• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
What affects your bench numbers big time, in terms of technique?

For me, I've found touching the bar on my chest like 1-2cm away from the optimal point makes a big difference in the weight I can press.

Also leg drive so I get enough arching but not so much that I push my butt off the bench.

Thanks to strong enough for suggesting chalking up the bar and wearing a black shirt. Chalk is ordered and on its way.

edit: I'm suspicious of the consistency I have in the degree of elbow tuck/flare. I think it affects my press, but it is a hard one to evaluate myself. I'm also not sure I tuck equally, unfortunately, with both arms (though I try).

Last edited:
My strategy for leg drive and keeping my ass on the bench is to put my feet so far back that when i use leg drive, i actively try to push my ass up off the bench, but its impossible to move.

On the topic of biceps and benching, I never used to notice any biceps tension in my benching until I learned to pull the bar apart. Now I feel very unstable while benching if my biceps aren't engaged throughout the movement.

I find that keeping my ass on the bench is just me consciously trying to keep my ass on the bench
I was really confused by it for ages but then just thought "why don't I just keep my ass on the bench?" and never had a problem with it since

My strategy for leg drive and keeping my ass on the bench is to put my feet so far back that when i use leg drive, i actively try to push my ass up off the bench, but its impossible to move.

Personally I think this is the best method for people who do have that tendency

Why is there a sticking region in the bench press?

"In consequence, the researchers speculated that the sticking region is therefore caused by the gradual reduction in stored elastic energy as a result of the eccentric phase prior to the lift. They proposed that the sticking region is the phase between the release of the stored elastic energy and the onset of a more mechanically advantageous position for the movement."

Hey Ben, what did your last comment mean?
And have you ever tried benching on your toes, do you like it more or less?

He means your feet back.

Its what Ive been doing the last few weeks, and seems to work well, though much less drive.

Ive also only gone up to 140kg

I hate how the bar is either too low or too high in the power cage. It's never just right. I rather have the bar too low though, because if its too high I lose shoulder tightness just trying to lift it!

Its definitely not going to hurt man.

Ive been using one the last few seesions, and will continue to use it indefinitely.

I think you may (not guaranteed) benefit from bring the bar out further when you unrack (depress the scapula more).
Had Minh and the guys at Elite start making me do this and I hit a comfortable rep PB despite only benching over 70% for 3 weeks since my shoulder injury.

As Stickler says too, slingshot won't hurt. If you're mainly doing raw the blue is best imo, particular for a sub-300lb bencher.
If you want more pop you can add reverse bands, or even loop a band around your elbow. Bit easier to do this than get less pop/support from the original slingshot lol

Its definitely not going to hurt man.

Ive been using one the last few seesions, and will continue to use it indefinitely.

I think you may (not guaranteed) benefit from bring the bar out further when you unrack (depress the scapula more).
Had Minh and the guys at Elite start making me do this and I hit a comfortable rep PB despite only benching over 70% for 3 weeks since my shoulder injury.

As Stickler says too, slingshot won't hurt. If you're mainly doing raw the blue is best imo, particular for a sub-300lb bencher.
If you want more pop you can add reverse bands, or even loop a band around your elbow. Bit easier to do this than get less pop/support from the original slingshot lol

Thanks guys, I was thinking getting the reactive sling shot, the weakest one.
Only benching heavy once a week leading up to nationals with a light session but some sort of pressing done most days. Set to do 6-10x2-4 @9RPE so was thinking of ramping up to a top set of 2-4 with a rep in the tank then putting the slingshot on and doing sets with it

I just used to add it into my bench assistance work (shirted bench that is), it will be fairly hard on your triceps.