• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I've previously tried cycling high carb training days and high fat rest days (leangains style), as you have suggested. I found it a lot easier (both physically and physiologically) to restrict carbs and lose body fat.

Based on the catalyst episode Shane Watson (including many other athletes) has experienced similar results so it's something people looking to reduce body fat while remaining highly active should consider.

If people are highly active why are they having to restrict calories so low to lose fat. Something isn't right there.

Why the need to do high carb and then high fat days. Why not just stick with a happy medium.

yeah people looking to lose fat on a body building forum, something isn't right there

Read my post again. I didn't say there was a problem with losing fat. I was saying there is a problem if people, especially highly active people, need to reduce there calories so low that they can't fit in reasonable amounts of both fat and carbs daily.

Read my post again. I didn't say there was a problem with losing fat. I was saying there is a problem if people, especially highly active people, need to reduce there calories so low that they can't fit in reasonable amounts of both fat and carbs daily.

But they might be able to get better results without one or the other.

CBF with the bickering. The best diet is the one that you will stick to. If you happen to prefer cutting out entire macronutrients and food groups then go ahead. If you like to eat a balanced diet then go that one. Goals change and in extreme cases then carbs may need to be reduced to quite low levels ( as they are the least important macro) but for the majority it isn't required. (FWIW I dropped carbs when I was 7.2% BF per dexa, flexible dieted all the way down to that. Reason I dropped is because of time frame for comp and I know that carb cycling. Trainging performance goes to shit though)

But they might be able to get better results without one or the other.

The point he's trying to make is why are they overweight or needing to lose weight if they are an active athlete. There is surely something else wrong in their diet they need to correct first. I would say it's most likely just putting anything in their mouth with no control. Once their base diet is sorted, and they're still not happy with results, then look at specific diets.

Most diets try to over complicate a simple solution.

The point he's trying to make is why are they overweight or needing to lose weight if they are an active athlete. There is surely something else wrong in their diet they need to correct first. I would say it's most likely just putting anything in their mouth with no control. Once their base diet is sorted, and they're still not happy with results, then look at specific diets.

That and I have no problem with athletes trying to lose fat but being active they shouldn't need to reduce calories that low they can't fit carbs in also.

Basically an adult male is doing something wrong if they have to restrict calories down to the 1500 level to lose fat and have no room for carbs.

^^^ until you are 6% :p

Agreed though. I see adult males saying they are on those sorts of cals all the time (on MFP) but the reality is that the majority of them are not tracking accurately and are underestimating.

^^^ until you are 6% :p

Agreed though. I see adult males saying they are on those sorts of cals all the time (on MFP) but the reality is that the majority of them are not tracking accurately and are underestimating.

Agree. Getting down to those sorts of levels you gotta do what you've gotta do regardless of effects on performance in the gym.

Some people find they function better without carbs. I am on a ketogenic diet and it has helped with my depression (off meds with the diet). Also I don't have the bloating and tiredness that I used to have. So far I have not lost anything in the weight room, and feel much better on the indoor soccer field (can run more and have more energy). I don't see an issue with cutting something that is non-essential if it works better with your aims and or health.
I don't understand the eat balanced thing. If something is making you feel bad there is nothing wrong with getting rid of it. Some people aren't as sensitive and they can eat more carbs and feel great, good on them. Each person is different and I don't think that you should treat us all the same by saying that you have to eat one way or another. Eat what is best for you!!!

Have you watched the interviews with Shane Watson in the video?

I did watch it when it was on TV 2 weeks ago. He basically said he started the diet because the cricket coach/medic lost weight and wanted to copy him. I can't remember anything else that stood out in the interview.

I may be on my own here, but I wouldn't call cricketers elite athletes. They stand around half the day with the occasion jog and bend over. Then the other half of the day they're on a bench waiting to do short interval sprints with plenty of rest periods. Using fat as a fuel source is ideal for that type of activity.

Last edited:
I did watch it when it was on TV 2 weeks ago. He basically said he started the diet because the cricket coach/medic lost weight and wanted to copy him. I can't remember anything else that stood out in the interview.

I may be on my own here, but I wouldn't call cricketers elite athletes. They stand around half the day with the occasion jog and bend over. Then the other half of the day they're on a bench waiting to do short interval sprints with plenty of rest periods. Using fat as a fuel source is ideal for that type of activity.

you're not not on your own here

The reason I asked is because the bit that stood out to me (mainly because it's mirrors my own experience) is when he said (words to the effect of) "when I've been on diets before to drop body fat I've felt like I'm starving." LCHF helps him remain trim but not feel like he's on a diet. This is despite his high activity levels.

You only need to look at blokes like Stewart Dew and Dane Swan to see some very fit active individuals still carry around excess fat.
Batsmen sure but fast bowling is extraordinarily taxing on the body.

Last edited: