• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I would disagree with pulling up not back...I find pulling back engages my hams and glutes more and gets the chest up.
I guess everyone is different, I do totally agree with just bending over, and finding your strongest position.

Dicko, I suppose what I'm trying to point out is to maintain the same position over the foot, the mid foot in this case.

You don't want the load to shift to either the heel or toe in the process.

Yep this is where it would be for me. I only bend my knees enough to get the shins on the bar. The movement of the bar upwards along with the 'unbending' of the knees should keep the bar in that position I spose.

Yep this is where it would be for me. I only bend my knees enough to get the shins on the bar. The movement of the bar upwards along with the 'unbending' of the knees should keep the bar in that position I spose.

Yeah, you see, I wouldn't even do that (bend the knee) lowers the hip, then turns to squat.
but, that's just me, if I feel my back I feel I'm doing it right.

When the bar is touching the shin, and your hips a little lower, the bar will be over the mid foot - where indeed you want it as mentioned.

I also pull back not up.

Its not just a back exercise. Its also very much leg exercise. It is a back exercise in that it works the back side of the body - back, glutes, hams, amongst other musculature. Even a stiff leg DL works the hammies Alot - infact that is the point, also glutes as you should be consiously trying to use the these muscles right through.

To say its not a leg exercise is incorrect - if that is what you are saying.

But in truth, this lift(like the squat) is very different for everyone.

Tim.

When the bar is touching the shin, and your hips a little lower, the bar will be over the mid foot - where indeed you want it as mentioned.

I also pull back not up.

Its not just a back exercise. Its also very much leg exercise. It is a back exercise in that it works the back side of the body - back, glutes, hams, amongst other musculature. Even a stiff leg DL works the hammies Alot - infact that is the point, also glutes as you should be consiously trying to use the these muscles right through.

To say its not a leg exercise is incorrect - if that is what you are saying.

But in truth, this lift(like the squat) is very different for everyone.

Tim.

No, im not saying it is not a leg exercise I'm saying done properly it's predominantly a "back" exercise as in the back receives a lot of work which is good, as it is one of the few exercise that actually works "the back of you" like no other.

the squat is a leg exercise in the opposite order

No, im not saying it is not a leg exercise I'm saying done properly it's predominantly a "back" exercise as in the back receives a lot of work which is good, as it is one of the few exercise that actually works "the back of you" like no other.

the squat is a leg exercise in the opposite order

Absolutely. Id go as far to that 80% of my back development has been from the deadlift.

Tim.

High hips deadlifting definitely has its merits, I'm sure of it
I have been working with a guy at the gym to show him my usual style of semi stiffs, which unleash the hamstring power I feel
His old PB was 100 or so recently with his unrefined technique of essentially standing up from a squat and holding the bar
Results of semi stiffs - We were still warming up with 100 with higher hips and upright shins
He doubled 120 or 130 I think, on the first session... And had more in the tank

He's aware I'm 're learning the lift so knows to take my pointers with a grain of salt, however it shows there is more than one way to skin a cat

Disclaimer - I kept it very clear I'm not an expert and am experimenting with techniques myself... And would in no way be qualified (or even want to) ask for $

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There is lifting with high hips
There is lifting with low hips
There is lifting with the glutes and there is lifting without the glutes

They are independent of each other. It's not that high hips is bad, or good, it's that you should be lifting in a way that utilises the glutes to their full effect

I appreciate that, and your advice mate.
The fun part for me will be learning to utilise the maximum potential of my posterior chain with a different and very potentially more effective setup
Could be an opening of the floodgates

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Post your videos from the front, tag me in them if you like and I'll take a look when you make adjustments
Front is always best I find, all the good shit is viewable from there

Equal PB, much easier than last time, can't believe I missed it last week at Nationals. Inexperience and nerves got the better of me.

Nice work going on in here. Let me add to it shall I?

Squats in wraps:

180x2@9. Yep. 1 rep left in the tank. Seriously considering opening on this in a few weeks. We'll see. One more wrap session left.
And then....
Close grip benched 97.5x4@9
And then...
Snatch grip deadlifted 155x3@9

Tim.