• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Great sesh this morning. Upping the reps, still mostly body weight stuff, but it's all working!

4x15 Olympic ring dips
Superset push-ups

4xmax rope chins superset normal chins x max

4x20 lunges superset 30 calf raises

4 x rope climbs

4x1min planks

Stretch!

Feels good and have yoga tonight!

Awesome session this morning! 5am start and it was already hot!

Up'd my runs to the big block, about 400m.

Went thru this cycle twice.

Push-ups on medicine ball x 20
Ring pull ups x 12
400m run

Rope climb
Kettlebell bent row x 12
Run

Barbell curls x 20
Ring dips x 15
Run

Straight arm plank x 1 min (hard!!)
Normal sit ups x 20
Run

Monkey bars
Reverse chins x 8
Run

Went thru that twice, 1 min rest between each triple set. Sweating like a mofo.
Back feels normal and lungs feel fucked! Hahah
Have a good weekend!
Taurus ?

Good 5am sesh this morning.
Tried some bench for the first time since op, felt good! I guess all the dips and push-ups have kept it in check to a certain degree.

Ring dips 4x15
Bench 4x10
Worked my way up and in the 4th set punched out 6x140kg with no back pain, so that was ok. I had a tested 165kg 1 rep max in February, so haven't lost too much there.
Ring push ups 4x15
Dips 4x12
Then 5x1min planks and was shaking like anything on the 4th and 5th! Haha
Conditioning sesh this arvo

Have signed up for tough mudder, iadventure and a Kathmandu adventure race in the new year. Have to get the kayak out again & learn how to use a compass for that one! Hahaha.

Last edited:
Mate, you're smashing it now.
Among other things, those planks will do wonders for rebuilding lower back strength.

There is a standard test for lower back strength I did with my physio ages ago. You basically lay on a bench face down with your waist overhanging the end and your legs strapped or held down (a hyper-extension would be perfect). If you can support yourself hanging off the end for 2min, that is considered acceptable lower back strength. But judging by the exercises your doing now already, I doubt there has been much strength lost anyway.

Your bench press looks good. Years ago I had 1RM of 180kg. Having only recently gone back to the gym, it's taken a while for the strength to come back. Today I did 90kg for 6reps. Back in the day I use to warm up on 100kg for 20 reps - massive ego crush, let me give you the tip HAHA!!!

Reminds me of that saying, "The older I get, the better I was".

Keep up the good work!!!

View attachment 6168
Took this after conditioning last night. Down 2-3 kgs since op, but feeling healthy and looking good. Happy with legs, all those box jumps must've done something! Lol
Shoulder are good considering I can only do theraband work directly on them for now. The dips and push-ups must be working them a little too.
Sitting at 95kgs now. Would love to be in this condition but 100kgs! Lol

Looking good. How does your conditioning work differ to your normal workouts?
Is one power/strength related and the other more fitness/cardio focused?

Are you still using the Theraband for the shoulders to avoid heavy overhead pressing for the time being?

Now you just have to work your underwear selection....:)

Looking good. How does your conditioning work differ to your normal workouts?
Is one power/strength related and the other more fitness/cardio focused?

Are you still using the Theraband for the shoulders to avoid heavy overhead pressing for the time being?

Now you just have to work your underwear selection....:)

Thanks man!
Conditioning is a triple superset, mostly body weight stuff with a 400m run after the two. 12 sets of that. It's tough! Mix up the exercises, but basics of it are the same.
Power workouts are just heavier movements with no superset of cardio! Since the op haven't really done 'power' stuff, but it's not far off!! First bench press session was Monday.
Theraband yes for delts due to surgeon recommending doing nothing above the shoulders for a while.....
As for the reg grundy's, I like those ones, they're one of the better pairs I have! Hahaha
Thanks Groar, a compliment followed by a backhander, i love it! smartarse! Lol

Bloody hell you must be fit MoFo!!!
12x400m sprints... I'd be in cardiac arrest well before then HAHA!!!

How often is something like that done and is it a timed thing or just go as hard as you can each session based on how you feel?

