• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

AFL strength training

Are you shittin me? All forwards?
Ben Graham was a backman for starters
Stewart Dew- midfielder/forward
Quentin Lynch- Now used as a floating midfielder/ruckman/utility
Anthony Rocca in particular was a Centre Half, and if you knew the game, you'd know CHF's do a fuckload of running.
Shannon Hurn- running backman, sets up most of WC's forward thrusts

Lets not forget McKenzie for GC who is a midfielder...

You guys are the most pedantic folk I've ever run in to (hurr hurr, nobody deadlifts 500kg).

My point remains valid, even if I didn't bother listing every position on the field. The game has changed a lot and the bigger guys are no longer wanted on teams. The kids that get drafted early are tall, skinny and fit as fuck.

Can we stop talking about AFL players? They're not draft picks. Players put on size when they get drafted, not before and I'll say it again. It's good to see that keyboard experts know more than the trainers and coaches employed on serious money to teams who have won multiple premierships, FA Cups etc.

Last edited:
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. If a player is weak get him stronger and he will be a better player.

Lol who is the keyboard expert. Have you played footy before??

GLD, I agree with your last comment, players get drafted due to their talent, then put on muscle...and I said in my first post, that strength only helps, but of course the skill takes priority :)

GLD, I agree with your last comment, players get drafted due to their talent, then put on muscle...and I said in my first post, that strength only helps, but of course the skill takes priority :)

Skill and fitness should take priority. There is no incentive to spend less time kicking and more time doing deadlifts because ultimately, you're a kid. You have friends, you have school, you have shitty assignments and homework to do. You will also likely have giant blue balls and you will want to fuck every girl your age, or basically any age.

So you won't have the time to go running, go to the gym, go kick the football on top of all of that. Reality is, kids will probably only do one of those and to say do deadlifts over the others is bad advice.

Skill and fitness should take priority. There is no incentive to spend less time kicking and more time doing deadlifts because ultimately, you're a kid. You have friends, you have school, you have shitty assignments and homework to do. You will also likely have giant blue balls and you will want to fuck every girl your age, or basically any age.

So you won't have the time to go running, go to the gym, go kick the football on top of all of that. Reality is, kids will probably only do one of those and to say do deadlifts over the others is bad advice.

Lol. No one said to do one or the other of course skill and fitness are important, no one said otherwise, but you don't think increasing speed and strength are important for footy??They are a lot more important than sitting on the bloody rowing machine or riding a bike that's for sure. lol.

Lol. No one said to do one or the other of course skill and fitness are important, no one said otherwise, but you don't think increasing speed and strength are important for footy??They are a lot more important than sitting on the bloody rowing machine or riding a bike that's for sure. lol.

Clearly not that good at reading.

So you won't have the time to go running, go to the gym, go kick the football on top of all of that. Reality is, kids will probably only do one of those and to say do deadlifts over the others is bad advice

You think a kid is going to want to run around an oval to increase his fitness and only that? Good luck that with buddy. He will do it for a bit, get bored, then go do shit with his friends.

Speed and strength are important. Upper body strength is very important in AFL, rowing helps with that. Being able to run a half marathon is even more important. Sure, if this kid has time to do all three. Go to the gym, do squats, deadlifts, whatever.

But again, you're all caught up in the 'squats = speed' 'deadlifts = better kicking'. That comes last, a very, very, distant last.

If it came first, AFL draft would be like the NFL draft. But it isn't, so it isn't.

Clearly not that good at reading.

You think a kid is going to want to run around an oval to increase his fitness and only that? Good luck that with buddy. He will do it for a bit, get bored, then go do shit with his friends.

Speed and strength are important. Upper body strength is very important in AFL, rowing helps with that. Being able to run a half marathon is even more important. Sure, if this kid has time to do all three. Go to the gym, do squats, deadlifts, whatever.

But again, you're all caught up in the 'squats = speed' 'deadlifts = better kicking'. That comes last, a very, very, distant last.

