• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Alright. My bench training is pretty much going to be lots of sets of 3 with about 80-90%.
Would I get the benefit by doing my volume raw and then doing even more volume with that weight with the slingshot? Or is the whole point that I use supraphysiological weights? (best word I can find)

If not I'll just keep the RPE of my raw work a bit lower and do what Sticky does

I have decided that I'm going to do my 6 sets of 3 with a long pause then put on the sling shot and work up to a set of 2 with the slingshot

I'm finding that a considerable amount of "sticking points" with people's bench presses are caused by the stretch reflex "running out"

I'm finding that a considerable amount of "sticking points" with people's bench presses are caused by the stretch reflex "running out"

This sounds about accurate to me. Probably a good case for both pausing at the bottom and for benching with a reduced ROM (eg board presses). The former obviously gets you going from the very bottom with less SSR to assist you, and the latter has the potential to teach you to drive at a point where you'd otherwise be relying on SSR to get you through the position.

Ive just started smolov jnr for bench. Should be interesting.
At testing last year I did one rep of 165kg, so ideally Id like to get back up to somewhere near that. 2 back surgeries since then have dramatically lowered most of my lifts. Im enjoying getting under the bar again...

This sounds about accurate to me. Probably a good case for both pausing at the bottom and for benching with a reduced ROM (eg board presses). The former obviously gets you going from the very bottom with less SSR to assist you, and the latter has the potential to teach you to drive at a point where you'd otherwise be relying on SSR to get you through the position.

I agree but I think board presses are the wrong way to achieve this

I'll be starting the Spoto 6 week bench program again soon, but instead of following the exact numbers ill be listening to my body a bit more and trying not to overdo it. Intense program but i loved it. Hopefully muscle memory will kick in and I can hit beyond 200 this time, looking at getting some chains too for Dynamic days

What would you do?

Like all reflexes man if you rape it, it disappears temporarily
So just do a high volume of training and paused reps
Pin pressing will also help loads but I don't think I even need to worry about that yet

I always thought the 'lats play a big part in the bench press' was wrong, cause other muscles play a bigger part (chest, triceps, delts).

After doing smolov jr though I did some rows and they felt a lot lighter. I've improved my strength off the chest a lot, which makes me wonder are the lats the primary mover for the first few inches of the bench press (especially when using an arch)?

I always thought the 'lats play a big part in the bench press' was wrong, cause other muscles play a bigger part (chest, triceps, delts).

After doing smolov jr though I did some rows and they felt a lot lighter. I've improved my strength off the chest a lot, which makes me wonder are the lats the primary mover for the first few inches of the bench press (especially when using an arch)?

nah my understanding is that they keep the bar in the groove

Anyone do specific external rotator training?

I need a lot of leg drive to prevent the shoulders rotating forward during heavy sets. Lately I've noticed my shoulder rotating forward when NOT on the bench, makes me think I need some exercises.

Mine do that too.

It's
1) shoulders compensating for weak triceps
2) weakness through the muscles that retract the scapula

external rotations will help protect the rotator cuff but they won't fix your problem

It can simply be a motor control issue.

On the ascent, thinking about pushing the shoulders back into the bench, rather than pushing the weight away from you, can help this problem a lot.