Bloody hell you must be fit MoFo!!!
12x400m sprints... I'd be in cardiac arrest well before then HAHA!!!

How often is something like that done and is it a timed thing or just go as hard as you can each session based on how you feel?

I do that session 2-3 times a week mate. But had to work up to it.
They're not 400m like Michael Johnson used to run, but it's more than just a jog.
I do time the runs, and make sure I keep them all the same, not to blow out at the end is the hardest part.

Body is back & better than ever my friend. Fucking excellent stuff!

The undies.... after considerable thought, I'd just want you to tear them off or I might do it for you...so you see, they totally work! lol Smart lad :p

You seem so positive & happy re: the great progress post op, those two beautiful girls in your life must be chuffed as well. Keep going L! x

Edit: Out of interest, any remaining sciatic pain at all, at this point?

Body is back & better than ever my friend. Fucking excellent stuff!

The undies.... after considerable thought, I'd just want you to tear them off or I might do it for you...so you see, they totally work! lol Smart lad :p

You seem so positive & happy re: the great progress post op, those two beautiful girls in your life must be chuffed as well. Keep going L! x

Edit: Out of interest, any remaining sciatic pain at all, at this point?

Ha thanks
I feel good and am looking after myself. Eating properly and doing all the right rehab. Why wouldn't I be positive?!
Yoga is going well too.
I do get the occasional sciatic pain. Sitting in my wife's car for some reason triggers it, must be the angle of the seats or something, plus forward bends still give me grief, although the yoga is helping with that. It's getting less and less.

You should be positive & bloody thrilled L! Your body looks incredible, but the fact that you were so strong physically & healthy to begin with is probably the biggest reason you've recovered so beautifully.

It truthfully has been so impressive ;)

Yoga, as you know, I'm a big advocate of & am deeply impressed with your progress there too! Its not easy, but its very therapeutic in so many ways for the body.

Time to sell the wife's car! lol

Great stuff L, I just remember how worried you were before the operation, but you've come so far, so fast.

Machine!

Had a great week of training. Yoga is going well, loving it actually, wish i'd done it while still in rugby. Might have extended my career a few more seasons...
Had a good workout yesterday arvo before hitting the beach...

Chins x 8 into dips x 15 into ~400m run (measured at 396m on geodistance.com)
Burpees x 10 into 1 min planks into ~400m run
BB bicep curls x 15 into tricep dips x 15 into ~400m run
ring dips x 12 into theraband side raises x 12 into ~400m run
Step-ups x 10e/l into calf raises x 30 into ~400m run
went thru that twice with a minute rest once back from run.... Back feels good, had a great warm up and stretch afterwards... Legs were pumped, veins everywhere, and a little light headed, signs of a good session.
Today had my daughters pre-school graduation, i always thought that would be a wank, but i was really proud of her today. Cant believe she's starting 'big school' in 3 months...

Pulled up to yoga now.
Trained hard Monday morning & night. Yesterday off.
Didn't train this morning as we all stayed at the inlaws as our floorboards are being refurbished. They look sensational.
Taking the kayak out before work tomorrow. Need to get back into it for the Kathmandu races I've signed up for.....
Weights and conditioning session tomorrow arvo! Big week. Back feeling great.

6am session today

Rope chins x max
Push ups on fist x 15
400m run

Ring dips x 15
Chin ups x 10
Run

Rope climb
1 min plank
Run

BB curl x 20
Step ups x 20
Run

Theraband side raise x 10
DB shoulder press (5kg lol) x 10
400m run

Went thru that twice. So ran 3900m and punched thru a heap of reps. Felt fucked but great at the end. No back issues, rope climb is getting a lot easier, may need a weight vest soon. Any suggestions?
Had a good thorough stretch afterwards too.
Feel good now but tired?

5am session today.
Rope chins 3x10
Ring dips 4x15
DB shoulder press 4x12
Burpee chins 3x10
Ring push-ups 3x15
Theraband side raise 3x12
3x 1 min plank
Stretch/warm down
Feel good