• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

AFL strength training

pumpedup86

Had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine who was drafted to Essendon.

Basic routine for the off season was a 3 day full body routine, with power cleans and various presses and rows. Running of course was divided between long distance, sprints, and endurance.

The strength levels though we're extremely low, which is to be expected they train for the game they play not to be the strongest.

Who here PTC guys have had any experience with AFL strength and conditioning coaching and what exercises and routines would you suggest for aspiring afl footy players to stick too.

Rowing machine, running, swimming, bike riding. Your ability to run, stay fit and be able to read the game will get you drafted. Not the amount you can bench press.

They can make you drink milk and lift iron, but they can't/don't want to teach you how to read the game.

edit: I'm guessing you're 16 or so? At this point, I'd hope you're in state rep teams or close to that level of play. If so, stay fit, focus on your skills and worry about strength when you get drafted. If you're not, stay fit, focus on your skills and figure out why you're not getting selected.

I'd vote CFFB in offseason but I'd be crucified for saying so :p

Markos and Trent from 2 of the PTC's have mentioned (on this forum and others) taking on football players and been shocked at how weak they are. The training programs they've put them on, from what I can gather, are mostly linear progression on squat, deadlift, bench, press, row, powerclean then sprints & agility work - which is very similar to CFFB without the crucifying name. But I'll let them comment themselves, don't want to put words in their mouth so to speak.

Inseason stuff is a lot different - would have to ask the coaches that one.

No no, my point of the thread was just to see different opionons on AFL strength training, from the guys who have had experience with training with football players.

I have coached before for many seasons and it's a sham to see the guys who could read the play and were very skillfull, fall behind because of their strength and conditioning training.

I in no way train for AFL I Train for vanity and strength, but just interested in people's opinions on how afl strength and conditioning training is in general and if coaches are unhappy with current trends

Ah. My mistake, I thought you were asking for yourself.

I still stand by doing swimming before and/or after school (especially during summer). It keeps fitness up and builds a level of mental toughness. As the season gets closer, start including some running with some hill sprints thrown in weekly. Most importantly, down at the park with dad/brother/friends/alone kicking the ball, chase after it, pick it up and aim for a bucket or object you've placed 3, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50m away. While you do this, pretend it is a game, visualise players, targets and opponents to avoid.

Outside that, you're 12-17, body is developing, make it develop in the way you want. If you're slow, get faster. If you're fast, but not marathon running, then get some distance running in to you. If you're strong but can't kick for shit, kick a lot and so on.

Also depends on the position you play.

Well, most strength and conditioning coaches are Sport Science degree holders. And just like every uni degree, bits of paper don't equate to knowledge.

My ex-coach had the Perth Glory over the offseason, a lot of them didnt know how to deadlift.

Well, most strength and conditioning coaches are Sport Science degree holders. And just like every uni degree, bits of paper don't equate to knowledge.

My ex-coach had the Perth Glory over the offseason, a lot of them didnt know how to deadlift.

And most powerlifters don't know how to curve a corner kick.

Hell, watching anyone who has never played AFL try bouncing the ball is hilarious. Different skill set. I'm not sure what the ability to deadlift would do to help improve a professional soccer players ability to play.

Injury prevention is number 1 in professional sports. They count the amount of times players kick, tackle, get tackled, fall over, trip etc. during games, training and in the gym. Each of these is assigned a number, when a player gets over a certain number, their training program changes and they potentially get rested for a week.

Hamstring rips are probably the most common injury for athletes who run. Doing deadlifts would only increase the amount of pressure these already tightly strung muscles are under.

Hamstring rips are probably the most common injury for athletes who run. Doing deadlifts would only increase the amount of pressure these already tightly strung muscles are under.

They're the most injured bodypart. Strengthening them reduces their chance of injury since they're no longer the weak link in the chain. Remember we're talking offseason here.

They're the most injured bodypart. Strengthening them reduces their chance of injury since they're no longer the weak link in the chain. Remember we're talking offseason here.

Well, we're talking about a kid wanting to get in to the AFL here. So, again, being able to deadlift 500kg won't improve your chances of being drafted. Being able to run, have no history of injuries and being able to play AFL will help you get drafted.

Lifting weights isn't a key part of any fitness intensive sport. AFL and Soccer players run up to a 1/2 Marathons each game. Doing deadlifts in the off-season won't help you run better, kick better, or read the game better.

Why is it that guys with chicken legs can kick a ball 60m+, while if I gave Ronnie Coleman in his peak a football, he could probably kick it 5m? His legs are much bigger, therefore he should be able to kick it further right?

Ronnie Coleman vs Tiger Woods. Who can drive a golf ball further? etc.

Size, in sports, means shit. Unless your position specifically requires it. Prop for example, DT in NFL as another. But again, their ability to block and scrummage is based on skills. The amount they lift will be secondary to their ability to play.

So, the pro-tip for kids wanting to make it in the AFL and get drafted. Get out of the gym, go for a ride, run, swim and kick. If you can play good, take the hits and play your position well.

First thing why would you suggest rowing machine, swimming and bike riding for AFL training, that's retarded unless your injured and can't run. Ill ride a bike for footy training when I am allowed to ride a bike on the oval. Recovery is already stretched when footy training for footy why stretch it any more by getting fit for something like swimming when you will never need that type of fitness on the footy field.

As for weight training. 500kg deadlift lol no one can do a 500kg deadlift so they are not training for that. Weight training is to get stronger in the muscles that will help them play better and injury prevention. Hammy pulls are common because the muscle is weak. Deads would be a great exercise for footy players.

