• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
You totally missed the point I made. Read that link again that I posted. BCAAs not tied to other whole food proteins bypass digestion and aminos in the blood increase almost instantly, not hours later.

Just because you want to see everything in black and white, doesn't make it so. Things are more complex than just macros and grams.

Man this is unbelievable that people are so gullible, no wonder supplement shops make a killing, which part of 'your body already had adequate BCAA's from food you ate throughout the day do you not understand??', you can not put more BCAA's into your blood as it already has all the BCAA's you need unless you have not eaten in the last 24 hrs prior to training and there is a shortage, it is just basic stuff, once your tank is full you can not add more fuel it's full any extra will go to waste.

What happens if you eat too much protein? It turns to fat or you flush it from your body?

Looked into a bit, as I mentioned earlier I have an interest in this stuff and study it instead of just reading glossy labels and asking supplement shop owners for advise.

It appears that aline converts to sugar (glucose), leucine to ketones and isoleucine to glucose and /or ketones depending on other factors.

Excess consumption will/may also have side affects such as fatigue, loss of coordination, depression (suppresses serotonin in the brain), anxiety, depletion of essential B vitamins plus more

I think the word 'excess' needs clarification here. Are we talking extra 100g or extra 1kg of of aline to get loss of coordination and feeling suicidal lol.

I think the word 'excess' needs clarification here. Are we talking extra 100g or extra 1kg of of aline to get loss of coordination and feeling suicidal lol.

Google it. the information is out there, I could really not be bothered any longer, it comes back you you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Not having a dig at Dave, but Dave was a juicer. ie Muscle Protein Synthesis increased etc.

Do you use BCAAs Darko? The Prosecution rests your Honour :D

Well I was not going to go there, but I knew that and it is obvious by looking at his photo, several other members PM'd me in relation to this as well. I guess that would explain his anger issues as well:D

In guess those supplements are more than just BCAA's

But I guess it's the BCAA's that did it all…lol

Last edited:
Man this is unbelievable that people are so gullible, no wonder supplement shops make a killing, which part of 'your body already had adequate BCAA's from food you ate throughout the day do you not understand??', you can not put more BCAA's into your blood as it already has all the BCAA's you need unless you have not eaten in the last 24 hrs prior to training and there is a shortage, it is just basic stuff, once your tank is full you can not add more fuel it's full any extra will go to waste.
You're still ignoring the hormonal effects from consuming BCAAs that bypass digestion when the body is in a stressed state.

Regardless of where BCAAs come from, I think everyone can agree on these points:
- They definitely don't do nothing.
- They are most beneficial when dieting or in a caloric deficit.
- Proper diet is far more beneficial than just supplementing with BCAAs.
- Studies show they do have a positive effect on training endurance, but the effect may be minimal depending on the person's diet and training.

So with the above points, they obviously do something positive to your body. How much is up for debate. So what if someone gave you BCAAs for free, would you use them? Is cost preventing you from using them. Usually they're about $1 a serve, which I think is pretty decent seeing they do have (varying amounts of) positive effects.

Last edited:
Well I was not going to go there, but I knew that and it is obvious by looking at his photo, several other members PM'd me in relation to this as well. I guess that would explain his anger issues as well:D

In guess those supplements are more than just BCAA's

But I guess it's the BCAA's that did it all…lol

No anger issues here mate, I just think you are a antagonist.

yes, once apon a time I used juice, but have been off for over 6 years now.

i can appreciate the general sentiment on this forum is that supplements don't offer any benefit, and most just use food. That cool, I have no issue with that, and I have no issue with people thinking I am wasting my money. I will continue with my protocol, and respect that others will follow their own.

Last edited:
Where does everyone get their pure BCAA's from. Most that I have tried taste like toxic waste, unless flavoured up to the max.

Regardless of where BCAAs come from, I think everyone can agree on these points:
- They definitely don't do nothing.
- They are most beneficial when dieting or in a caloric deficit.
- Proper diet is far more beneficial than just supplementing with BCAAs.
- Studies show they do have a positive effect on training endurance, but the effect may be minimal depending on the person's diet and training.

Mate there is no doubt about any of that.

No one said BCAA's are not an essential part involved in gaining muscle and muscel recovery, they are very important and essential, but unless you are vegetarian or have not eaten for days before training, you have all BCAA's you need already before adding more in the form of supplements.

