• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does your gym life have an effect on your relationships?

I used to be like this. Except, it did get me somewhere, I improved considerably. BUT I've made just as much improvement by having some balance in my life and not being so pedantic about what I'm going to eat at other people's places. I still generally do bring my own food though, be it a protein shake, or some veggies or whatever, depending on how long I'm going to be there. But I don't mind eating out or whatever if that is what ends up happening.

I guess I did get results when I was obsessed, but then I stopped training and lost everything I'd gained. Back to square one.

If I'm going somewhere for a day or half a day and I know food is going to be scarce, then I'll still take something to eat. I give a lot of credit to IF for making me realise that I don't have to be so neurotic about things.

It is such a contrast with my friends that train, and friends that don't.

If I mention training with my non lifting friends it's always "why do you bother", "here's my 6 pack (referring to gut)" or "what, do ya wanna pony around" etc.

With my training friends, it's usually the first thing we talk about, until the topic changes.

I used to drink on the weekends, and have a enough to get loose. But since I started training, the frequency and enjoyment of the beers has dropped, and I haven't had a drink since NYE (part of a 12 week challenge).

To be honest, not drinking is effecting my social life a fair bit. I still go out to friends houses, but it is very boring, and if other people are getting on it, I usually get the shits with their behaviour. Almost getting into fight mode..

1 week to go and I'm back on the piss, can't wait..

I have learn't that balance is the key. I have learnt to be flexible with my diet and training. I believe intensity if far more important than anything else, If you train HARD, the rest doesn't matter.

We've all gone through that Brocky.

When I used to go clubbing I would have protein shakes or barsin the car and sneak out when mates weren't looking to drink it. I was afraid of going catabolic.

To be honest, not drinking is effecting my social life a fair bit. I still go out to friends houses, but it is very boring, and if other people are getting on it, I usually get the shits with their behaviour. Almost getting into fight mode..

1 week to go and I'm back on the piss, can't wait..

Stop drinking > realise that those around you act idiotically when drinking > cannot wait to go back to drinking

?

I find the culture around alcohol absolutely mind boggling.

i dont go out as much as i used to but even before bodybuilding cars and drifting made a big impact on my lifestyle, now its trying to balance between the two, i dont feel il find anyone anytime soon and even if i do i wouldnt know where to start with time.

i feel training and dieting has had a big impact on my life (aswell as my wallet lol)
its become my no #1 priority even past my love for cars but doesnt mean il stop that hobby
as for friends i try to hang on as much as i can but i feel they find me to be anti-social in comparison to others but its mostly due to working 40+ hrs a week.

Stop drinking > realise that those around you act idiotically when drinking > cannot wait to go back to drinking

?

I find the culture around alcohol absolutely mind boggling.

Not so much idiotically, I just get cranky easy. but year I can relax and enjoy myself better with a couple of beers for sure.

Last edited:
My misses doesnt stop me from doing anything that I want to do top chick haha. And all my mates train now pretty much so its a good life.

Yes. I have had sick kids for two days and my husband has been late home and out too early for me to go to the gym. Tonight he said he would be home by 8 at the latest (gym closes at 9), but wasn't home til 8.20. I was all ready to go as well, but there's no point by that time.

Makes me cranky. I need some endorphin release from training, dammit.

Some of you sound worse than religion preachers, not sure I'd want you for friends. If you can't converse about a wide range of topics then you need to get out more or participate in more hobbies lol.

I can't have lunch with anyone who doesn't want to talk about lifting or diet.

I kinda enjoy the debate though. They tell me im not living by missing out on shizzer like white bread etc and I tell them I will be living 20 years longer than they will. I’m sick like that.

I kinda enjoy the debate though. They tell me im not living by missing out on shizzer like white bread etc and I tell them I will be living 20 years longer than they will. I’m sick like that.

"here for a good time not a long time" is the response I used to get from that, back when I used to be elitist about my health. Then I started seeing healthy family members contract terminal diseases and decided to value life differently.

Yeah my Mrs hates me telling her to stop eating and feeding my kids shit, and trying to get her to do squats. I told her squats will help when dealing with the kids and doing housework.

I've told her to tell her overweight, diabetic mother to stop sending the kids home with lollies because it sets a bad example. They see her nearly everyday.

I told my dad to stop being fat and do some squats to help his blood pressure and his bad ankle (squats will cure this right?). At least dad has listened finally.

Before I started lifting my knowledge on nutrition was pretty basic so conversation about the 2 started about the same time.

My kids on the other hand dig exercising with me. I even have a small bar my son(4) does squat thrusters with and my daughter(3 in April) insisted I help her do assisted pullups on the playground equipment. They say they want to be strong like daddy so I'll let them continue thinking I'm strong.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

I told my dad to stop being fat and do some squats to help his blood pressure and his bad ankle (squats will cure this right?). At least dad has listened finally.

Squats and fish oil | Lift Big Eat Big

My kids on the other hand dig exercising with me. I even have a small bar my son(4) does squat thrusters with and my daughter(3 in April) insisted I help her do assisted pullups on the playground equipment. They say they want to be strong like daddy so I'll let them continue thinking I'm strong.

You've set an excellent an example for your kids. I hope to do the same some day, I don't want them to grow up playing console/computer games all day like I did.

My misses doesnt stop me from doing anything that I want to do top chick haha.

^^^ That pretty much sums up my situation, so no, my gym life has no effect on my relationships.

I do ocassionally get mildly frustrated when listening to people's misguided, cliched views on health or exercise, but I don't bother forcing opinions on to others. There is a lady at work that is really obese....the other day she starts talking about a diet that she wants to use, just for 6 weeks for a particular event she's attending. People with that sort of minimal committment, I just cbf preaching to them.