No ones asking them to do 500kg deadlifts. No ones denying that skill is required for every sport. (Nitpick, you mentioned a golf reference there, not a sport). Strength is the variable that adds something to everyone's game.

If you had to choose a guy for your basketball team - me who hits 65% of my shots, or me who hits 65% of my shots and also squatted heavy over the offseason, who would you pick?

I'd pick the latter. Chances are the squatting me can jump higher and run faster.

Bottom line is, any player of any sport in any country, plus strength equals better player.

No ones asking them to do 500kg deadlifts. No ones denying that skill is required for every sport. (Nitpick, you mentioned a golf reference there, not a sport). Strength is the variable that adds something to everyone's game.

If you had to choose a guy for your basketball team - me who hits 65% of my shots, or me who hits 65% of my shots and also squatted heavy over the offseason, who would you pick?

I'd pick the latter. Chances are the squatting me can jump higher and run faster.

Bottom line is, any player of any sport in any country, plus strength equals better player.

The World's Highest-Paid Athletes - Forbes Forbes disagrees.

The better question is, would I even ask you how much you squat? Nope.

edit: Feel free to think that lifting weights will increase your chance of getting drafted. Instead of spending that time getting fit. AFL Scouts don't care about your lifts. The game has evolved past strength. It's a running game. Big, slow, players have been left behind.

First thing why would you suggest rowing machine, swimming and bike riding for AFL training, that's retarded unless your injured and can't run. Ill ride a bike for footy training when I am allowed to ride a bike on the oval. Recovery is already stretched when footy training for footy why stretch it any more by getting fit for something like swimming when you will never need that type of fitness on the footy field.

Because running gets boring, mix up your fitness. As a kid, would you want to spend your time running laps alone? Or riding with friends on a bike, swimming at the beach with friends. Mix it up, have fun with it. Or kids will stop doing it.

I'm not surprised that on a bodybuilding forum, everyone is of the opinion 'lift weights' will win you everything. Reality is, it won't. If lifting weights was key, the teams with shitloads of cash, would have their players lifting a lot of weights during the offseason.

They don't. The team who has the lowest rate of injuries (well, had, this season hasnt been that great), spends very little time in the gym during the off and on season. Only players that are lifting weights are those that need to put on a few extra kilos (generally, rookie players).

Last edited:

Yep.

The 500kg deadlift and Ronny Colman kicking examples were fucking retarded

Take a player who has never lifted. As an example he might be able to S/B/D something like 70 / 70 / 100. Get the easy beginner gains out of him and get the lifts to 140 / 100 / 180 and he will be a better, stronger, faster player. A footy player with lifts well over these does not need to spend much time in the gym and would be better off spending there time on other aspects of there game and just maintaining strength.

The World's Highest-Paid Athletes - Forbes Forbes disagrees.

The better question is, would I even ask you how much you squat? Nope.

Forbes is shit, make another thread and we can discuss reasons why golf isnt a sport. It is quite enjoyable though.

And no, you wouldn't ask me how much I squat. And I wouldn't tell you. It'd be evident in the athlete's game that they can run faster, jump higher and are generally all around awesome. I'd rather be player who can make 8/10 plays all afternoon than a 10/10 play once and be fucked.

I'm happy for any of the strength coaches here to chime in and tell me I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, I love learning new things. Sports performance is something that is close to my heart and I love to learn more about it. But (tell me if I have no comprehension skills here) you're saying strength is pointless in sports and I find that laughable at best. Perhaps turn the telly on tonight and watch a sport of your choosing.

Like I said before, AFL is all about relative strength. BUT...

Kicking a ball is mostly technique more than strength/size but it probably helps. Have a look a the past/present superboots: Stuart Dew, Saverio/Anthony Rocca, Shannon Hurn, Quentin Lynch, Ben Graham...they had pretty solid legs.

I'm sure they have strength plans in place over summer, while keeping condition. Example, Stephen Hill is at least 9kg's heavier in lean muscle than last year.

oh....and anyone remember one of the greatest full forwards and contested marks of all time, Jason Dunstall. During his prime, reportedly had a 150kg+ bench

But (tell me if I have no comprehension skills here) you're saying strength is pointless in sports and I find that laughable at best. Perhaps turn the telly on tonight and watch a sport of your choosing.

Last I checked, the guys playing in the games this afternoon won't be 15 years old.

Kicking a ball is mostly technique more than strength/size but it probably helps. Have a look a the past/present superboots: Stuart Dew, Saverio/Anthony Rocca, Shannon Hurn, Quentin Lynch, Ben Graham...they had pretty solid legs.

But that style of forward is gone. Forwards are required to run a lot more than they once did. There are a few teams with a big guy in the forward 50 who does not run much, but, they are rare and they have to have a fucking solid overhead mark and ability to kick a lot of goals. It's rare for them to exist, and it's becoming even more rare. If they get rid of the unlimited subs, that might change the dynamic of the game. But as it currently sits with the flood in, flood out, style of play. The fitter team wins.

Are you shittin me? All forwards?
Ben Graham was a backman for starters
Stewart Dew- midfielder/forward
Quentin Lynch- Now used as a floating midfielder/ruckman/utility
Anthony Rocca in particular was a Centre Half, and if you knew the game, you'd know CHF's do a fuckload of running.
Shannon Hurn- running backman, sets up most of WC's forward thrusts

Lets not forget McKenzie for GC who is a midfielder...