• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are Deadlifts necessary for a Bodybuilding routine?

Everyone needs to deadlift at some point.

Try it and report back, if one can add 100-150kg to the bar in three months then that is a good sign, you would be much stronger and bigger.

This idea that it will change your shape is just nonsense, you cannot change you muscle shape or bone size and structure it something you are born with.

One day I will be able to fart the entire alphabet. Currently I'm having trouble with the "S".

Yeah, tricky. It's all about relaxing the anal sphincter as you come off the floor, without rounding the lower back. Lockout is too late.

Are deadlifters necessary for bodybuilding?

in my opinion, absolutley not.

Sport strength is so specific. Personally i would not recommend deadlifts for anyone outside powerlifting.

f
For general sports, i would prefer general weight training and an empahsis on power tests that reflecty speed and strength. A power clean probably better.

For a bodybuilder, why risk an injury.

10000000000000% disagree there mate. IMO deadlifts are the best way of bullet-proofing the back and avoiding injury. Telling people to avoid them due to injury risk is like saying never pick up anything ever. Of course competitive deadlifting is a different story.

10000000000000% disagree there mate. IMO deadlifts are the best way of bullet-proofing the back and avoiding injury. Telling people to avoid them due to injury risk is like saying never pick up anything ever. Of course competitive deadlifting is a different story.

Im not being an ass but how come most strong deadlifters usually get injured a lot of the time?

Ben,

I am sure some can benefit doing deadlifts. But i am equally confident that champion bodybuilders or athletes dont gain any bnefit, as long as they are adequately conditioned in relevant muscle areas.

To me sport conditioning is quite simple, although many claim magical program or exercises. You master the skill, and strengthen relevant muscles.

If deadlift were only way to optimise strength in back and legs, then do them. But clearly many great bodybuilders and athletes are freaks without touching them.

I saw Sav Rocca do 240kg at age 16 rarely touching them. I also did a few reps on 260kg first time i tried them after 4 years of general bodybuilding. Obvioulsy i had a strong back and enough technique memory.

I would prefer a strict high bar quat as my major sources of leg strength testing, if we are to use weights as the ultimate form of strenght testing. I have always been quite poor, perhaps 6 on 145kg strict being my best ever.

Last edited:
Im not being an ass but how come most strong deadlifters usually get injured a lot of the time?

That's competitive deadlifting, part of being a competitive powerlifter is pushing your body to its limits. Sometimes shit goes wrong, but I'd say you're still exaggerating a bit. I know tonnes of strong pullers who've never injured themselves pulling.

Ben,

I am sure some can benefit doing deadlifts. But i am equally confident that champion bodybuilders or athletes dont gain any bnefit, as long as they are adequately conditioned in relevant muscle areas.

To me sport conditioning is quite simple, although many claim magical program or exercises. You master the skill, and strengthen relevant muscles.

If deadlift were only way to optimise strength in back and legs, then do them. But clearly many great bodybuilders and athletes are freaks without touching them.

I saw Sav Rocca do 240kg at age 16 rarely touching them. I also did a few reps on 260kg first time i tried them after 4 years of general bodybuilding. Obvioulsy i had a strong back and enough technique memory.

I would prefer a strict high bar quat as my major sources of leg strength testing, if we are to use weights as the ultimate form of strenght testing. I have always been quite poor, perhaps 6 on 145kg strict being my best ever.

Agreed, as I've already said they're not absolutely necessary but they're still one of the best bang-for-buck exercises out there and any beginner lifter would be stupid to avoid them completely.

All beginner lifters should do them and then once they're more experienced lifters they can then decide whether they have a place in their regular training routine. Calling them too dangerous is false as is saying that they have no place in bb'ing.

My torn callous says deadlifts are a bad idea :)
Seriously though... any tips on avoiding that happening?

Player (when he was buddy) posted a video of Rippletoe showing how to grip the bar properly. I took this in, and seriously havent torn a single callous since.
Maybe youtube it...can't find it

Freako how does one tell when they are experience level?

This is the hard part, there is no set marker. If you're lucky enough to have a coach or a more experienced lifter they will help you decide. However if not my best rule of thumb is "if you have to ask then you are not".

Ideally you would have a year or 2 of training experience, developed a decent strength level and physique and had some experience in modifying programs to suit your needs, even if small rep/set changes and a few exercise substitutions.

no matter how much I file and shave off my calluses, I always tear off new ones.. and I have tried using rippetoes technique to no avail =(

Player (when he was buddy) posted a video of Rippletoe showing how to grip the bar properly. I took this in, and seriously havent torn a single callous since.
Maybe youtube it...can't find it

[YOUTUBE]bTqNSgCmM2s[/YOUTUBE]

He's right.
It's also interesting to note that the more you "gooseneck" yout fist, the weaker your grip becomes.
So, if you grasp the bar in the crease of the fingers so that the bar is in-line with the wrist, your grip will be at its strongest.
Because the extensors cross over the wrist joint.
Martial artists know about this, as they are taught to disarm someone by bending the wrist which intern weakens the grip.

Hope that makes sense.
Ive never had callous issues.