• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginners; Look Here!

Okay giffo, help me out here. What is it that you need the most right now? Muscles? Fitness? Muscular endurance? Blasting your metabolism and loosing some fat as well as getting fit in the process? You're welcome to send me a photo of yourself either by PM or email if you wish (only if you wish that is) since it does make things easier.

Due to your injury, what can you and what can you not do? Do you suffer from any restrictive movements? I'm asking so many questions and I'm not even interrogating you for God's sake :D! Sorry.

Seriously, the more I know the more I'd be able to help and there would be less time wasted. What do you say?

Fadi.

Morning Fadi,

Will email my details with photos shortly. Hope you have had breakfast!!

Cheers

Giffo

I'm 33 years old 85kgs (187lbs), 5'11' and got a slightly visible 6 pack. My current maintainace daily calorie intake is aprox 2000.
However I intend to gain lean mass by about 5kgs (12lbs) in the next 4-6months. I have increased my calorie intake by extra 500 perday with a Max's sugar free mass gainer.
I train 3 times a week + 3X 20min abs sessions on my off days without any cardio.

Mon & Fri ( Full Upper Body 70-90 mins) :
Chest: 3 sets of dumbbell flys, 8-12 reps per set with 60s between sets. 3 sets of dumbbell press, 8-12 reps per set with 60s between sets.
Triceps: 3 sets of french press, 8-12 reps per set with 60s rest between sets. 3 sets of dumbbell kick backs, 8-12 reps per set with 60s rest between sets
Back: 3 sets of overhand pullups (pull-ups), 3 sets of dumbbell rows, 8-12 reps per set with 60s rest between sets.
Biceps: 3 sets of dumbbell curls, 8-12 reps per set with 60s rest between sets. 3 sets of barbell curls, 8-12 reps per set with 60s rest between sets.
Shoulder: 3 sets of side raises, 8-12 reps per set with 60s rest between sets. 3 sets of reverse flys, 8-12 reps per set with 60s rest between sets.

WED (40mins)
Legs: 3 sets of Leg press 8-12 reps per set with 60's rest between the sets.
6 sets of lunges, 8-12 reps per set with 60s rest between sets
4 sets Standing Calves raises, 10-15 reps per set with 60's rest between the sets.

Tue & Thurs & Sat ( Abs)
10 min warm up on a treadmill or cycling.
5 sets of crunches , 6- Max reps per set with 60's rest between the sets.
5 sets of hanging leg raises , 6-Max per set with 60's rest between the sets.

Sun : Off ( Cheat day)

Supplements :
Gold Standard 100% Whey - 3 shakes a day @ 30g each
Max's Super size ( Suger Free) - 1 shake a day
Jack3d Pre workout - twice weekly on upper body days
Waxi Maze post work out 3 times a week on work out days.
Multi Vitamin.
USP Anabolic pump carb blocker

additionally I eat 4 small meals throughout the day with 30% Protien 60% Carbs 10% Fat.

I hope to achieve a lean -muscular Michael Klim alike "swimmer's" physique. Since this is my first attempt of a gaining cycle, any feedback is highly appreciated from experienced trainers.

Last edited:
I know this is the Bodybuilding section but I noticed the Markos links to the strength-training-power-lifting section. I'm guess that is because its appropriate for beginning body builders as well as strength / power lifters etc.

Is there a thread on here that details the main differences between bodybuilding and strength / power lifting (as in different routines for different end goals?). Apologies in advance if this is a very noob question to ask :(

Markos: ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/9460-beginners-program

Just and add on for this: Rippetoe stated it well by saying something along these lines:

Beginner bodybuilders and powerlifters are both both beginner strength trainees, it is not until they get past this stage and are intermediates that they should be training differently. I have to agree with that.

Dave speaks truth here as in other places. A beginner is a beginner. Imagine you have a couple of six year olds, one wants to be a surgeon one day, the other wants to be a fireman. Should you give one a scalpel and the other one a firetruck? No. Teach them to read, write, and add up first.

Basics first. Get strong on the basic compound lifts, after that decide where you want to go and we can tell you what you need to do.

Thanks for the replies above guys. That helps a lot.

I have another question for you guys:

For beginners, what is the recommended diet? Even a general guide would be helpful.

I don't want to over eat early on and get even fatter :(

I'm pretty keen on finding a good diet for a beginner as well. Any suggestions?

This is the main course we serve here at Ausbb. It’s basically meat and potatoes done in a slightly different way. Please help yourself by digging right in. Do not forget to chew properly so you can fully digest the food that’s been offered to you here. This is on the house by the way!

