• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

xfit appreciation thread

Lets ignore the softball throws part that they had in 1 event, it's pretty embarrassing.

I'm glad you agree on the other part in the same post about crossfit being the same as other stuff. It's not some red herring.

Its not a brand of conditioning its a marketing tool for a business much in the same vein as 5x5 is for stronglifts

The idea of improving conditioning through weighted circuits etc has been around for decades

The original ideology and concept of crossfit was sound unfortunately it's developed into a commercial brand the same as Zumba, pump or les mills

Anyway, things I don't like about it - I cant see any way of judging progression if the wod of the day changes every day, high rep compound lifts are an injury waiting to happen, kipping pull ups are gay and finally the events at world games are retarded and random

Hamb, I think you need to google the definition of brand name. It's stuff thats being going on for decades and they've just put a brand name on it.

Anyway, things I don't like about it - I cant see any way of judging progression if the wod of the day changes every day, high rep compound lifts are an injury waiting to happen, kipping pull ups are gay and finally the events at world games are retarded and random

Great, now i have something to work with.

Progression if wod changes every day -> Follow a program that is more structured/templated (is that a word?) and record your results.

high rep compound lifts are an injury -> Completely agree. Follow a program / coach that doesn't program high rep compound lifts.

kipping pull ups are gay -> I agree. One argument is that kipping allows you to do them faster, which equates to more power output to use whilst conditioning. And use strict ones for strength work. I prefer to use strict ones for both.

World games are retarded -> Completely agree. It's difficult however to be unique whilst being an overall measure of fitness. There are local competitions that go on fairly regularly that are fun to go to, however.

And yes, there are crossfit programs / coaches that avoid all of the above concerns.

There are definitely coaches/individuals out there that would do as you suggest, and I get there are different grades/levels for wod HOWEVER if you do crossfit as the crossfit head honchos themselves prescribe you DO NOT avoid the problems I mentioned and that is a problem with crossfit itself rather than the people doing it

There are definitely coaches/individuals out there that would do as you suggest, and I get there are different grades/levels for wod HOWEVER if you do crossfit as the crossfit head honchos themselves prescribe you DO NOT avoid the problems I mentioned and that is a problem with crossfit itself rather than the people doing it

So basically, what I think you're saying is that the crossfit.com main site wods are awful, right? And I'd 100% agree. And so would the crossfitters on the crossfit forums. It's completely randomised junk and is probably why crossfit gets a bad name.

Agreed your basically just doing a standard strength and conditioning workout but calling it crossfit.

Crossfit isn't a daily sport, you cannot do a WOD everyday. Progression occurs in your fitness levels, time completed and weight progression.
Most WODs are for as many rounds in 20mins.

So basically, what I think you're saying is that the crossfit.com main site wods are awful, right? And I'd 100% agree. And so would the crossfitters on the crossfit forums. It's completely randomised junk and is probably why crossfit gets a bad name.

Wtf?? So crossfit is good but the crossfit workouts are junk and those trainers that do there own programs different from crossfit but still call them crossfit make crossfit good.

Lol

Wtf?? So crossfit is good but the crossfit workouts are junk and those trainers that do there own programs different from crossfit but still call them crossfit make crossfit good.

Lol

Not sure of your reading comprehension level here. Perhaps give it another go and report back and then I'll give you my thoughts.

I'm on Bazzas side here

It really isn't true crossfit (training wise at least, obviously the comps are crossfit comps) unless you're doing the WODs as prescribed

However we're really just being nitpicky with technicalities and tend to agree on the same points

Kinda like SPP vs GPP

I still would like their marketing power. Geez imagine that applied to the PTC franchise.

I only learnt of crossfit after seeing a guy wearing a crossfit shirt in my gym. Then a bumper sticker so I Google it. Then my trainer told me she had thought about doing it, then went and done it and so did I.

I'm on Bazzas side here

It really isn't true crossfit (training wise at least, obviously the comps are crossfit comps) unless you're doing the WODs as prescribed

However we're really just being nitpicky with technicalities and tend to agree on the same points

I'm getting the feeling you & bazza think that there's only one set of wods. There's 3000+ crossfit gyms worldwide (plus a few online only ones) who all do their own programming. Like anything, some are better than others.

If people look DEEP into the WODs alot are named after soldiers fallen in Afghanistan and the WODs are dedicated to them by family and friends and American patriots.

I'm getting the feeling you & bazza think that there's only one set of wods. There's 3000+ crossfit gyms worldwide (plus a few online only ones) who all do their own programming. Like anything, some are better than others.

I know there are gyms not doing the wod
Regardless of that fact there is a wod set by the governing body and it is in this particular 'programming' (or lack of) where my beef lies

I am not trying to belittle the people who train in this particular manner or degrade their accomplishments but crossfit as designed/prescribed by the people who invented/controlled it are money and attention grabbing idiots
Imagine the uproar if they decided one day at a powerlifting comp to include the front squat instead of back squat

Again, we are just arguing technicalities and both agree that WODs suck. I just don't believe the general conditioning/strength work performed in a gym that isn't the official WOD can be called crossfit. It is just general conditioning/training
I don't consider me doing squats in my garage powerlifting. That term is defined as performing the 3 lifts in a competition setting and anything outside of that should not be lumped under that term