If it came first, AFL draft would be like the NFL draft. But it isn't, so it isn't.

I played footy last night and I can tell you no amount of shitty training on rower or bike would have helped me but I know being stronger did.

I played footy last night and I can tell you no amount of shitty training on rower or bike would have helped me but I know being stronger did.

Yet, you don't play professionally, nor are you playing high school grade football. Shit leagues are generally a lot more strength based, because players are generally worse at the skills required so they make up for it in being rough as hell.

Can we stop talking about AFL players? They're not draft picks. Players put on size when they get drafted, not before and I'll say it again. It's good to see that keyboard experts know more than the trainers and coaches employed on serious money to teams who have won multiple premierships, FA Cups etc.

Yet, you don't play professionally, nor are you playing high school grade football. Shit leagues are generally a lot more strength based, because players are generally worse at the skills required so they make up for it in being rough as hell.

Lol. no idea what you are talking about do you. I have played high level of school grade football. Our league is of a very good standard, there a blokes being paid over $2000 a game. It is very professional and not even close to a shit league. Lol.

Have you ever played footy??

I remember reading some of the top soccer clubs contacted Louie Simmons on getting them stronger. If only they new they would have been better off getting on the exercise bike and rowing machine.

I wish I new when I was 10 what I know today, perhaps we wouldnt be having this conversation.

I played at a high level in junior soccer, and we had no strength and conditioning coach or program, they used to perform basic tests but merely a a tool to sort players out, not as a tool to control and monitor training.

In a nutshell I was skillful, new the game, but I was weak, and hence therein lied my problem.

For me absolute strength and endurance training isnt optional if you want to excel.

Perhaps getting drafted in AFL its not essential, which is surprising if that is correct.

I was drafted by Collingwood in '04. Released a year later due to ongoing shoulder and knee issues. Never got a game of AFL footy, and from draft to being released I barely played a game at all. Oh and I never said exercise bike, a kid should be out there riding a bike with friends. Not in a gym doing the same thing. If the school has a rowing team, I'd say do that during summer, instead of using a machine.

Our league is of a very good standard, there a blokes being paid over $2000 a game.

Good standard sure, AFL/NRL/Whataver you mean by 'footy' standard? No. Not even close and I think we have identified where you are confused on this issue. You think it is close to that standard.

Again, you're talking about leagues outside of high school and also talking with no idea.

It's good to see that keyboard experts know more than the trainers and coaches employed on serious money to teams who have won multiple premierships, FA Cups etc.

Can someone address this? If you all know so much better than AFL scouts, coaches and trainers, why are you not employed by them?

Who here PTC guys have had any experience with AFL strength and conditioning coaching and what exercises and routines would you suggest for aspiring afl footy players to stick too.

And lets get back to the OP. I think I'm the only person that has commented on it so far. What would you recommend a 15 year old kid to do?

Last edited:
Can someone address this? If you all know so much better than AFL scouts, coaches and trainers, why are you not employed by them?

I have a relative who is a sports science professor at a university. Him and every single one of his colleagues is either a professor, Masters/PHDs in sports science, sports psychology, human kinesiology , etc etc etc.

Every single one of these people bar none dont know how to deadlift or squat yet this is a pre-requisite qualification to look after a sports teams strength and conditioning needs.

Do the sums.

I have a relative who is a sports science professor at a university. Him and every single one of his colleagues is either a professor, Masters/PHDs in sports science, sports psychology, human kinesiology , etc etc etc.

Every single one of these people bar none dont know how to deadlift or squat yet this is a pre-requisite qualification to look after a sports teams strength and conditioning needs.

Do the sums.

Personal Trainers know how to do squats and deadlifts, but don't know how that works. Academics know how the body works, but don't need to know how to do squats or deadlifts.

People working in the highly competitive, highly paid, world of professional sports teams, know both and know both quite well. But again, the head trainer of fitness at most AFL teams are paid close to $1mil a year. Yet, they're giving the players sub-par treatment and not getting the best out of them.

