• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

xfit appreciation thread

lost it at the push ups
happy-grin.png
For me it was the squats that brought on the lolstorm.

One thing I still want to know is why is crossfit better than a regular strength and conditioning training methods.

I understand xfit, and I can see how it works. Shit anything that is hard work is going to do something for strength/muscle/fat loss etc.

But what I am not sure about is the xfit that is based on performance programing, with quality progression and exercise selection.
Is this actually classed as cross fit? or
Is it just performed in a cross fit gym, as they do have all the necessary equipment etc?
As for the more traditional approach to xfit, I can see why it has caused such condemnation from so many. The xfit name has now become synonymous with with
fitness to the general public, so I think the trainers of xfit have a responsability to provide proper instruction and quality progression/exercise selection for their clients. I have no doubt that this is happening as Deep and Wingman have described this scenario in this thread.
Is xfit a bad thing for the general public? this I'm not sure on yet, sure some trainers advocate pore instruction and many actually teach moves that will cause harm (no difference to some PTs and commercial gyms etc) but I think anything that captures the focus of the general public and gets them training, ultimatly has to be better than nothing at all.
Lets face it, its getting lazy people off their asses, so it has its place IMO.
To claim its the best form of training is rediculous, and anyone who trains for a while and does some different stuff will realize that pretty quickly.

G

Last edited:
I really dislike the crossfit head office, I think thats where a lot of the animosity stems from.

a) They put crap wods on their website everyday which non crossfitters think are the only wods, not realising that the 3000+ franchises do their own programming, or that the principles can be used to do your own hiit / conditioning. Even a lot of crossfitters mock the head office programming / wods.

b) They make up crap claims - one in their FAQ was that they could develop a 700lb deadlift in 2 years, even if 1rm deadlift attempts only appear in their wods a couple of times a year.

c) They have an elitist attitude. They think that regardless of your goals - strength gain, hypertrophy, weightloss, etc crossfit is the best possible option. They've also banned me (and others) for talking out about crossfit on the crossfit forums. World would be much better if they saw crossfit for what it was, just hiit/conditioning with a stopwatch with a brand name. Combine it with a strength program (such as Wendlers or Texas Method) and it can be fun and productive.

I enjoyed crossfit back when i was doing it at a crossfit gym, until they started messing with the program. They didnt do any of the 3 problems mentioned above.

All the other crossfits in Perth (havent looked at ones in other cities) program 30 minute wods everyday which dont fit my goals at all. If I had somewhere to do it, I'd follow the NFL (American football) version of crossfit - it suits my goals of being strong, fast & powerful, its well structured and has a sound template to it. It's looks quite fun too - they programmed prowler suicides today.

So you disagree about what crossfit is with its creator? Could it be that what you think is crossfit is not actually crossfit but just strength and conditioning training using the crossfit name to get business?

Why is it people who have really good marketing strategies claiming to more or less re invent the wheel seem to have these delusions of grandeur. Seems like the 'crossfit acolytes' and Mehdi (stronglifts 5 x 5 guy and narcissistic douchebag) have the same thing going on. You’re not a genius you didn’t ‘invent’ or ‘discover a new training method’ out, you just re branded one.

/end useless rant.

l would agree more or less with that as well. I don't find him as bad as the examples l had so l didn't want to class him in the same group.

l dont think rip claims to have discovered new training methods though. He does acknowledge that the ideas have been out there for quite a while and he does quote a few other people that helped his way of thinking training wise.

l dont think rip claims to have discovered new training methods though. He does acknowledge that the ideas have been out there for quite a while and he does quote a few other people that helped his way of thinking training wise.

Exactly. They are all outspoken. Put Poliquin in there too. He has slowly gone to master marketeer over the years and now has some huge out there claims.

To be honest l havn't seen the main guy of crossfit too much so l can't comment too much on him but Mehdi's an ego maniac more or less. l was on his forum for a little while until he made you pay to use it which l didn't wan't to do (he said if you don't want to pay for it you're selfish... That made little sense to me) he was always sending emails out about how he managed to but the latest 3 series BMW and if you thought that was him bragging then you were a crab trying to bring him down and it was just.... really fucked up once you look back on it. There were more examples but l can't rememeber them all at the moment to be honest.

Not to mention his lifts were crap
Sub-200 pull, sub-100 overhead/bench or thereabouts

*figures may or may not have been made up on the spot

*edit* from another board

Quote: Hanley
From now on when anyone mentions Stronglifts this will be my standard response;

Who is Mehdi? Mehdi is author & founder of StrongLifts.com. He’s been training consistently since 10 years.

Best Lifts (all raw, no belt) @ 75kg - as at 1/1/09
* Deadlift: 170kg
* Box Squat: 135kg
* Box Front Squat: 130kg
* Bench Press: 100kg
* clean & press: 65kg

Why people listen to this guy like he's some sort of guru is beyond me.

Last edited:
He had a.... 500 pound deadlift after nearly 10ish years of training and.... l can't remember what else. It wasn't impressive by any stretch and maybe 1 or 2 of his followers were actually strong and l think thats mainly due to following different programs for longer then they followed stronglifts.

So you disagree about what crossfit is with its creator? Could it be that what you think is crossfit is not actually crossfit but just strength and conditioning training using the crossfit name to get business?

Yeah maybe that's it, or maybe I think of crossfit as principles rather than a program. The 2nd half of your comment i agree with - its just S&C with a name. McDonalds sells more burgers than mum&pop burgers on main st of littletown, same thing.

Not sure how many of you guys are aware that Rippetoe was part of crossfit. He owned a crossfit gym and unfranchised himself as he had an argument with crossfit head office. He still has that same gym and runs things his own way, but i doubt anyone would have heard of him otherwise.