• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bench programming

I did a lot of volume when I first started benching.

Did a lot of descending sets... work up to a heavy 8 rep weight with 1 or 2 sets warm up... rep out... drop 10kg off bar and rep out... drop 10kg off bar and rep out...

Go out next day and do 1 or 2 more reps.

Repeat till strong.

One summer went from 140lbs x a couple (was only 14 then) to 180lbs x 20.

Yeah good points. Dont anyone get me wrong i agree technique is very important I just don't plan on being the lifter with perfect technique benching 100kg I would rather bench 180 with average technique.
but then think about what you would actually be benching if you had perfect technique, 190? 200?

but then think about what you would actually be benching if you had perfect technique, 190? 200?

Also think about if I spent years fucking around trying to get perfect technique with pissy weights instead of just lifting more weight.

I'm just gonna worry about getting stronger.

This is what I did with my deadlift and it worked. If I had focused on the supposed perfect deadlift technique I wouldn't be lifting the weight I am now.

Also think about if I spent years fucking around trying to get perfect technique with pissy weights instead of just lifting more weight.

This is what I did with my deadlift and it worked. If I had focused on the supposed perfect deadlift technique I wouldn't be lifting the weight I am now.

I agree with what youre saying, but also need to factor in the increase risk of injury, no?

I agree with what youre saying, but also need to factor in the increase risk of injury, no?

Im not saying to use dangerous technique.

In any case no matter what technique you use deadlifting 300+ or benching 180+ the risk or injury will always be there when pushing the boundaries with very heavy weights.

in the long run its technique that will hold you back when you go heavy, watch people when they compete or max out, 90% of the time they fail on technique failure.

i think a lot of people underestimate the importance of technique. but then it will come down to your goals...

its a shame when you see really strong people with shit technique, because you know that they have the ability to lift more but they just cant be fucked spending some time fixing their technique, and so they hold themselves back.

in the long run its technique that will hold you back when you go heavy, watch people when they compete or max out, 90% of the time they fail on technique failure.

Ill guarntee you that 100% of those max lift failures would have been made if they were stronger.

its a shame when you see really strong people with shit technique, because you know that they have the ability to lift more but they just cant be fucked spending some time fixing their technique, and so they hold themselves back.

Sure some may not have supposed perfect technique but who are you to say that they are not using a technique that gets the most out their body. If you hadn't noticed there is not one set technique used by all lifters.

Ill guarntee you that 100% of those max lift failures would have been made if they were stronger.

Sure some may not have supposed perfect technique but who are you to say that they are not using a technique that gets the most out their body. If you hadn't noticed there is not one set technique used by all lifters.
There's a difference between finding a technique that works for you (even if it's not conventionally considered optimal), and being too lazy to figure that part out for yourself, consequently holding back your progress.

Of course, ideally you'd have both strength and effective technique, not one or the other.

Baz, Callan I am more interested in the programme you guys have used to build your bench up.

I'm sure we all agree decent form is good and yes it all falls apart when going for heavy singles. Come at me with your programming. Whats given you the best gains.

There's a difference between finding a technique that works for you (even if it's not conventionally considered optimal), and being too lazy to figure that part out for yourself, consequently holding back your progress.

Of course, ideally you'd have both strength and effective technique, not one or the other.

Again im not saying technique isn't important, I said that earlier. More what I am talking about is the people that hold technique above all else and blame technique for all lift failures rather than just not being strong enough.

no shit they would of got it if they were stronger, but if they were stronger and got it with bad technique it means that its not their true 1rm.

im not saying there is a set technique, but there are basics to cover, tightness, timing, ssc ect. things that would enhance all lifters capabilities.

Baz, Callan I am more interested in the programme you guys have used to build your bench up.

I'm sure we all agree decent form is good and yes it all falls apart when going for heavy singles. Come at me with your programming. Whats given you the best gains.
iv found that i have had the best gains on bench when i did high volume. when i started training with daniel portelli at MTS dandenong he got me and gingerbread to do higher volume, 5x5 6x3 ect.

if you have a look at my last session in my training log that would be a good example of something similar. 5x6, 3x10 at a closer grip, dumbbells, and some weird messed up benching that makes you feel like your dieing lol

Again im not saying technique isn't important, I said that earlier. More what I am talking about is the people that hold technique above all else and blame technique for all lift failures rather than just not being strong enough.
because when you are handling a TRUE 1RM you shouldnt be able to save it if your technique fails. if you can save it and think thats you 1rm, you are only kidding yourself if you think thats all you can bench.

this, you need to take the time to find the most efficient way for you to lift (this will include lifting heavy to find where you are breaking down so you will make gains in the process), who cares if it means you make small gains for 6 months, but when you start programing to make gains over time you will become a much better lifter than someone who doesnt thinks that simply getting stronger with average technique is that only way

I'm not claiming to be any sort bench expert. I'm still trying to find out what works well for me with the bench.

I do know that benching once a week didn't work for me and also doing only flat bench didn't work.

I'm not claiming to be any sort bench expert. I'm still trying to find out what works well for me with the bench.

I do know that benching once a week didn't work for me and also doing only flat bench didn't work.
yeah benching once a week doesnt work... lol iv benched once a week for over 12 months.... and only just recently benched 100

fuck so much wasted time lol

So you're of the opinion that incline benching helped you add numbers to the bar?

So you're of the opinion that incline benching helped you add numbers to the bar?

I'm not. I've barely done any incline at all in the past few year. I'd rate Mil press higher but lots of flat bb and db bench would be the best. IMO.

incline will hit your tris harder than normal flat bench, if you dont have access to incline bench cgbp will do the same thing. incline dumbbells ftw lol

incline pin press is also a killer

I'm not. I've barely done any incline at all in the past few year. I'd rate Mil press higher but lots of flat bb and db bench would be the best. IMO.

That was my logic if your hitting alot of strict mil pressing and plenty of flat bench incline seems kind of unnecessary.

What do you think of running coan but sub incline for mil press with weight adjusted accordingly?