• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginners; Look Here!

Hi all,

My friend and I just started training and have different builds but same goals (kind of). Im 165cm 63 kilos and he is 175cm 104kg.

I saw this pic on another thread that is closed and I can't PM the bloke as i don't have enough posts but this is the results I would like.

Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding - View Single Post - Members Pic's.

Is this the best workout program to follow?

Thanks if you can give direction.

You need to follow a beginners program like 5x5 or PTC beginners program untill you can squat 140, bench 100, and deadlift 180kg. Then you could look at something a little different.
You need to EAT.

You need to follow a beginners program like 5x5 or PTC beginners program untill you can squat 140, bench 100, and deadlift 180kg. Then you could look at something a little different.
You need to EAT.

Starting the new program tomorrow. I'm going to follow a beginners program from BB.com (ALL PRO) that had structured set ranges and increases (no disrespect to Ausbb). I just need that structure.

Hopefully I can post my progress and get some technique checks.

Thanks again

I like the way the program gives percentage changes between days and warm up sets etc. Otherwise i have no clue on how to increase weight week to week (Before going online i thought you had to 100 arm curls as an exercise - you always see in movies people doing things to 100 lol)

A Simple beginner's Routine
You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
Bench Presses
Bent-Over Rows
Overhead Barbell Presses
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

Last edited:
I gave the program a go today. Training by myself today so I didn't go as heavy as I could.

You don't really get the pump with compound lifts only the curls and calf raises. But will stick to it for 3 months before my tri training starts.

^^^ Yeah its a well structered program, but in my opinion, you could do more than 1 rep extra on sets, try to up the weight everytime on 8 reps, or get 2,3,4 more reps than last time.

^^^ Yeah its a well structered program, but in my opinion, you could do more than 1 rep extra on sets, try to up the weight everytime on 8 reps, or get 2,3,4 more reps than last time.

The program only increases weight once every 5 weeks. I dropped the starting rep to 6 and will work up to 10.

Is it too optimistic to increase 1 rep every workout? i.e Monday 6 reps Wednesday 7r Saturday 8r or is it better to stick to the same weight and reps for a week. Then increase week by week i.e first week 6 reps second week 8reps... then after 10 reps on the third week drop back down to 6 and add more weight.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

The program only increases weight once every 5 weeks. I dropped the starting rep to 6 and will work up to 10.

Is it too optimistic to increase 1 rep every workout? i.e Monday 6 reps Wednesday 7r Saturday 8r or is it better to stick to the same weight and reps for a week. Then increase week by week i.e first week 6 reps second week 8reps... then after 10 reps on the third week drop back down to 6 and add more weight.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

as a beginner, you will make crazy gains, take advantage of it. Do 8 reps and try add weight each workout. If you can't get 8, get it next time. If you up the weight and only achieve lower than 4 reps decrease the weight back down. Try for 2.5kg gains on lifts each workout.

as a beginner, you will make crazy gains, take advantage of it. Do 8 reps and try add weight each workout. If you can't get 8, get it next time. If you up the weight and only achieve lower than 4 reps decrease the weight back down. Try for 2.5kg gains on lifts each workout.

Ok i got it. I will do that for the next couple of weeks.

I only started lifting this week. I know its a few weeks down the track but do i need to deload? and when and how should i do that.

i really appreciate the help. cheers

Ok i got it. I will do that for the next couple of weeks.

I only started lifting this week. I know its a few weeks down the track but do i need to deload? and when and how should i do that.

i really appreciate the help. cheers

no you do not need to deload. You are over thinking it.

You will know when you have to deload (ageeees away).

Anyone in Western Sydney (i live in Erskine Park) able to show me the right technique for the compound exercises.

I have been training for 3 weeks on a beginner program and would like to make sure i get my technique right before I learn bad habits.

Cheers.

Come down to PTC sydney on saturday mate.
A heap of us will be there and be more than willing to help you out.

I checked out the PTC website and the one on one training would be too pricey for me (student, no income).

Fair enough .. its actually cheaper than fitness first pt's who charge 80 an hour not inc gym entry and show u how to use machines. U only need one session to be shown all 3 lifts.. and then lift at home.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

If you really can't afford it film yourself doing the lifts from a few different angles and post the videos on here so we can look at em and help you out

I have to be frugal when I have no income (hopefully uni pays off when i finish).

I will take videos of my lifts and and post them up here.

Although if anyone lives close I can offer you a beer and a thanks.