• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Better Chest Exercise than BP?

mate I can almost guarantee you that your lack of chest development is due to bad form rather then exercise choice. You are doing the right exercises to build muscle, and as long as your eating/sleeping enough your not over training.

You are using your front delts and triceps too much in the bench press. To really hit your chest, you need to leave your ego at the door (lucky your in the garage). For bench Drop the weight by 25%, make sure your rear delts are on the bench (almost squeeze your lats together). Expand your chest as if your trying to touch the roof with it. Make sure your rear delts stay right down for the whole movement. Make sure your chest is fully stretched at the bottom of the rep and concentrate on the muscle contracting to lift the weight rather then your arms pushing it up.

i went through this, it's a common problem... The chest is sometimes a hard muscle to develop mind muscle connection, but it will come eventually...

Make sense?

This sounds like pretty good advice Craft thanks, I'll give this a go. I've often thought my technique was poor on bench. I've tried reading different things on form but nothing really worked. I'm sure I'm using too much shoulders, hence why their growth is more advanced than other body parts.

Here is a thought, even with shit technique you should still have been going up in weight pushed each week. Are you increasing your weight or amount of reps each week?

Noob, I've got a power rack with high-low pulley and pull-up bar attached (Muscle Motion), bench, oly bar, ezy bar, spinlock dbs.

Crawl before you walk is the analogy that should be presented with every beginner.
I learned that the hard way, just like 95% of people here.

Here is a thought, even with shit technique you should still have been going up in weight pushed each week. Are you increasing your weight or amount of reps each week?

Yeah I have Dave. I was doing BP for the first 2 months or so, never felt like it was doing much for me, then read a few articles about guys who don't even rate it as best chest exercise, so focused on DB presses, flyes, dips. For about 2 months I hardly did any barbell bp, but resumed them and been doing them for the last 2-3 mths, with shoulders getting most gains. I've been going up in 2.5 kgs increments over this period.

Sorry mate - This is not good advice for someone trying to gain size. Maybe for a powerelifter, but def not a bodybuilder... Form is crucial first.

You may be able to bench 90kg's with bad form, but only really hit your chest 30%... Your much better off dropping the weight to 70kg and hit your chest 100% with long, full-stretched reps.

To add to crafts post, most important to make sure your shoulder blades are not pinned against the bench, a common fault with bp is it doesn't allow scapula movement.

Consider this; reduce the weight of the bp and do as many rep's as you can, until complete fatigue, now without any rest at all pick up the dumbells and perform as many flys as you can, I guarentee you will feel your pecs burning.
Do this for a month.
Posted via Mobile Device

Consider this; reduce the weight of the bp and do as many rep's as you can, until complete fatigue, now without any rest at all pick up the dumbells and perform as many flys as you can, I guarentee you will feel your pecs burning.
Do this for a month.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shit that's a loooong workout lol :eek:

Sorry mate - This is not good advice for someone trying to gain size. Maybe for a powerelifter, but def not a bodybuilder... Form is crucial first.

It was not advice I was pointing out that after 7 months of lifting and having a BP that low that he must be doing something wrong other than just his technique.
Posted via Mobile Device

You may be able to bench 90kg's with bad form, but only really hit your chest 30%... Your much better off dropping the weight to 70kg and hit your chest 100% with long, full-stretched reps.

All good body builders have a power back gorund...

Just like most v8 supercar drivers came from racing carts when they were kids...

You cant write a book if well you cant write!

It was not advice I was pointing out that after 7 months of lifting and having a BP that low that he must be doing something wrong other than just his technique.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fair enough, though if he sorts out his form/diet/sleep, then the numbers will come

Why on earth can't he do 4 chest exercises? he's only doing them once a week (which is optimal for a beginner for proper recovery)

You're like my mate asking for bigger legs & bigger back while half squatting 70kg and deadlifting 100kg. The body won't develop huge muscles to lift puny weights. Learn to bench press correctly and get yours up to something decent, then you'll get nicer chesticles.

Why on earth can't he do 4 chest exercises? he's only doing them once a week (which is optimal for a beginner for proper recovery)

Because he's better off doing one exercise 3 times a week.

I know a little about beginners and progress

Because he's better off doing one exercise 3 times a week.

I know a little about beginners and progress

There's more then one way to skin a cat. I added 20kg's to my frame over about 2 years training muscle groups once a week. Either way may work. He mentioned that he does a split routine, and i said that it will work for hypertrophy.