• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Working as "PT" without any certification?

The thing i like the most about a home gym is that its more efficient timewise - you dont have to drive, and because you dont have to wait to use the power rack you can get a lot of volume into 30-45 minutes.

Btw, mum has bent to letting me get the muscle motion rack and ill be ordering next week - ****ing psyched.

I love home gym training, I prefer to lift alone.

The majority of the lifting population needs others around.

The strongest PL in the world lift in crews

Your going to love the new rack, but you already know that

There are alot of idiot trianers..

In sydney anyway problem is they get work? I dontknow how..

There is 1 older guy in my class he is a trainer apparently he says he knows all these powerlifting people blah blah blah.

Then he goes on to tell me how muscletech creatine is better then others because it is anabolicly activated. WTF is that? This is when Christians brain stops listening. Then i find out his bench is 80 and i stop listening completly...

Its almost like the personal trianer in my class who told me you can spot reduce body fat. It drives me insane.

Yet these people het hired and make money? I see absolute begginers at my gym and this trianer gets them doing all this band stuff and those rex strap things? Just give the bloke a barbell and teach him to squat.

I think all the fancy ness is for show... When you look at westside there are not many fance exercises. There is no special secret its fairly basic. Is it something FIA teahces that the rest of the world doesnt know? Do begginers need to do pistols on a half fit ball while scratching there ass?

Or is it just that they try to fit so much crap in as to confuse the client so they think they could neer do it on their own. I see some people with a different wokrout everyday.. How the **** are you going to moniter progress?

It just seems like a little too much smoke and mirrors for me. But i suppose every industry is the same. Its like me telling you that you have a cobalamin* defficiency so you need to see me every week so we can moniter it for you as it can cause a whole host of problems...

*how many of you will google it?

this is exactly what im talking about. its the same here in norway.

thats why im wondering why anybody in their right mind would value such a course. we have all seen what kind of idiots have passed it.

"ok you flew a spaceshuttle without any knowledge or training?"
- "no, really its ok, i got a drivers class B license".

"right. your covered"

These are the guys i wanna take work away from. I feel badly for their clients, cause tbh they are being robbed. They will most likely never become stronger, leaner, faster w/e, and if they do its despite the PT not because of him.

Nobody believes it would be possible to "educate" the average joe about what working out is really all about?
People who are reading magazines while cycling on a machine have to realise at some point there is no progres?

Look at us, we all got into it. Must be some hope ;)

That is ridiculous (horse story).

As has been said, OP, certification/qualifications are basically a piece of paper that allows easy access to insurance. The fitness industry is not regulated in Australia, you don't need a qualification to practise as a personal trainer.

thank you =)

Its more the chalk, deadlifts are frowned at, no bumpers, no Oly lifts and atmosphere.

Once you lift in a PL gym Oli, you'll never want to lift anywhere else, trust me.

No chains, boxes, bands, Atlas Stones.

I know I trained for 12 years in commercial gyms, but they were nothing like today.

You cant miss what youve never had Oli

this sounds really sad. I was thinking aussies where more hardcore :p

Last edited by a moderator:
thats why im wondering why anybody in their right mind would value such a course. we have all seen what kind of idiots have passed it.
Because however poor it is, people still leave the course with more knowledge than they began it with. They still end up knowing much more than the typical gym-goer. And I'm fairly sure most of those who passed would know more than you. About powerlifts, probably not - but there's more to PT than squat, bench, and deadlift. I'm sure I mentioned some examples before.

And as I said, an interested person can use the course to learn things not covered by the course, because they're meeting with people from the industry, etc.

People who are reading magazines while cycling on a machine have to realise at some point there is no progres?
You have to realise that most people come and go from gyms every few months anyway, or change routines every few weeks. They don't hang around long enough to find out if anything actually works.

And for many people, their workout is not actually a means to an end of physique change, improved performance, etc - they just enjoy being at the gym cycling or doing curls and talking with their mates, and being able to tell their friends they work out. It's social, not physical.

Last edited:
Seriously Christian, you train at Finance First and wont train at SS&S because you've heard bad things lol

Thats the funniest thing youve ever written.

