• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are Deadlifts necessary for a Bodybuilding routine?

Do you find military press also nails your traps?

Can I ask your main reason for doing power shrugs? Mainly to help your deadlift lockout?

I would incorporate shrugs but I would have trouble fitting it into my workout, unless I did them well away from my military press or else I think I'd have trouble pressing the bar. I'm not sure they're even necessary given I'm probably only capable of a 1rm of 75ish kg on MP and 190kg on deadlift.

I dont feel it in my traps from doing MP. Nothing like power shrugs anyway.

Started doing power shrugs to strengthen my upper back and I would say they have done that.

When I started I never deaded. Just the main compounds push/pull. I was still built and solid, but deads later on added some thickness.

My waist/obliques have thickened from deads. Really need to build those lats up in that case.

Whether they're necessary for a newb bodybuilder is debatable, but they're a good idea none the less.

And it would take me a couple minutes to find a heap of BBs that say do deadlifts.

The fact that great backs can be built with deadlifts and without deadlifts proves deadlifts are not compulsory to do well at bodybuilding.

Do you find military press also nails your traps?

Can I ask your main reason for doing power shrugs? Mainly to help your deadlift lockout?

I would incorporate shrugs but I would have trouble fitting it into my workout, unless I did them well away from my military press or else I think I'd have trouble pressing the bar. I'm not sure they're even necessary given I'm probably only capable of a 1rm of 75ish kg on MP and 190kg on deadlift.

The power shrug does not really help the lockout as much as it does the very start of the deadlift. If you're shrugging 50kg over your max for reps then a weight will feel very light off the floor because your traps are not having to work so hard

Rhomboids4Lockout

seeing as this is the bodybuilding section.
Charles Glass (inb4 using google to find out who he is) advises against using deadlifts to build the lower back.

Player, as you know there are literally dozens of exercises you can do for the back, deadlifts being just one of them.
Regardless of what some say here, you don't HAVE to do deadlifts to build a strong muscular back.
Sure, if someone competes or wants to compete in a competition to display strength, then of course they'll have no choice but to include deadlifts as it's one of the required lifts but apart from that they are not mandatory for everyone.
If you or anyone else don't do deadlifts for whatever reason then use the miriad of other back exercises at your disposal to achieve the desired results and be assured that there's no need to justify yourself to anyone here, regardless of their blinkered attitude.

Last edited:
The fact that great backs can be built with deadlifts and without deadlifts proves deadlifts are not compulsory to do well at bodybuilding.

From my first post in this thread.

You don't HAVE to do anything but deadlifts are most likely going to be beneficial.

Of course its not compulsory in BBing, nothings bloody compulsory.

My point and many others on here is beginners have no idea what fucking works for them. Deads are a proven back builder, best bet is put the hard yards in and build up the dead to a decent level before saying they don't build your back or aren't needed.

But like you said BBs don't have to do anything so who gives a shit If some beginner wants to find any excuse not to deadlift and only lift weights under 50kg and call it bodybuilding.

Last edited:
Player, as you know there are literally dozens of exercises you can do for the back, deadlifts being just one of them.
Regardless of what some say here, you don't HAVE to do deadlifts to build a strong muscular back.
Sure, if someone competes or wants to compete in a competition to display strength, then of course they'll have no choice but to include deadlifts as it's one of the required lifts but apart from that they are not mandatory for everyone.
If you or anyone else don't do deadlifts for whatever reason then use the miriad of other back exercises at your disposal to achieve the desired results and be assured that there's no need to justify yourself to anyone here, regardless of their blinkered attitude.

hallelujah :D

good to have you back sir

d1.jpg

d3.jpg

d2.jpg

There is no need to argue

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnO9Jyz82Ps&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Failure to communicate - YouTube[/ame]

The power shrug does not really help the lockout as much as it does the very start of the deadlift. If you're shrugging 50kg over your max for reps then a weight will feel very light off the floor because your traps are not having to work so hard

Rhomboids4Lockout

Stronger lats/traps = hold starting position better = better lockout