• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Does 1kg of steak = 1kg of jerky? I suppose the dehydration of it would then reduce the weight considerably.

It drops the weight by about 1/3, so 3kg fresh meat makes about 1 kg jerky.

Micks is awesome, bhut jolokia, hot/mild chilli and pepper are the best flavours. BBQ is really bland, garlic and original are a bit better but I wont be buying them again

my dad makes beef jerky often... gets a 4kg rump or so.. marinates and slices up into steaks and by the end of the drying process you would have maybe 1.2kg of meat. i think it takes about 12hrs of drying.. we do it in a fan forced oven at abotu 50 degree temperature.

thought so. Keen to see how Big Mick's jerky comes out. Wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Have already turned 4kg of steak into jerky since my last post:)

And all of it was good, the last lot was a bit too dry for my liking, the first lot was perfect, the dehydrator I bought does about 2kg at a time, never weight it when it came out will do that next time.

Takes about 5hrs to turn 2kg of steak into jerky and you get heaps, will document the next lot I make.

Have made two styles.

Recipe 1:
Chili (used Sambel Olek from woolies), garlic (also from woolies) and some soy sauce, mix it all up with the sliced meat and dry for 5 hrs beautiful.

Recipe 2:
Very simple, salt, black ground pepper and ground corriander, mix and dry. Also great.

Adjust quantity according to taste.

I prefer recipe 2 missus loves recipe 1, but overall I like both:rolleyes:

Love the dehydrator, well worth it.

Seen the same one I have sell on eBay as well, as they can be hard to find, Myers also sell them but at a price.

I got mine from a Bing Lee clearance store in Sydney's west (near Fairfield):)

New guy checking in and I think this is probably a helpful first post ;)

Homeart are telling dehydrators on special for $39. They seem a reasonable size in the catalogue

Have already turned 4kg of steak into jerky since my last post:)

And all of it was good, the last lot was a bit too dry for my liking, the first lot was perfect, the dehydrator I bought does about 2kg at a time, never weight it when it came out will do that next time.

Takes about 5hrs to turn 2kg of steak into jerky and you get heaps, will document the next lot I make.

Have made two styles.

Recipe 1:
Chili (used Sambel Olek from woolies), garlic (also from woolies) and some soy sauce, mix it all up with the sliced meat and dry for 5 hrs beautiful.

Recipe 2:
Very simple, salt, black ground pepper and ground corriander, mix and dry. Also great.

Adjust quantity according to taste.

I prefer recipe 2 missus loves recipe 1, but overall I like both:rolleyes:

Love the dehydrator, well worth it.

Sounds bloody good, will any dehydrator do? I too, am thinking of grabbing one of the homeart ones.

hmocke_jui3158ueo@members.ebay.com.au

or contact him via ebay - thats what I do.

(My wife just asked if I was going to eat it all at once. Was tempted.)

Tastes a bit like less salty salami I made a few years ago. I have a meat slicer that I reckon I could take jerky sized shavings off these pieces and have awesome snacking times. Actually I might do that later...

No longer an active email address.

Sent an email to Mick to get a price list. Going on an Army Ex soon and jerky will be great out field.

Just wondering about the nutritional value of home made beef jerky?

I have run out and will be making some more over the week end hopefully:)

Will have to have a look into it, want to macros for 100gram of home made jerky.

Have 2kg of jerky in the dehydrator right now, will weigh it when it comes out as well.

I worked out on the week end that 2kg of beef (cost $10.99 per kilo) makes 750grams of quality beef jerky, so I have 750 gram of beef jerky for around $22, thats just under $30 for 1kg of jerky, takes about 10 minutes to prepare, and 5-6hrs to dehydrate in my $85 dehydrator, this is the third 2kg batch I have made so far:)

Here is some of the jerky, but photos can not describe the taste:):

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Dear Mick,
Are you freezing the jerky?
I'm worried that because it has no preservatives you need to eat it straight away or it will go off unless you freeze it?

Please advise,

Regards Adrian
AussBB
Super Moderator.

No preservatives, stored in kitchen cub board, should not go off any time soon if stored cool. Mould would be the only issue I can see if it is still too wet.

The last two batches got eaten by family and friends within a day or two, this lot I have cut up into 50 gram servings now, and will be taking to work with me to have as snacks while out on the road. Will limit myself to 50gram a day, and will be counted in my daily calorie intake:)

Will monitor how long it lasts