Where does everyone get their pure BCAA's from. Most that I have tried taste like toxic waste, unless flavoured up to the max.

BN would be the best deal at a guess, and any Aminos taste like absolute crap, nothing anyone can do about that.

Again, avoiding the issue of hormone response by consuming BCAAs not bound to a food protein. Why are you ignoring this? It's ok to say you're not familiar with hormone response in the body.

Last edited:
Again, avoiding the issue of hormone response by consuming BCAAs not bound to a food protein. Why are you ignoring this? It's ok to say you're not familiar with hormone response in the body

C'mon @Big Mick ; you professional arguer you :p ^Answer the question^ :D

Gotta remember Steve, Big Mick's skills were honed over many years arguing with Baz. Iron sharpens Iron :D

[MENTION=12409]El Stiffy[/MENTION] ; I believe this is a debate, not an argument. I do also believe Micky has participated in a lot of debates over time, making him a "mass-debater" if you will

White_Lie with the zingers today.

boom-shakalaka.jpg

Reading this whole thread, I would have to agree with BigMick on this one. The fact that very few bodybuilding supplements (if any) actually do anything at all is the main point. BCAAs from my experience did nothing for me. Most of us who train hard and eat lots of protein and/or take protein shakes would consume more than enough BCAAs to facilitate muscle growth. I cannot for sure say that taking extra BCAAs does absolutely nothing at all, however if they do have an effect, it would be so small and miniscule that it would not be worth taking. For those that argue that BCAAs work and make a difference to your physique you have to answer one very important question first:

* How do you know for sure its the extra BCAAs that your ingesting through supplementing with pure BCAA powder that is making the difference to your physique rather than anything else you do or ingest that is making the difference? such as

1. Any other supplements/drugs your taking e.g. protein powders which are full of BCAAs
2. Any dietary changes or your diet in general
3. Just training harder/longer etc
4. Placebo effect

In other words how can you prove that the BCAAs are making a difference to your physique? You simply can't. Its all hearsay, how do you know its not the protein supplement your taking on a regular basis? or your good diet and all the natural protein your ingesting from foods that's making the difference? Anyone who owns a supplement business/store will ALWAYS have vested interests, and even if they are completely honest, how do they know BCAAs made a difference to their physique? The answer is they don't, they ASSUME BCAAs make a difference because they take them (placebo), however they also take a huge concoction of other supplements/substances, its impossible to isolate and prove that BCAAs did anything at all.

Last edited:
I notice the benefits of BCAAs while training. I've been increasing the intensity and volume recently and sipping on BCAAs I feel helps push through some hard workouts. You could be right, it might be a placebo effect or I could just be looking forward to sipping on something other than water. Let's say that's the case and it's purely a placebo effect that's letting me train harder. Well what's that worth? 10c a day, $2? If something is letting me train harder, and look forward to training 6x a week without skipping workouts, that has value.

I guess it's something people need to try for themselves and see if it works for them.

Last edited:
Again, avoiding the issue of hormone response by consuming BCAAs not bound to a food protein. Why are you ignoring this? It's ok to say you're not familiar with hormone response in the body.

Mate I have NEVER once ignored it and have responded to it over and over, however you seem to be ignoring the answer and just say the same thing again.

The hormonal response will not occur unless you are starved for at least 24-48hrs without ingesting any proteins, then and only then will you get your hormonal response, your body must be depleted of BCAA's for this response to occur, but since you eat throughout the day, this response will NOT take place as your body will never be in a state of depletion unless you fast long term prior to training. Many studies have confirmed this, but it is that part that supplement peddlers chose to ignore.

They say yes BCAA's will assist in muscle recovery (this is a fact widely known and studied) however what supplement sellers do not tell you is that you already have plenty of BCAA's in your diet from normal every day eating of food, there is no need to add more, but people think (and are told by supplement sellers) that BCAA's are some magical thing, they are not it's just everyday food, even a Big Mac or a three piece feed at KFC or a meat lovers pizza or peanut butter sandwich all contains a serving of BCAA's

AGAIN and for the last time the hormonal response is only relevant to people depleted of BCAA's, there is no person in this country eating a normal western diet of meat/fish/eggs/veggies that would be depleted of BCAA's, there for no hormonal response no matter how much you wish there was.