• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are Deadlifts necessary for a Bodybuilding routine?

The upper back thickness and density produced by picking heavy things up and putting them down (deads, cleans etc) cant be recreated through other movements IMO.

RDL is better than the deadlift for posterior chain
Wider grip = more upper back
Can round the lower back if you wish if weight is light = better erector builder
Better stretch in glutes, lower back and hamstrings
Eccentric and concentric motion
Etc

Matter?

In relation to what?

Shoulders for v-taper
If you have a 30" waist and your hips are 34" you'll look like a dumbass
If you have 34" hips your v-taper will be just as pronounced with a 34" waist than a 32" waist

meh,
i got up to 202 in the deadlift, didn't do much for me in terms of hypertrophy...
since dropping normal deadlifts my back feels 10x better, i do believe my back is a bit more muscular now after focusing on other back exercises.

For myself, i feel like barbell/dumbell/machine rows and Lat pulldowns are the best for me.

Shoulders for v-taper
If you have 34" hips your v-taper will be just as pronounced with a 34" waist than a 32" waist

Do you think it is possible to improve the "v" "taper" via specific exercise?

Short of re-inserting the the muscle further down the arm, I believe what will happen is just that the muscle or the belly of the muscle becomes thicker, which will create, the barrel chested look.

Shoulders for v-taper

1zdqan8.jpg

meh,
i got up to 202 in the deadlift, didn't do much for me in terms of hypertrophy...
since dropping normal deadlifts my back feels 10x better, i do believe my back is a bit more muscular now after focusing on other back exercises.

For myself, i feel like barbell/dumbell/machine rows and Lat pulldowns are the best for me.

Yeah, I kinda agree with you.

My deadlift is approaching 6 plates and my back doesn't seem to have appreciably thickened from it.

However, unlike you, my back feels fine when deadlifting. Feels great actually.

I would love to do T-bar rows or something similar, but unfortunately, my gym is very ill-equipped to do a good back workout. So deads it is.

I love the overall strength that heavy deadlifting gives you however.

The best back combination.

Pre fatigue those lat's on the pullover
Then finish on a pulldown, it's the only time you will actually feel a burn or fatigue in the lat's.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zW-bzom8mE&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Discover Strength: Pullover(PreExhaust)/Wide Pulldown - YouTube[/ame]

meh,

This is my option but before saying deadlifts don't do much for hypertrophy get your deadlift up to 240-250+ for reps. I think you need to get to a decent level before you can say that it works or doesn't and go replacing it.

Rows movements while great are different than deadlift type movements.

Do you think it is possible to improve the "v" "taper" via specific exercise?

Short of re-inserting the the muscle further down the arm, I believe what will happen is just that the muscle or the belly of the muscle becomes thicker, which will create, the barrel chested look.

Increased shoulder, lat and quad size will increase v-taper by making the hips proportionally smaller

This is my option but before saying deadlifts don't do much for hypertrophy get your deadlift up to 240-250+ for reps. I think you need to get to a decent level before you can say that it works or doesn't and go replacing it.

Rows movements while great are different than deadlift type movements.

Far out, I don't think there are many people on here that are even close to that lol.

Yeah, I kinda agree with you.

My deadlift is approaching 6 plates and my back doesn't seem to have appreciably thickened from it.

However, unlike you, my back feels fine when deadlifting. Feels great actually.

I would love to do T-bar rows or something similar, but unfortunately, my gym is very ill-equipped to do a good back workout. So deads it is.

I love the overall strength that heavy deadlifting gives you however.

For T-bar rows Pistachio, just grab a barbell with one end in a corner and load up the other end with plates, hook a V handle or similar under the bar and row away.

I purchased one of these a while back, I love T-bar rows........eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

Really? :)

Ive seen a couple of guys get to 150 for reps pretty easily...

Sure there are going to be some, after all it is a bbing forum which more people seem to be doing PL, but my point was more there are not heaps doing 150 let alone 250....

For T-bar rows Pistachio, just grab a barbell with one end in a corner and load up the other end with plates, hook a V handle or similar under the bar and row away.

I purchased one of these a while back, I love T-bar rows........eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

We actually have one of those at my gym, but it just didn't seem to work for t-bar rows. Forces you to stand nearly upright, otherwise the 20kg plates smash into your chest.

We had a classic t-bar row at my old gym, was perfect. You could load up as much weight as you liked.

I might give it another crack tho