• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Yet another routine thread

Both work

Do what you like doing! Have fun, experiment also.

Rule of thumb i think is to include exercises you suck at rather than too much focus on ones you are good at.

I've been using longer rest periods lately.... Say I can do 12 reps of a weight. Using 60 sec rest periods means I go 12,8,5,5 (or close to) without being able to get more reps on any of those sets. 10,10,10 would probably not even be possible with 30-60 sec.

If you are hitting 8-12 reps with 30-60 sec rest periods, I guess you are using a very light weight for you? Or doing very few reps on the final sets?
My rest period is typically 60secs, I'll also use 90secs at times and very sparingly use 30sec.
Of course the shorter the rest the less weight you'll be able to move and this is the part that most seem to have an issue with or can't get their head around.
I don't care if I can't lift as much weight when using short rest periods, in fact when I take only 30sec between sets that is my most brutal and intense workout, I don't look forward to it and I'm happy when it's over because it 's hard and it bloody hurts, which is why I only do it sparingly, maybe for a couple of weeks 2 or 3 times a year.

Just lift as heavy as you can for the desired amount of reps.

It's has nothing to do with not being able to get my head around having to use less weight with shorter rest periods.

It's all about getting better results using longer rest periods.

We all respond differently to exercise, our pain threshold is different so the intensity we use is subjective.

Our muscle fibres are different and to add to the complexity, our muscle fibres differ throughout our bodies, from limb to limb.

At the end of the day you must be able to progress each workout, and for a young man progress should be almost unbelievable regardless of which protocol is used.

But eventually progess slows and it then becomes increasingly more important to mix differing rep ranges and rest periods between workouts.

I think, the multi joint low rep exercise, would more often than not benefit from longer rest periods between sets.

I'm a big fan of short rest periods anyway, even when I'm doing strength work I'll normally just change the plates, sip some water and go again. For smaller work groups I like biceps probably only rest 30 seconds. If you need longer than you have serious cardiovascular issues lel

I'm a big fan of short rest periods anyway, even when I'm doing strength work I'll normally just change the plates, sip some water and go again. For smaller work groups I like biceps probably only rest 30 seconds. If you need longer than you have serious cardiovascular issues lel

I need a lot longer than that :(

I decided after looking around and researching the program a bit more that splitting it up over 5 days might be more beneficial for medue to rear delts and chest being a weak point. That way I get to train rear delts and chest first.

Sunday – Legs
Monday – Chest
Wednesday – back
Friday – Shoulders
Saturday – Arms

I decided after looking around and researching the program a bit more that splitting it up over 5 days might be more beneficial for medue to rear delts and chest being a weak point. That way I get to train rear delts and chest first.

Sunday – Legs
Monday – Chest
Wednesday – back
Friday – Shoulders
Saturday – Arms

Arms on Saturday May affect big bench Monday...

I'm working the chest not the arms
If my arms are tired my chest will have to work harder, who cares about the weight being used- as long as it goes up

Legs:
Weeks 1-3:
Leg curls: 2x20, 1x15, 1x12, 1x8, drop set [Go back to the weight you did for 12 and do it 10 times; drop a plate and do 10 more reps, drop a plate and do 10 reps, then go back up (heavier) by one plate and do 25 partials out of the bottom — just start the weight up and come back down. Little reps; the weight will only be moving 2-3 inches.]
Stiff leg deadlifts: 2x15, 2x10
Squat: 3x10 followed by 1 min quad stretch
Leg press: 3x10. Last set is paused then the weight is cut in half and a 15 rep dropset is done. 3x1min quad stretch

Weeks 4-9:
Leg curls: 2x20, 1x14, 1x12, 1x10, 1x35
Leg press: 2x15, 3x16 with 10-12RM training lower part of ROM
Squat: 1x10, 3x8 paused followed by 1 min quad stretch
Smith machine squat: 2x8, 1x8 1+1/2 reps followed by quad stretch
Dumbbell Stiff legged deadlifts: 4x12

Weeks 10-12:
Leg curls: 2x20, 1x20 rest paused + 20 partials
Squat: 2x10, 1x6, 1x4-6, 1x20 + 50% dropset. followed by 1min quad stretch
Leg press: Start with 1 plate for 4 reps and keep adding plates until done w/ no rest.
Leg extensions: Pick a weight and go for max reps. quad stretches
Stiff leg deadlifts: 2x12

Chest:
Weeks 1-3:
Flat dumbbell twist press: 3x10
Barbell incline press: 2x8, 3-5x8 pyramid
Decline smith bench: 3x15-20 + band dislocations
Triceps extensions: 1x20

Weeks 4-9:
Incline dumbbell press: 4x8 pyramid
Smith machine decline barbell presses: 1x25, 1x20, 1x12, 1x8-10 + 2 drop sets. Last dropset wide grip + band dislocations
Flat barbell bench press: 4 rest pauses with 6RM
Pec minor dips: 3 sets to failure
Triceps extensions: 1x20

Weeks 10-12:
Decline dumbbell bench: 3 rest pauses with 8RM + 50% downset
Incline bench: 4 rest pauses with 6RM + 30 second static hold
Hammer strength incline press: 10RM + max rep bottom end partials + band dislocations

Back:
Weeks 1-3:
1 arm barbell rows: 2x10, 2x8
Kroc rows: 1x30 + dropset
Pullovers: 3x10
Pulldowns: 15-20 reps rest/paused + 30 second static
Deadlift: 5-8RM

Weeks 4-9:
Meadows rows: 2x8, 3x8
Dumbbell deadstop rows: 3x8 + 2x stretch
Stretchers: 3x10
Pulldowns to eyes: 2x8 + 2x stretch
Machine rows: 3x10
Dumbbell shrugs: 3x12 3 second hold at top
Deadlift: 5-8RM, cut weight by 50% + dropset

Weeks 10-12:
Kroc rows: max reps with 60kg dumbbell + max reps with 30kg dumbbell
Stretchers: 15-20 reps rest paused
Pullovers: 2x15
Deadlift: 5-8RM + max reps with 140kg

Meadows rows?
Dumbbell deadstop rows?
Stretchers?
Pulldowns to eyes?

And Kroc rows, call them what they fricken are, they were dumbell rows long before this Kroc dude came along.
Fuck.