Desert? Ice-cream? Yes of course, that comes a bit later when you have really tasted what’s on offer here. All the best to the new guys and welcome to Ausbb.

Markos: http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html

Fadi: http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9606-building-ultimate-muscle-machine-move-your-body-through-space-program-1-a.html

Or this:

A. Squats
B. Bench press
C. Dead lift
D. One arm d/bell rows
E. Press b/neck

All done at 3 sets for between 8-10 reps. Aim to increase your weights by 2.5% each week and do this program for 3 months solid before contemplating a change.

Mark Rippetoe

Wkout A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlifts
2x8 Dips

Wkout B:
3x5 Squats
3x5 Standing press
3x5 Bent over rows
2x8 Chinups

Done 3x a week, rotating A and B.

Fadi.

Thanks for the workout mate. Its coming along nicely. The only question I have is why do you have one arm db rows in the workout instead of BB Rows. Is it to ensure lower back isn't being worked too much?

Thanks for the help I have seen more improvement than ever before.

Sorry make that 2 questions. Any reason i'm doing Behind Neck Should Press with BB instead of doing it with DB's? Is there any difference?

Last edited:
Thanks for the workout mate. Its coming along nicely. The only question I have is why do you have one arm db rows in the workout instead of BB Rows. Is it to ensure lower back isn't being worked too much?
I prefer to keep things safer when performing a rep range between 1-12, hence the support one gets from hanging on to something helps prevent a lower back injury. Now when the reps go above 15 and the weight decreases, I then would have no problem in recommending the barbell bent over rows. With low rep and a heavy weighted bar, not only is the lower back injury risk increases, but one's concentration is somewhat shifted (no matter how slightly) to stabilising his unsupported back position. That is my reasoning behind the D/bell bent over rows in this context of events.
Any reason i'm doing Behind Neck Should Press with BB instead of doing it with DB's? Is there any difference?
There's always a difference as far as your neuromuscular pathways are concerned. Even a barbell curl done with three different hand width is recognised differently by our body.

If you feel more comfortable with d/bells, then by all means please use d/bells instead. With the b/neck press, please use the range that you feel comfortable with and do not go beyond it. Not everyone shares the same shoulder flexibility which means not everyone can lower the bar down to their trapezius etc.

Fadi.

Last edited:
This is the main course we serve here at Ausbb. It’s basically meat and potatoes done in a slightly different way. Please help yourself by digging right in. Do not forget to chew properly so you can fully digest the food that’s been offered to you here. This is on the house by the way!

Desert? Ice-cream? Yes of course, that comes a bit later when you have really tasted what’s on offer here. All the best to the new guys and welcome to Ausbb.

Markos: http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html

Fadi: http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9606-building-ultimate-muscle-machine-move-your-body-through-space-program-1-a.html

Or this:

A. Squats
B. Bench press
C. Dead lift
D. One arm d/bell rows
E. Press b/neck

All done at 3 sets for between 8-10 reps. Aim to increase your weights by 2.5% each week and do this program for 3 months solid before contemplating a change.

Mark Rippetoe

Wkout A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlifts
2x8 Dips

Wkout B:
3x5 Squats
3x5 Standing press
3x5 Bent over rows
2x8 Chinups

Done 3x a week, rotating A and B.

Fadi.

Just invested in a power rack and can do some of these workouts properly,

Which of the 2 programs would be better for overall strength gains and size?

I am currently doing SL 5 x5

Cheers

Just invested in a power rack and can do some of these workouts properly,

Which of the 2 programs would be better for overall strength gains and size?

I am currently doing SL 5 x5

Cheers

Please exchange the press behind the neck for either barbell military press or dumbell presses. If you insist on performing the behind neck press, then go down as low as your flexibility will allow you without causing shoulder discomfort.

I will change that at the OP ASAP.

Fadi.

It's ok for intermediate lifters.

Definitely not the best program out there imo (although I guess there really is no 'best' program).

Personally I'd go for the DB o/h press ahead of the BB. Allows more for natural forearm/shoulder rotation

I'm using a similar program to the first posted. I however do different rep ranges which enables me to really push the weight up and ensures of no injury. I do 30, 20, 10, 6 then 3 reps moving the weight up each time, I find this helps the blood flow and gives you a strong base to lift bigger as the reps decrease.

Also I have been doing pushups, dips, chins and pull ups to finish the workout simply to see how my strength has increased (and chins look awesome:p)