• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Feel like I've reached a plateau - require knowledge! Or have I?

I only do weights session that last 30-40 minutes, but I also agree that I am a very skinny version of what a weight trainer is supposed to look like.

If people think bazza is wrong, then provide examples of successful bbs who train 45m or less. I think there are a few, but not too many.

Dorian Yates

To call Dorian's leg session (his fourth training day) a body-part workout fails to accord it with the awe it deserves--more properly, it was a life-sucking, flesh-frying torture that required him to insert a rest day both before and after, leaving him to follow a syncopated two-on/one-off/one-on/one-off/one-on/one-off schedule. That, however, was as complicated as it got. In this final iteration of his high-intensity program, a bodypart workout comprised only two to four exercises and one all-out set per exercise (preceded by one to three warm-up sets of 50%-70%). No workout lasted more than an hour, and most were only 45 minutes. To put it in perspective, his weight training for a week totaled perhaps 3 1/2 hours, about what many body-builders do in a day.

http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/training-articles/101688-dorian-yates-training-philosophy.html

I think some interviews with yates confirms this approach.

I am sorry but how do you come up with that? What is the time period where a trainer is serious and not? is 44mins not serious but 46 is?

Very strange comment - also when you include cardio and other non-weight related sessions - how do you figure these in?

If I do 45 mins of weights > hour of cardio - should I be doing 2 hours in total to be serious?

I guess your a man who likes scientific proof on facts people raise - could you provide any evidence advising that anyone training under 45 mins is not serious about training?

You do know a LARGE % of natural bodybuilders follow the max-ot/heavy duty approach to training where sessions last 30-45 mins on avg, what about guys like Mike Mentzer, DORIAN YATES, Skip La Cour - one of the best ever natural bodybuilders etc etc

Sometimes you are really out of your depth with comments and simply like to stir the pot....

You addressed [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION] ; but you still have not addressed mine [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION] ;

my wife and I just had our first child 10 days ago, and I haven't trained in 2 weeks, but will go to 3 sessions a week on my return,mbutmdoingmwo bodyparts and longer sessions.

Well done mate! I do all my training early mornings before work, so I can help out and spend time with our two in the arvo's!!
Enjoy! Babies are hard work, but still amazing.

This is the age old argument spart, "marathon vs short sprint".

does one gain more muscle using short intense workouts, or long sub-maximal workouts.

what I reckon it boils down to is the belief in the protocol and the persons ability to add muscle tissue very quickly, to a well shaped muscle, that being genetics.

its interesting that the real big and well muscled blokes always bag the short intense methods, and the mr bean types the opposite.
Having said that, a lot of NFL clubs adopt the HIT model workout, but spend many, many hours training.
This is a good example of how productive a workout lasting no more than 30 minutes can biuld the required mucle very quickly.

Last edited:
I only do weights session that last 30-40 minutes, but I also agree that I am a very skinny version of what a weight trainer is supposed to look like.

If people think bazza is wrong, then provide examples of successful bbs who train 45m or less. I think there are a few, but not too many.

You will generally find most bodybuilders will train between 45 mins - 1 1/2 hours - the time difference alot of the time is due to different rest ranges, social interaction's, different warm up variations etc - but the core workout when averaged out is generally fairly similar - I am someone who trains heavy duty/maxot style so my sessions have always ranged 30-45 mins (1 hour max - if I have to do a longer warm up, or if I get caught talking) - I have mates who do the same session as me but may take 1 hour - 1 hour 45 to complete due to some of the factors above.

To say anything under 45 mins is bad > anything over is good - is just not going to work.....

Of course forget powerlifting, oly lifting as those sessions def last longer - but bodybuilding - if you can't stimulate a muscle in 45 mins then your in the wrong game....

does one gain more muscle using short intense workouts, or long sub-maximal workouts.

what I reckon it boils down to is the belief in the protocol and the persons ability to add muscle tissue very quickly, to a well shaped muscle, that being genetics.

its interesting that the real big and well muscled blokes always bag the short intense methods, and the mr bean types the opposite.
Having said that, a lot of NFL clubs adopt the HIT model workout, but spend many, many hours training.
This is a good example of how productive a workout lasting no more than 30 minutes can biuld the required mucle very quickly.

Def agree with this.

Well done mate! I do all my training early mornings before work, so I can help out and spend time with our two in the arvo's!!
Enjoy! Babies are hard work, but still amazing.

Cheers mate. I have initially reduced my training to twice a week, three time if lucky, and will change my times around when I go back to work.

The one thing that most overlook about HIT, to train like a fire pissing savage you have to learn how to train that intensely. It just doesn't happen in the first few weeks.

I haven't checked in quite a while, but if Arthur Jones' Nautilus Bulletins are still floating around the Internet, you should download them and read them.

Everything is all right there.

The one thing that most overlook about HIT, to train like a fire pissing savage you have to learn how to train that intensely. It just doesn't happen in the first few weeks.

I haven't checked in quite a while, but if Arthur Jones' Nautilus Bulletins are still floating around the Internet, you should download them and read them.

Everything is all right there.

Would be keen to read...

I cannot see any reason why short, intense workouts can not result in a high standard. For myself, I cannot go 100% for one set and back up, so prefer to train 3-4 sets each exercise (short rests) with last set pretty hard.

having said that, every Monday I go flat for one of my three different training days which rotate each week. This Monday, legs, next monday back+, and third Monday chest+.

Phil Heath was recently on the Fighter and the Kid podcast with brendon shaub and bryan callen.

he states he works out 45 mins a day and eats 5500 calories in off season. 6000 max.

theres alot of bs on the internet. don't under-estimate how much can get done with the right intensity. This is what really drives growth and gains. High output intensity and LOTS OF REST! not running around all day long.

Look, why do we always end up comparing to elite level pros in these discussions.
None of us are fucken any where near that level, we're talking about the regular Joe here, which is all of us.
So lets keep it in context for fucks sake.

Last edited:
theres no way im an average joe. people stare, that's not avg.

so speak for yourself.