2 hrs most days, sometimes over.

Bear in mind this is only training 4 days per week. A fifth day is easily accommodated and would further reduce the workload per session. I have been using a lot of drop sets recently and although I will continue to use them in the high volume workouts, will be definitely using them in frequency sessions (low volume) to keep the intensity and density high.

Wk.1Pecs VQuards FBack VQuads F
Tris FGlutes/Hams FTris FGlutes/Hams F
Bis FCalves VBis FDelts V
Traps FForearmsTraps F
Abs V
Wk.2Pecs SQuads VPecs FGlutes/Hams V
Tris VDelts FBack FDelts F
Back FCalves FBis VCalves F
Abs FForearmsTraps VAbs F

Last edited:
Didn't see this post. I "toyed with" running a PPL on a 4 day per week basis which will get everything worked 3 times over near a 2 week period.

As you get older I think the greater frequency requiring the use of more compound movements keeps your hormone levels higher, remembering our hormones take a dive post 30. The extra hormone level may not result in greater muscle development but it will certainly will give you a greater sense of well being and health. The added frequency should give you more muscle development once your body has adapted to the frequency.

Have you thought of running a 4 day PHAT?

Yeah I ran PHAT over a 5 day split for a few months towards the end of last year. Didn't mind it, saw some strength gains but the way I was structured it was a lot of volume and I found the workouts just went for too long. I can't do 2 sets of anything so 3 was the minimum. I also added in forearms and another traps exercise I think. This was my basic template:

1. Upper Power:
Power pressing:Flat BBBP3 x 3-5
Assistance Pressing:BBMP Stand.3 x 6-10
Assistance Pressing:Weighted Dips2-3 x 6-10
Power Pull:BOBB Row3 x 3-5
Assistance Pull:Weighted Pull-ups2-3 x 6-10
Auxillary Pull:Chest Supported Row2-3 x 6-10
Auxillary Curl (Bi):Stand BB curl:3 x 6-10
Auxillary Extension (Tri)2h DB Tricep press:3 x 6-10
2. Lower Power:
Power Pressing:Alternate BB squat/Sumo DL3 x 3-5
Assist Press:Hack Squat2-3 x 6-10
Assist Extension:Leg extension2-3 x 6-10
Assist Pull:SLDL/RDL3 x 5-8
Assist curl:Lying/Standing Ham curl2-3 x 6-10
Auxillary Calf:Straight leg calve raise3 x 6-10
Auxillary Calf:Bent leg calve raise2-3 x 6-10
3. Hyper. Back/Delts/Traps:
Pull Speed work:BOBB Row 65-70% Power Weight6 x 3
Hyper. Pull:Pro. med grip pull-up (W)3 x 10-12
Hyper. pull:Close Grip Pulldown (W)2-3 x 12-15
Hyper. pull:Seated Cable Row (Th)3 x 8-12
Hyper. pull:1 arm BODB Row (Th)2-3 x 12-15
Hyper. Extension:Weighted Hyperextensions3 x 10-12
Hyper. Delts Compound:DB Press variation3 x 8-12
Hyper. Delts Lateral:Lat Raises3 x 12-15
Hyper. Delts Posterior:Rear Delt Flyes DB3 x 12-15
Hyper. Delts Anterior:Smith BTN Press3 x 10-15
Hyper. Traps:BB Shrug3 x 8-12
Hyper. Traps:Shrug variation2-3 x 12-15
4. Hyper. Legs:
Press Speed Work:Back Squat 65-70% Power Weight6 x 3
Hyper. Press:Front Squats3 x 8-12
Hyper. Press:Leg Press2-3 x 12-15
Hyper. Extension:Leg extension3 x 15-20
Hyper. Pull:BB Glute Bridge3 x 8-12
Hyper. Pull:RDL2 x 8-12
Hyper. Curl:Lying Ham curl2 x 12-15
Hyper. Curl:Seated Ham curl2 x 15-20
Hyper. Calve:Standing Calve press3 x 15-20
Hyper. Calve:Bent Leg Calve Press3 x 15-20
5. Hyper Pecs/Tris/Bis:
Press Speed Work:DBBP/BBBP 65-70% Power Weight6 x 3
Hyper. Press:Incline DBBP3 x 8-12
Hyper. Press:Hammer Press3 x 12-15
Hyper. Flye:Stand Cable Flye (Low Pulley)2-3 x 15-20
Hyper. Press:Smith Decline BP3 x 12-15
Hyper. Extension:Skull Crushers3 x 8-12
Hyper. Extension:Cable Press-downs2-3 x 12-15
Hyper. Extension:O/H Rope Extension, Kneel.3 x 15-20
Hyper. Curl:Standing BB Curl3 x 8-12
Hyper. Curl:Incline DB curls3 x 12-15
Hyper. Curl:Spider Curls3 x 15-20

Last edited:
That Frequency and Volume program looks interesting, best of luck with it [MENTION=17457]Repacked[/MENTION];

Looking at that PHAT program of yours I just realized that Layne Norton's Back Squat is more like a regular Deadlift than his Sumo Deadlift due to the hinging at the hips, or not. ;)

Remembering that Sumo Deads aren't really Deadlifts hey @WoodyAllen;

That Frequency and Volume program looks interesting, best of luck with it @Repacked;

Cheers mate, I'll give it a crack for a few months and see what I reckon. Like I said there's ample room for another day in there, any other tweaks I'll sort out along the way. I always end up changing a few things here and there.

Not many of us do...I'm just here for the laughs

So what did you do today [MENTION=17457]Repacked[/MENTION] ; and what will tomorrow look like?

So what did you do today @Repacked ; and what will tomorrow look like?

As an example today was:

S/S = Super set, ds = drop set, W/u = warm up, Wk = working sets

Pecs:
Incline DBBP
W/u: 20, 12,6
Wk: 12,9,9,ds6, ds7, ds14

Smith Incline BP S/S Cable crossovers:
17/15, 15/12, 12/12, 6

Seated chest press:
12,11,10,11, ds7

Decline DBBP:
8, 8, 7, ds5

Tris:
Skullcrushers (EZ bar) D/S

W/u: 20, 12, 8
Wk: 13, ds10, 9, ds6, 9, ds5

Pushdowns (EZ bar)
9, 10, 14, ds12

Bis: (DS)
W/u: 16
Wk: 14, ds12, 12, ds10, 14, ds12

Standing isolation curls/Arnold curls
15, 15, 15, 15

Traps:
1 arm cable shrugs:
15, 15, 15, 12

There was a bit of trying to find the right weight etc given the change in exercise order. Some reps a little higher than they will be next week.

Tomorrow I'll sort out tomorrow...

* in b4 'wut!? no BBBP?!?' Not today...

Last edited:
Right, back to the gym today. Had a week off and abused my privileges to the maximum. Ate a banana cake, 2.5l of ice cream, pizza, the annual Mcdonalds meal, plenty of beers...then a few more... and just generally ate whatever my tastebuds fancied and didn't count a thing. Reckon I put on a bit but it was great. Protein was kept reasonably high.

Back to a more stringent diet today. After trying a new split for a cople of weeks I have abandoned it. Workouts were still taking me 2 hrs minimum and it was just knackering. I'm going back to a 5 day bro split. Today was legs which will be the longest of the lot, and although volume will go up a little over the next couple of weeks I was done in 75 mins including calves. I reckon an hour for the other muscle groups should be about right. 5 days straight might be a bit of a pain in the ass but I reckon the reduced duration should more than offset that.