• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

AFL strength training

Will help AFL players.

Won't help 15-17 year olds at the expense of doing less skills work and fitness.

No and nor would lifting weights have assisted with preventing the injuries. The 'benefits' of weightlifting in preventing injury are highly overrated (and unsurprisingly, over quoted in bodybuilding forums). Nathan Buckley for example, serious weight lifting, serious fitness nut. Career finished a few years early as a result of hamstring problems.

Again, my comments were in regards to 15-17 year olds wanted to get drafted. Not for professional AFL players. I take offence, like many people playing the sport, that the coaches and trainers are substandard because they don't believe in getting players to powerlift on a daily basis.

Nathan Buckley has also stated that he only ever had hamstring injuries when he wasn't squatting

I'm also calling your bluff on being drafted in 04 to Collingwood then being delisted at the end of the year due to persistent shoulder injuries
a) minimum 2 year contract for draftees
b) the only injury prone player from that draft to Collingwood was Sean Rusling who lasted until 2010(?)

*edit* to add to that your profile says you were born in 88 so the very earliest you could have been drafted was 05 (more likely 06) and everyone (including rookies) from those drafts played at least 1 AFL game
if you're going to make up shit at least do a good job of it

Last edited:
15-17 year olds can get drafted on natural talent alone. They're boys playing against boys. Once they get drafted its suddenly boys vs men, and if they've had no prior weight training experience they get found out. There's always the odd few every year who come in and dominate straight away but they're freaks.

I could easily name 20+ players off the top of my head who would've been better players straight after getting drafted if they had of done some form of weight training. Instead they've come in, might of got the odd game here & there, but haven't played that well.

One example from my team, is Ryan Schoenmakers. He's getting a game due to lack of a Key defender. He is completely out of his depth due to his lack of size. Had he taken part in some weight training, heavy squats, deads, presses etc, and put some size on his frame he would be a much better player. Instead he's 2-3 years off being that.

In response to Spitzy, I agree
Jack Watts, Justin Westoff, Dean Cox, Stephen Hill...are a couple more who need/took a while to build their strength/size to really be competitive.
I reckon Sydney must have a good strength coach, Guys like Kieren Jack, Reid, Kennedy & co all seem to be very strong when they make their debut...either that, or they tend to pick the more physically developed players

Nathan Buckley has also stated that he only ever had hamstring injuries when he wasn't squatting

I'm also calling your bluff on being drafted in 04 to Collingwood then being delisted at the end of the year due to persistent shoulder injuries
a) minimum 2 year contract for draftees
b) the only injury prone player from that draft to Collingwood was Sean Rusling who lasted until 2010(?)

*edit* to add to that your profile says you were born in 88 so the very earliest you could have been drafted was 05 (more likely 06) and everyone (including rookies) from those drafts played at least 1 AFL game
if you're going to make up shit at least do a good job of it

Lol yep he is a bullshit artist

http://ausbb.com/member-training-diaries/14353-skinny-guys-road-mma.html

So drafted in 2004 he would have been 16 and he is only 60kg this time last year, 7 years on from when he was drafted. Haha

Work on your skills all year round.

The skills training should include the conditioning required to recover for your next game.

A good strength coach ensures you have enough strength to be able to play injury free.

I do not believe these three components are met, it's a tough job.
Every one is individual.

They can make you drink milk and lift iron, but they can't/don't want to teach you how to read the game.

My experiences with growing up through the rep system were different. You can't make someone grow another 10cm but you can teach them where to kick the ball.