• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are Deadlifts necessary for a Bodybuilding routine?

Chins

Is there a reason for chins, as opposed to pullups? Assuming there isn't a big difference. I couldn't agree more about the lat builder comment. I started doing pullups in about March/April this year. I've had more growth since March with pullups than I've had in 7 years from pulldowns. And I've only been onto weighted pullups for a couple of weeks.

Deadlifting (back on topic)

At any weight is it a good idea to go past 5-6 reps? Your form inevitably begins to slip and the issues with that only grows as the weight increases.

Chin-ups, pull-ups both good. But I beleive supinated or even better, parallel is going to make a bigger impact on the lat's and friends than pronated, which I think that is what a pull-up is called.

But as a back builder, the muscles of the back are going to receive more "mechanical" work with the row and chin than the dead-lift which is more isometric which builds strength, but not as efficiently as exercises that apply mechanical work to the muscles under load.
Fuck, that's too nerdy.

I like parallel grip chins because they don't seem to hurt my elbows like chins or pullups.

S.E.S gets worse as I get older, let me tell you, it really shows after a chin-up session.

It's why I love the machine pullover so much.

yeah that's a thing
what's wrong with deadlifts that makes people not do them
inb4 difficult

S.E.S gets worse as I get older, let me tell you, it really shows after a chin-up session.

It's why I love the machine pullover so much.

Out of interest, how heavy do you go on the machine pullover? i struggle to get smooth form with really heavy reps?

Coz I'm a Bodybuilder bro, heavy weights don't build muscle. Apparently.

My view on this has generally been.... I'm too much of a wimp to actually push/pull my real 5RM, i'm probably only achieving 90% of that, whereas, i can push myself to the full intensity of my 10rm ...

the limitation here being my ability to achieve intensity in a small number of reps.

Yeah I think so. Going from 250 - 300 is a big step and I've seen more development from getting past 250.

Regarding traps. Heavy power shrugs would be my advise. You should eventually work up to weights of 50kg over your max dead for 10+ reps. They make your traps grow like crazy and you know if you have done them right because you get the worst DOMs for days.

Do you find military press also nails your traps?

Can I ask your main reason for doing power shrugs? Mainly to help your deadlift lockout?

I would incorporate shrugs but I would have trouble fitting it into my workout, unless I did them well away from my military press or else I think I'd have trouble pressing the bar. I'm not sure they're even necessary given I'm probably only capable of a 1rm of 75ish kg on MP and 190kg on deadlift.

seeing as this is the bodybuilding section.
Charles Glass (inb4 using google to find out who he is) advises against using deadlifts to build the lower back.

seeing as this is the bodybuilding section.
Charles Glass (inb4 using google to find out who he is) advises against using deadlifts to build the lower back.

Good for him.

So one person says don't do deadlifts to build the back.