• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
SP what about doing sheiko equipped? I was thinking of doing it mostly rw but adding a few shirted/suited reps on days over 80%?

Any advice?

SP what about doing sheiko equipped? I was thinking of doing it mostly rw but adding a few shirted/suited reps on days over 80%?

Any advice?

You're not likely to get a reply from Steve here. Try United Strength Forum or Facebook.

He has told me before that you can either do it that way or turn one of your days or sessions into an equipped day. Eg. when there is double bench do the first session equipped.

There are also a few Dave Bates programs available with equipment written into it. I ran one of these for my first foray into shirted benching.

On the BMF boards they seem to be splitting the top sets in half then using a raw and equipped max to do the first half raw and the second half equipped (obviously you work up to those top sets again from what you're doing raw)

Yeah, lots of ways to do it.

I have seen that most cycles only use equipment every few weeks. Every 4 weeks to begin with then increasing to every fortnight as it approaches the comp.

Any advice?

the standard approach is equipped bench and squat on day 1 and deadlift day 2. You will notice that lifts often have 2 sets at 70%. Normally you do the first set raw and the second equipped.

Another approach is just to choose the heaviest day and take all sets over 70% equipped. THere is no set rule on this. I have seen Russians training where they take all weights from 50% equipped.

I was thinking of doing that, i can probably touch with 115, but anything less than that and i tend to expend too much energy trying to touch. Would you recommend starting at a 2/3 board and working down as the % goes up?

In my opinion you are better off using no boards and just doing your best with the range of motion you can manage. Touching is a skill and I think the skill component of benching in a shirt is much better developed without a board. As a top US bencher once said to me- if your objectve is to get as close as you can to your chest- putting a block of wood between your chest and the bar will not help. In fact, it typically provides artificial stabilisation and can create mechanical advantage not able to be acheived without a board. I remember Scott Yard saying he will prioritise the board when he enters a board pressing competition. LOL
The lower % sets will always pose a problem in tight gear, but think of it this way- in lighter sets the technical aspect is greater. If you can't touch 85% you might need to adjust the set/rep configuration to allow you to go heavier- because you will need some sets close to touching- if not touching.

Last edited:
Thanks steve, i have pressed 152.5 off my chest, and can touch with 110 so i should be able to touch with most of the work sets.

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.

Double ply metal, easy to touch without jacking, becomes very difficult as you pull it down, although it's a big smaller now that i am 5kg heavier, still did an easy 120kg touch this morning. Also occasionally use a single ply inzer rage X.

thats the perfect shirt for sheiko in the sense that you can manipulate the shirt according to how easy you want it to touch. Things get harder with shirts like a super katana where there is only a small weight range from touching to 1RM.

Fucking tell me about it... :mad:

Hopefully the spandex back on my new shirt will make it easier.

the scoop neck helps a lot. Sandvick said the range for an f6 for him was only 10kg, but with a scoop neck super kat it was more like 30kg. With the multi-ply metal shirts the range can be huge.
Body shape is also a factor. For me a 54 rage x can touch with 230-240, but a 52 its 290 or more. I heard that with Testov the shirt he uses for his 350+ benches wont touch with 340. OML

I notice a huge difference between the rage X and the metal, the metal shirt can be used from novice to very strong. Unjacked i can touch with 110kg, jack it right down and it seems like ~200kg would be required to touch lol.

The joys of multiply :p

What's the general idea with the skills test in 32. Go all out or leave some in the tank?

Personally I thought 32 was far too drawn out and long
I liked just keeping training and testing openers on the Monday with piddly shit until 2 days out from the meet. When you're younger you can really benefit from the extra 3 weeks of training

What's the general idea with the skills test in 32. Go all out or leave some in the tank?

Go all out in the skills test, but not to failure. If you feel like you are good for a PB, go for it. If you are about to fail, I would bail out of the lift rather than fight it too hard.

The skills test is timed to give you a CNS hit and just enough time to supercompensate for a full hitout.

32 can seem long and drawn out but it depends on what precedes it. When I ran 37 once, 32 was definitely too long - I only did weeks 1, 2 and 4. When I ran two prep cycles consecutively, 32 was actually hard and I only began to feel stronger in the last week and a half when the deload started.

Go all out in the skills test, but not to failure. If you feel like you are good for a PB, go for it. If you are about to fail, I would bail out of the lift rather than fight it too hard.

The skills test is timed to give you a CNS hit and just enough time to supercompensate for a full hitout.

32 can seem long and drawn out but it depends on what precedes it. When I ran 37 once, 32 was definitely too long - I only did weeks 1, 2 and 4. When I ran two prep cycles consecutively, 32 was actually hard and I only began to feel stronger in the last week and a half when the deload started.

spot on- good advice.