All they need is a guy on an internet forum.

I was drafted by Collingwood in '04. Released a year later due to ongoing shoulder and knee issues. Never got a game of AFL footy, and from draft to being released I barely played a game at all. Oh and I never said exercise bike, a kid should be out there riding a bike with friends. Not in a gym doing the same thing. If the school has a rowing team, I'd say do that during summer, instead of using a machine.

Good standard sure, AFL/NRL/Whataver you mean by 'footy' standard? No. Not even close and I think we have identified where you are confused on this issue. You think it is close to that standard.

Again, you're talking about leagues outside of high school and also talking with no idea.

And lets get back to the OP. I think I'm the only person that has commented on it so far. What would you recommend a 15 year old kid to do?

As much as I think the strength programs of some AFL clubs can be pretty shitty, they all do weights programs. Collingwood did have a powerlifter doing there strength training. Maybe you should tell them they are doing it all wrong, strength is not needed for AFL apparently but a rowing machine is??

As much as I think the strength programs of some AFL clubs can be pretty shitty, they all do weights programs. Collingwood did have a powerlifter doing there strength training. Maybe you should tell them they are doing it all wrong, strength is not needed for AFL apparently but a rowing machine is??

*facepalm*

You don't fucking read do you? This is about kids 15-16 years old and how to get drafted. Not about how to be a pro AFL player, because, if you're asking that question here. You're not a pro AFL player, you've got a dietitian, trainer and coach who will outline everything for you.

So, again, let's see if you read this. Kids will not run laps on a regular basis, they will get bored and stop. Kids will ride their bike with friends, and they will use a rowing machine (plus, it increases their cardio as well as upper body strength). So again, telling a kid to run laps, won't work.

Kids will have training after school (so swimming before school works well), they will also have assignments, a girlfriend and friends. So, going for a kick with friends, will happen, going for a ride with friends, will happen. Going to the gym, will not, or it will at the expense of something else (and I've seen it generally effect their skills, because they keep running/whatever, and going to the gym, but stop kicking the ball around).

It's highly competitive out there. They're looking for general athletes these days, Cricket in future years will find it hard to have top caliber players because AFL in the last at least 5 drafts has taken a lot of players from the u18 SA, VIC, WA cricket teams.

*facepalm*

You don't fucking read do you? This is about kids 15-16 years old and how to get drafted. Not about how to be a pro AFL player, because, if you're asking that question here. You're not a pro AFL player, you've got a dietitian, trainer and coach who will outline everything for you.

The original poster said his mate had been drafted to Essendon. Now I know Collingwood players aren't very bright, but Essendon is an AFL team. He then went on to discuss the offseason exercises he was put through and how not many of them were very strong. Therefore it's not about 15-16 year olds, and its not about getting drafted.

The original poster said his mate had been drafted to Essendon. Now I know Collingwood players aren't very bright, but Essendon is an AFL team. He then went on to discuss the offseason exercises he was put through and how not many of them were very strong. Therefore it's not about 15-16 year olds, and its not about getting drafted.

Who here PTC guys have had any experience with AFL strength and conditioning coaching and what exercises and routines would you suggest for aspiring afl footy players to stick too.

Aspiring afl footy players.

Aspiring. Not already in the AFL. Before you get in to the AFL, you need to be drafted.

So.

It's about getting in to the AFL, by being drafted. Most kids wanting to know how to get drafted in the AFL are about 15. If you're asking the question at 17, you're probably not good enough and it's a bit too late as kids at 17 are being drafted. Hell, kids at 15 are being paid money to attend training camps etc. during summer by clubs if they're viewed as being potentially good.

If you're in your 20s and want to know. My advice is get another skill set. You're very unlikely to get a game in the AFL, there are cases of it happening. But it is rare.

edit: His friends comments also further my point that strength isn't a key issue in AFL.