• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I have to be honest, supplements to me seem like something you do for the last 5 or 10% of your training when at an elite level.

Regular people shouldn't need any of it unless there is an underlying issue that prevents proper nutrition. JMO

I have to be honest, supplements to me seem like something you do for the last 5 or 10% of your training when at an elite level.

Regular people shouldn't need any of it unless there is an underlying issue that prevents proper nutrition. JMO

Change that to 0.5 to 1% and you might be on the money.

Anabolic steroids give 5-10%, so some BCAA's you already have in your system from your last meal and that you piss out anyway, and some Beta Alanine which your body produces in the liver all by itself as required will give you 2/10th of fuck all.

Agree - BCAA are really going to be a waste of cash.

A good protein supplement and maybe some creatine is really all you need - and even then its stretching it to a point.

It is very cliche but if diet is good and training is good then supplements really don't need to get involved much.

....and this is coming honestly from an ex-supplement junky....

I know...I know....the advertising is VERY hard to ignore but next time you spend $60,70,$100 on a supplement just think how much steak you could buy with that....

Exactly I used to use all the stuff.

Protein, pre workout, post workout shake, bed time cassain shake, multivitamin, fish oil, fat burners, amino acids, creatine, glutamine, test boosters, vitamin c etc etc.

Was costing me a small fortune, then I actually started reseaching what is in the stuff I was using, what it does, what dosages are required etc etc.

Became obvious pretty quickly that the stuff does nothing, and that if you have a reasonable diet, consume enough protein per day, have some salad and veggies every now and then you pretty much have it all covered. Pretty much used up my supps and as they ran out I never bothered replacing them, noted no difference what so ever, as a matter of fact I feel better, and train better without all this rubbish, plus I have plenty more cash to spend on some quality cuts of meat and nice fresh veggies.

The only pesons telling you that supplements do anything are the people selling or making supplements and those atheletes sponsored to say that they use them.

Try it for yourselves and see how you go, go supplement free for 2 months and I bet you will not notice one bit of difference what so ever, take the challenge.

The only supplements that work are illegal.

Last edited:
Good one Mick, agree completely.
My supplements in my cupboard went stale during a training hiatus and i didnt bother replacing them. Easy enough to get X protein in a day without powder, and the rest of those things are pretty bogus.

Mick, you keep saying you stopped using supplements and noticed no difference. That's quite subjective. It's like someone taking a fat burner in a calories surplus or someone training roids and not training. If you don't use things as intended, or have everything else in check (diet and training), of course things won't work.

Did you get results before and after taking sups? If not, obviously your diet and training wasn't up to scratch and supplements aren't going to be a magic pill.

Like I keep saying, try things for yourself instead of being an internet expert (not just you Mick). If it helps with your training, great, if not, move on and find something that does.

You can argue over calories, macros, sups, training techniques, recovery, etc, but if you're not actually getting out there and training your ass off, none of it matters. So obviously, more training equals better results, as long as you're recovering. I feel with the sups I use I recover much better and can now train far more than I used to. Sups definitely work for me. So to keep whinging that something didn't work for you specifically is a disservice to others who could benefit.

Mick, you keep saying you stopped using supplements and noticed no difference. That's quite subjective. It's like someone taking a fat burner in a calories surplus or someone training roids and not training. If you don't use things as intended, or have everything else in check (diet and training), of course things won't work.

Did you get results before and after taking sups? If not, obviously your diet and training wasn't up to scratch and supplements aren't going to be a magic pill.

Like I keep saying, try things for yourself instead of being an internet expert (not just you Mick). If it helps with your training, great, if not, move on and find something that does.

You can argue over calories, macros, sups, training techniques, recovery, etc, but if you're not actually getting out there and training your ass off, none of it matters. So obviously, more training equals better results, as long as you're recovering. I feel with the sups I use I recover much better and can now train far more than I used to. Sups definitely work for me. So to keep whinging that something didn't work for you specifically is a disservice to others who could benefit.

You just contradicted yourself all the way through that.

First paragraph you say micks personal experience is subjective.

Then you say people should try things for themselves (like mick did)

Then you go on to share your personal experience ( just like mick did) as evidence supps work.

Either way stop getting suckered in by the glossy lanes. Researching supps doesn't mean reading supp company web sites. They will claim any fucking thing to get a sale.

Actually fuck it, as if I care. Waste a heap of cash on supps that don't do anything. It give some people jobs. They are probably better off with the cash anyway.

I gotta say, I've lost a lot of respect for SteveP over the last month or so. He's a noob who seems to know little, gets all this help from others yet shows a bad attitude with smart arse remarks at times.

Cue the smart arse remarks.

[MENTION=12409]Sir El Stiffy[/MENTION]; Lol

Stirring-a-pot.jpg

At the end of the day this argument will still be being debated until the end of time immemorial, and you know what - the benefits someone did or didn't get is PURELY subjective. No one can quantify it in measurable scientific terms. Different people will benefit more or less from a given supplement, but at the end of the day all that really matters is whether the person taking it perceives a benefit. If they're not doing G4P to pay for their sups and they feel they can train better with them then it is providing a benefit, tangible or otherwise. If someone feels that they are a waste of money and feels better/happier with those dollars in their pocket then that is the benefit they receive form not buying supplements. You gotta' do what feels best for you.

Is this going to be the new fad answer to everything now......."Your experience is subjective, it's all subjective"

Well that then pretty much covers every discussion

Fuck me.

Discussions are interesting, more often than not a person will enter a discussion only to validate what they think rather than really listening to opposing views, their not really interested in what other people have to say, unless they are either genetic freaks or a lab coat.

Your experience is subjective and you are doing others a dis-service by telling them to spend their money

Thankyou for you cooperation

Is this going to be the new fad answer to everything now......."Your experience is subjective, it's all subjective"

Well that then pretty much covers every discussion

Fuck me.

Results are tangible and the only true way to to see results, like anything is to use a method of measure.
in bodybuilding it is progress, the way to effectively measure, is in fact measuring.

you hear so many idiots espousing their methods giving results, what I want to see are measurements, for example that my arm measured cold; 15 inches, six months later 17.5.
that, to me is success, for that person.

That is real life.

As an aside, show me a study for anything that has been done, where the lab coat, has done the research out of love and used their own money to fund the research, you will not find one.

Discussions are interesting, more often than not a person will enter a discussion only to validate what they think rather than really listening to opposing views, their not really interested in what other people have to say, unless they are either genetic freaks or a lab coat.

Are these these "Askholes" you mentioned previously? ;)

Results are tangible and the only true way to to see results, like anything is to use a method of measure.
in bodybuilding it is progress, the way to effectively measure, is in fact measuring.

you hear so many idiots espousing their methods giving results, what I want to see are measurements, for example that my arm measured cold; 15 inches, six months later 17.5.
that, to me is success, for that person.

That is real life.

As an aside, show me a study for anything that has been done, where the lab coat, has done the research out of love and used their own money to fund the research, you will not find one.
Well we both know Andy what we think of 'studies'

Are these these "Askholes" you mentioned previously? ;)

:rolleyes:

There's lots outs out there, I'm one of them.

i remember listening to a lot of older more experience men about their experiences and thinking what the fuck are you talking about, it wasn't until I had to experience it myself that I looked back and thought, oh, that's what they meant, I always made it a point to thank them.