I guess you train at Fatness First because you only heard good things about it

Oh the irony

They Aren't open Sundays they close before I finish work on Saturdays. They close before I get home on wednesdays.

It will cost me almost double now and I loose the convenience of being at college and wanting to use the gym up the road or at the mrs and wanting to use the gym at her house. They also close early weekdays so by the time the mrs is finished work and home there isn't much time left to train.

I don't give a shit about what music plays or who's around me, I get oops from commercial gyms and that's what's funny.. I have a rack a bench barbells and weights it can be curves for all I care if that stuff is there, it's cheap and caters to my lifestyle I'm there.
Posted via Mobile Device

The thing i like the most about a home gym is that its more efficient timewise - you dont have to drive, and because you dont have to wait to use the power rack you can get a lot of volume into 30-45 minutes.

Btw, mum has bent to letting me get the muscle motion rack and ill be ordering next week - ****ing psyched.

So true Oliver.

I recently set up at home (2 weeks ago), as it's the only way I can get myself to train now.
Cleaned out a corner of my garage, put down 20m2 of rubber mats, a power rack, bench, some bars, bumpers and plates and it feels just right now.

I've got everything I could ever need set up at work, but it gets boring training here as I'm here 6 days a week for long hours.
It's much more comfortable at home and the convenience is what makes all the difference in training attitue.
This way, I finish my workouts at 10:30pm and it fits well into my schedule, with no travelling required.

Had a new chick come train at Ruccis this morning. I respect that shes done competitive body building and the like. Two weeks ago, she aske her trainer to give her a powerlifting program, I was immediately interested. 5 day split, squat one day, included curls, tal pulldowns and calf raises, nuff said. I totally did not agree with her workout. I could have given her a program better suited without a cert.

last week i walked into 3 commercial gyms to see what others were doing,2 gyms i couldnt move in,not one person was squating,deadlifiting or pressing i mean no one. curls,crunches and walking machines were overloaded,the other is ment to be hard core again only thing being used are bikes and walking machines,so i asked them how much they wanted for there power racks and plates.i dont now how anyone trains in those places,long live ptc and gyms like it.

Because however poor it is, people still leave the course with more knowledge than they began it with. They still end up knowing much more than the typical gym-goer. And I'm fairly sure most of those who passed would know more than you. About powerlifts, probably not - but there's more to PT than squat, bench, and deadlift. I'm sure I mentioned some examples before.

And as I said, an interested person can use the course to learn things not covered by the course, because they're meeting with people from the industry, etc.

You have to realise that most people come and go from gyms every few months anyway, or change routines every few weeks. They don't hang around long enough to find out if anything actually works.

And for many people, their workout is not actually a means to an end of physique change, improved performance, etc - they just enjoy being at the gym cycling or doing curls and talking with their mates, and being able to tell their friends they work out. It's social, not physical.

Well if you wanna put on muscle, like most young guys who work out at gyms do. Then no, there really isnt much more you need to know than benching, squatting and deadlifting.

If you throw in some chinups, military press and rows you really got it all. You can ofc vary with alternative exercises but if you got this as your chore your all set.

ofc this only applies to people who actually want to get stronger, not the "soscial" people you talk about. But i do believe that some of those social people could be turned into gymrats if they could just be shown how fun working out can be when you feel the progression.

PT's probably like having the soscial people around, so they make soscial people out of their clients.
if they actually wanted to work out see results most PT's wouldnt know wtf to do. its a bad circle.

l.i dont now how anyone trains in those places,.

they dont.

as for giving out programs, i wouldnt do that per ce. Enough great programs out there already. Phillipi, Dietmars, sheiko, 5-3-1, 5x5 etc.

Making some small adjustments might be handy some times though.

Last edited:
there's nothin' wrong with the wheel. if somebody asks me about a great program....i somehow keep coming back to Bill Starr's 5x5 program. Sure bill based his training program on training time poor, cash strapped college kids...the fact still remains though that 5x5 works. it really does. Bill was right.

