• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
It can simply be a motor control issue.

On the ascent, thinking about pushing the shoulders back into the bench, rather than pushing the weight away from you, can help this problem a lot.

This.

Focus on just locking out the tris, not getting the bar as far away as possible. Train this every rep incl. warmups to tune it in.

Can't unrack more than 100kg for more than one or two sets... train alone...
How do I train the ability to unrack weights? Practising it hasn't helped too much

You shouldn't be "pressing" the weights out anyway.

I can unrack well over my max no problems. imo it largely comes down to how you set up

I can't get the bar out the stands to bench it
The Anytime Fitness racks are quite deep so you can't really drag it out

It's all in the way you setup.

The way I do it is to set up with my eyes behind the bar and when I'm in position, I push through my hips to raise my butt of the bench, which puts much pressure on your upper back - enough to give you a push to unrack. It's like a cheating bench. Then lower the butt back down and you're ready to go.

Maybe [MENTION=8399]0ni[/MENTION]; needs to work on the top half of his bench. Can you attach bands or chains at your gym? Otherwise go lighter til you can bro!

You shouldn't be "pressing" the weights out anyway.

I can unrack well over my max no problems. imo it largely comes down to how you set up

Personally, I press out every single unrack. Trying to pull the bar out with my lats I prob wouldn't be able to unrack 100kg. It's never felt natural/right.

I just set the pin height so that it's a small press and take it out.

Can't unrack more than 100kg for more than one or two sets... train alone...
How do I train the ability to unrack weights? Practising it hasn't helped too much

I can unrack up to 190 though I don't enjoy it. I think I mainly use my lats and tris to do so. Shrug the lat up and just give your tris a quick lockout to boost it.

I'm going to analyse how I do it a bit more closely tonight.

Personally, I press out every single unrack. Trying to pull the bar out with my lats I prob wouldn't be able to unrack 100kg. It's never felt natural/right.

I just set the pin height so that it's a small press and take it out.

If I don't pull it out with my lats my shoulders feel like (and probably would) explode

@Darkoz - plenty of people can bench more than they can lift out themselves. Hence the lift off platform on competition bench presses

Do you mean the pressing part or the moving it forward with your lats part?

I found once I started benching 125kg+ for the first time as working sets it was really hard unracking it. I just eventually adjusted to my new working weight. I dont have to use my lats a lot to move it forward though. I set up so I lock out 1 inch from the rack (I believe Sticky once said this to me).

I think lots of heavy dips 'going forward' with a close grip have helped make the press part (of unracking) really easy. My strength curve is now strong at the top, weak at the bottom, like most people. I would say I could unrack 160kg without issues now.

As the worlds worst bencher i can lift out over 200kg, never knew it was an issue with people.

Seriously how can people not lift out what they can bench.

It's all in the way you setup.

The way I do it is to set up with my eyes behind the bar and when I'm in position, I push through my hips to raise my butt of the bench, which puts much pressure on your upper back - enough to give you a push to unrack. It's like a cheating bench. Then lower the butt back down and you're ready to go.

Thanks man I'll give this a go tomorrow

Maybe [MENTION=8399]0ni[/MENTION]; needs to work on the top half of his bench. Can you attach bands or chains at your gym? Otherwise go lighter til you can bro!

Yeah just been keeping the weight lower and going for volume recently... Thinking about this more I feel it in my rear delts so I'm going to try and strengthen some more with lots of barbell rows

[MENTION=8399]0ni[/MENTION]; have you considered that you simply may be trying to lift too much weight?

I can bench more with a lift off though and the reps are paused and smooth