• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

AFL strength training

So I take it you've been to one of these summer training camps then? What'd they have you do there?

Using my own history, I played basketball. In hindsight I wished I had done some gym work - who knows I could have been drafted to an NBL team lol. Our S&C coach never prescribed it, but I wished he had. He had us doing drills and intervals, but if I had been stronger that would have added a massive element and another dimension to my game.

Due to this, I'd never not prescribe strength work to any aspiring athlete of any sport or discipline.

*facepalm*

You don't fucking read do you? This is about kids 15-16 years old and how to get drafted.

You don't read either.

No no, my point of the thread was just to see different opionons on AFL strength training...

just interested in people's opinions on how afl strength and conditioning training is in general and if coaches are unhappy with current trends

The OP enquired about the training in general, clarified by this, OP's second post

So I take it you've been to one of these summer training camps then? What'd they have you do there?

Using my own history, I played basketball. In hindsight I wished I had done some gym work - who knows I could have been drafted to an NBL team lol. Our S&C coach never prescribed it, but I wished he had. He had us doing drills and intervals, but if I had been stronger that would have added a massive element and another dimension to my game.

Due to this, I'd never not prescribe strength work to any aspiring athlete of any sport or discipline.

Skills and drills. Jump tests, beep tests and a range of other testing. But the main focus is skills and drills with a few friendly games thrown in.

To think that doing weights would have somehow added an extra dimension to your abilities to go on and get drafted is a bit naive, but a common thought. Plenty of people who 'nearly made it' have those thoughts of what I should have done.

Reality is, if it was a lack of doing weights when you were 16 that might have stopped you from being drafted, you were never in with a chance.

You don't read either.

The OP enquired about the training in general, clarified by this, OP's second post

Well pointed out. Since I think there might be 1 or 2 posters in here who actually know what teams do for training. It will be filled (like it has been) with statements that do not take it to consideration a range of issues. All sports where running is the main focus do not do a whole lot of weight training. WR, CBs in the NFL for example do minimal weight training and a whole lot of resistance running instead.

Last edited:
Also speed and explosiveness can't really be improved - it's genetically predetermined
What you can do though is get stronger and nothing does this better than strength training.
NOTHING will make more of an impact than strength training

I would like to know how many players get drafted on the rowing and bike riding exercise program. Lol. I am sure the AFL draft camp has a rowing test. Haha. You want to get drafted, get fitter, faster, get better skills, get stronger and play really good footy. If you get bored tuff shit, obviously not cut out for it. All the under 18 comps that kids get drafted from have strength programs. One of the guys that I know who got drafted could bench around 120 at 17, i saw him do it, he was in the gym a lot. Funny never saw him on the rowing machine. Lol. He was strong and fast no doubt that helped him get drafted.

At draft camps among many tests are speed and vertical jump. A good weights program will improve both, you dont think that will help you get drafted??

I would like to know how many players get drafted on the rowing and bike riding exercise program. Lol. I am sure the AFL draft camp has a rowing test. Haha. You want to get drafted, get fitter, faster, get better skills, get stronger and play really good footy. If you get bored tuff shit, obviously not cut out for it. All the under 18 comps that kids get drafted from have strength programs. One of the guys that I know who got drafted could bench around 120 at 17, i saw him do it, he was in the gym a lot. Funny never saw him on the rowing machine. Lol. He was strong and fast no doubt that helped him get drafted.

At draft camps among many tests are speed and vertical jump. A good weights program will improve both, you dont think that will help you get drafted??

Interestingly enough I noticed that the 2 main indicators for getting better at cycling for me were vertical jump and deadlift 1RM
I tried doing all sorts of jump work and speed drills, dynamic lifts like power cleans but none of it worked that well. However strength training got it right up and FAST.

home2.jpg

WR, CBs in the NFL for example do minimal weight training and a whole lot of resistance running instead.

lmao what the fuck are you on about
a play in american football lasts less than 10 seconds
now what do you really think the better way to train for this is?

-Max effort resistance training for up to 10 seconds exertion
-Sub maximal running

Bearing in mind that speed and explosiveness have limited training ability aside from just getting stronger

You're really obsessing over the rowing machine line aren't you?

Since you were drafted to a professional team and all, please, tell us how your professional team trains.

Again, since you were successful in becoming drafted, how did your weight lifting program assist with that. Did you find it increased your vertical jump?

Your friend that got drafted, what was his name? Who did he get drafted by? Was he released by the club? Or is he playing AFL?

Last edited:
Not being smart GLD, you were drafted by the Pies and couldn't shake the injuries, did you have some strength training under your belt?

You're really obsessing over the rowing machine line aren't you?

Since you were drafted to a professional team and all, please, tell us how your professional team trains.

Again, since you were successful in becoming drafted, how did your weight lifting program assist with that. Did you find it increased your vertical jump?

Your friend that got drafted, what was his name? Who did he get drafted by? Was he released by the club? Or is he playing AFL?

He is still playing. 100+ games.

Anyone that says a good weight training program won't help an AFL player is an idiot.

Douche you really are a Douche. After being involved with a VFL team and watching them train and play, size was a big issue. They would constaintly get bumped off the ball or were second to the contest. All because previously not having a S&C coach knowing what was needed. Yes they could run all day but if you don't have the ball you cannot score. Do you think Lance Armstrong gets out the footy to train for the Tour. Then why do we need to see footballers doing interval training on a bike (or Rower). Collingwood showed why they have been good over the last couple of years. The introduction of Marty has been the best for the sport and I'm sure Ironedge and Eleiko will both tell you AFL teams have made inroads in this area which the purchase of plates and barbells to replace the clubs machines.

Will help AFL players.

Won't help 15-17 year olds at the expense of doing less skills work and fitness.

Not being smart GLD, you were drafted by the Pies and couldn't shake the injuries, did you have some strength training under your belt?

No and nor would lifting weights have assisted with preventing the injuries. The 'benefits' of weightlifting in preventing injury are highly overrated (and unsurprisingly, over quoted in bodybuilding forums). Nathan Buckley for example, serious weight lifting, serious fitness nut. Career finished a few years early as a result of hamstring problems.

Again, my comments were in regards to 15-17 year olds wanted to get drafted. Not for professional AFL players. I take offence, like many people playing the sport, that the coaches and trainers are substandard because they don't believe in getting players to powerlift on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Bazza are you disagreeing with Gail completely because I see his point. Weight training initially will only get you so far in a game of running...

Will help AFL players.

Won't help 15-17 year olds at the expense of doing less skills work and fitness.

No and nor would lifting weights have assisted with preventing the injuries. The 'benefits' of weightlifting in preventing injury are highly overrated (and unsurprisingly, over quoted in bodybuilding forums). Nathan Buckley for example, serious weight lifting, serious fitness nut. Career finished a few years early as a result of hamstring problems.

Your an idiot. When has anyone ever said to do weights at the expense of fitness and skills. No one has ever said that. Do both. And yes weights will help 15-17 year olds.

Bazza are you disagreeing with Gail completely because I see his point. Weight training initially will only get you so far in a game of running...

I have never said only do weights, that is retarded. I am saying a good weights program will make you a better player but obviously you still have to do all the other stuff for fitness, skills, speed ect.