Well if you wanna put on muscle, like most young guys who work out at gyms do. Then no, there really isnt much more you need to know than benching, squatting and deadlifting.
  1. there are many more kinds of gym members than underweight young males who want to beef up
  2. underweight young males usually know everything already, or so they say - so they won't pay for a trainer or coach to teach them anything, not even squat, bench and deadlift.
But if you want to aim your services at 5% of the market, and a 5% that'll usually ignore you, and do all this without qualifications of any kind... go ahead and try.

You'll probably have more financial success just washing dishes in a restaurant, though.

Have you heard of the 80/20 rule?

Essentially 80% of your income as a pt will come from sources besides underweight young males wanting to add size. There's a huge world out there.
Posted via Mobile Device

1. there are many more kinds of gym members than underweight young males who want to beef up
  2. underweight young males usually know everything already, or so they say - so they won't pay for a trainer or coach to teach them anything, not even squat, bench and deadlift.
But if you want to aim your services at 5% of the market, and a 5% that'll usually ignore you, and do all this without qualifications of any kind... go ahead and try.

You'll probably have more financial success just washing dishes in a restaurant, though.

Got any market research on the general gym population ?

Could be interesting to get some hard facts. Who goes to gyms, and what do they really want to get out of it.
Its a very strange market. Probably a billion dollar industry world wide, and its just littered with nonsence, unproffesionals,
fake products and false promises.

Makes you wonder if there is a huge potential to making a profit of some real training knowledge, or if people want to stay deceived forever.

What does a PT course cost? And what is the jobmarket like?

I could allways fake being a standard PT and then then slip PL-principles ( read: real excercise) into peoples workouts.
No offence to you Kyle. my attitude which you probably find very offensiv is just a habit from norwegian forums where basically every 2. thread is mocking a PT in some way.

And no, i wouldnt show a future employee this thread ^^

Last edited:
There is huge profit in anything - if you can market and sell it. It is the marketing and selling that is the problem.

The fitness industry is worth much more than a billion dollars worldwide. It's nearly worth that much in Aus alone.

I doubt Kyle will take offence to your posts, he is basically getting out there and doing what you describe/want to do.

Certificate costs vary according to where you do them, do a little research before jumping into any in particular. In a recent thread I think someone paid $1600 for a 2 week course for their Certificate III... which I find ludicrous but there you go.

They Aren't open Sundays they close before I finish work on Saturdays. They close before I get home on wednesdays.

It will cost me almost double now and I loose the convenience of being at college and wanting to use the gym up the road or at the mrs and wanting to use the gym at her house. They also close early weekdays so by the time the mrs is finished work and home there isn't much time left to train.

I don't give a shit about what music plays or who's around me, I get oops from commercial gyms and that's what's funny.. I have a rack a bench barbells and weights it can be curves for all I care if that stuff is there, it's cheap and caters to my lifestyle I'm there.
Posted via Mobile Device

If SS&S was open for 8 minutes a week it would still be a better place to train than FF.

The mere fact that EVERYONE there is stronger and faster than you would push you, something a lot of lifters fail to recognize.

Big fish, small pond syndrome Christian.

Dave would drive past 150 gyms in his 60min drive to come to PTC, he could think up 1000 reasons to not come to PTC. He does this 6 days a week, and I close early on Saturday and dont open on Sunday.

I read where some Elite PL drive for 6 hours on weekends to get to Westside once a week.

Its all about choices.

Kyle and Raz, you guys are talking about 2 different things.

Kyle works in a gym that you would never train in Raz. It may be the same industry, but the differences are so great between Kyles gym and a PL set up, that in reality it is a totally different industry.

Seeing how Raz posted in the strength section and is talking about PL in his original post, there is no relevance in what Kyle's training caters for. I have often said to Kyle that I could never do what he does, which makes him a better trainer than me.

Raz would not and could not do what Kyle does with certification, period.

Raz, you should be looking up PL gyms, and I can tell you now, you would not get a job in one. They will let you pay rent and you can try and cajole clients, but I'm guessing your success rate would be zero.

There is no chance you could get a PTC client to pay you 1 cent, you would only be making me richer if you took up that offer.

Feel free, $100 a week rent, you have access to all my clients, its a PL gym.