• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginners; Look Here!

Thanks Kaz, I'll try to get a video up soon. I might also throw up a squat video to see how my form is.

Starting out...

Hi all,

Just starting doing the program a few weeks ago, slightly modified as I try and run 5-10km three times a week.

I've removed the squats as I find I pull up too sore to run. I will add them back in soon though and maybe ditch the running entirely.

I've added situps.

I know stuff all and I am up for any advice you guys may have.

About me:

5'11" 70kg Age:26 Skinny ass
Job: Sit on a seat for most of my job and monitor systems but lift heavy stuff at the beginning and end of each day.

Goals:
General fitness and well being.
80kg (Nothing massive).
To smash my yearly medical.

I keep a running log on what I lift each time to keep track of what I am doing.

Here is an example of my log to see where I am beginning from:

Key: BP - Bench, DL - Deadlift, BR - Bent Row, MP - Military Press, CL - Curls, SU - Situps.

Reps/Weight of plates
Bar: 15kg
Example: BP 8reps/45kg+15kg = 60kg

Wednesday 06/02/2013
BP 8/45,6/50,7/47.5
DL 8/40,8/50,8/60
BR 8/40,8/45,8/40
MP 8/30,8/25,7/25
CL 10/10,10/10,10/10 - Bar 2kg
SU 30,20,15

Monday 04/02/2013
BP 10/40,8/45,5/60,5/40
DL 8/65,8/60,50/8
BR 8/40,8/40,8/35
MP 8/25,7/25,8/20
SU 25,10,10

You might notice that I've backed off on the deadlifts (I wish to nail my form first).

All advice welcomed.

Cheers,

SOAP.

Hi all,

Just starting doing the program a few weeks ago, slightly modified as I try and run 5-10km three times a week.

I've removed the squats as I find I pull up too sore to run. I will add them back in soon though and maybe ditch the running entirely.

I've added situps.

I know stuff all and I am up for any advice you guys may have.

About me:

5'11" 70kg Age:26 Skinny ass
Job: Sit on a seat for most of my job and monitor systems but lift heavy stuff at the beginning and end of each day.

Goals:
General fitness and well being.
80kg (Nothing massive).
To smash my yearly medical.

I keep a running log on what I lift each time to keep track of what I am doing.

Here is an example of my log to see where I am beginning from:

Key: BP - Bench, DL - Deadlift, BR - Bent Row, MP - Military Press, CL - Curls, SU - Situps.

Reps/Weight of plates
Bar: 15kg
Example: BP 8reps/45kg+15kg = 60kg

Wednesday 06/02/2013
BP 8/45,6/50,7/47.5
DL 8/40,8/50,8/60
BR 8/40,8/45,8/40
MP 8/30,8/25,7/25
SU 30,20,15

Monday 04/02/2013
BP 10/40,8/45,5/60,5/40
DL 8/65,8/60,50/8
BR 8/40,8/40,8/35
MP 8/25,7/25,8/20
SU 25,10,10

You might notice that I've backed off on the deadlifts (I wish to nail my form first).

All advice welcomed.

Cheers,

SOAP.

Add back in squats. Deal with the pulling up sore. You wont notice it after a few weeks.

When you do run, warm up and mobilise properly.

Done!

I'll add back in the squats.

Would it be better to run and lift on the same day, or alternate days?

Great thread.

I'm after a couple of pointers. I have been on the Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength Program for a while now (about 3 months). Have progressed nicely. In your opinions, how long before I can have a go at something a little more advanced? Doing the same program so often is getting a touch stale. Is it okay for me to change things up, or should I just suck it up, and keep going with what I am doing?

1 other thing, I am only working out at home. Its not possible for me to hit a gym given current circumstances. I have plenty of gear at home so its no real issue, except for squatting as the weight increases. I don't have a squat rack. So for safety purposes, I have been sticking with front squats as opposed to standard squats. Anyone see a huge issue with this?

Thanks in advance.

Great thread.

I'm after a couple of pointers. I have been on the Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength Program for a while now (about 3 months). Have progressed nicely. In your opinions, how long before I can have a go at something a little more advanced? Doing the same program so often is getting a touch stale. Is it okay for me to change things up, or should I just suck it up, and keep going with what I am doing?

1 other thing, I am only working out at home. Its not possible for me to hit a gym given current circumstances. I have plenty of gear at home so its no real issue, except for squatting as the weight increases. I don't have a squat rack. So for safety purposes, I have been sticking with front squats as opposed to standard squats. Anyone see a huge issue with this?

Thanks in advance.

Deload and switch to the PTC beginner program for 3 months... Then switch back to Starting Strength 3x5...

Great thread.

Thanks in advance.

Can you film some things like your form etc, and post that up here? Good to get a form check in there as well, early on, the forum here can help if you can't get to a decent gym/trainer for a few sessions.

Thanks for the tip.

And I will try and get some vid's up over the weekend. I'd love to get some feedback on my form.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tip.

And I will try and get some vid's up over the weekend. I'd love to get some feedback on my form.

Cheers.
~ Until you stall twice.

when you stall go back to two weeks agos weight. Then build it back up.

Assuming you've eaten/slept properly.