• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Working as "PT" without any certification?

I currently help a few people at my house, but I can't charge them.
If I charge them, I can be sued if something goes wrong.
If they are just working out on my equipment, and we are all "just mates" suggesting exercises, weight and form, it will be much harder for them to sue.
I do however have a big money box in my gym that they all "donate" money to which will help fund new equipment.

That said, I'm halfway through my "PT" course which will enable me to get insurance. Then I can charge real dollars and advertise to the public n
Posted via Mobile Device

don't quote me on this.

In a situation where a person places themselves in the hands of a person who is known to have a low standard of skill then the latter should only be held to the standard of an 'unqualified and inexperienced' person in the circumstances (Cook v Cook). The case was overturned in terms of learner drivers teaching others to drive but i think it would otherwise apply.

Also, you couldnt be charged with 'breach of duty' because activities in the gym constitute an 'obvious risk'

If I was your friend and I did get hurt the last thing I would do is try to sue you - I'd probably say I hurt myself at work so I could claim on workers comp.

Thanks for that Oliver.

I'm pretty sure that a Fedral Law was passed a few years ago where you could not sue a gym or trainer, on the basis that you understand the activity is with risk.

Max got knocked out playing soccer, we cant sue anyone, we understand the risks.

Is that correct Oliver?

So your saying I can have people in my home gym, using my equipment, asking advice on exercise, and if something happens they are not able to sue me?

What do you have insurance for then.

Check out ads in PL magazines.

They state:

Lifting weights is dangerous, do so at your own risk

Put up a sign or something if your worried Pauliie, but if you have good equipment in good condition, and a guy undertakes to perform a movement, and hurts himself, not much he can do.

Its why I replaced all the mats at PTC and had drains put in to stop the flooding.

Your place looks pretty good to me Paullie, stop worrying, do you have space in the back yard to................. lol

lol

I could triple my gym flooring to fill my whole garage, currently its using only the back third.

Backyard, easily another 100 squares there as well rofl.

markos is greek, im italian. the greeks invented bum sex, italians perfected it, with women per say.

rofl

edit: while iv got you here, what is the average wager for standard shit jobs you can get with no education in australia? working in a supermarket, driving a cab etc.

Supermarket: $18-20/hour i think
Cabs: australian cab industry has been invaded by foreign students and immigrants, you''ll be lucky to make more then $15/hour. Easy way to dodge out of your 20 hour visa restriction thing though

razorth, you can get paid $20 in hospitality. At uni thats what I did, met heaps of chicks as well haha.

Currently it's $543.78 per week ($14.31 per hour), it assumes a 38 hour week. This is for people 21 years and over. The person would pay $59 tax on that, leaving them with $484 a week.

Casuals receive at least 25% on top of that, but receive no sick or holiday pay. Some workplaces will offer more for working evenings, weekends, public holidays, etc. For example one of my gyms offers a 150% loading for public holidays, so if I worked on Melbourne Cup Day for four hours I'd get 10 hours' pay, basically. This is not common, it's just one of the few benefits of working for a local council-run place.

Most minimum wage jobs will not be full-time, they're part-time or casual.

Last edited:
I'm not sure with regards to PT and using equipment in people's home. My friend was selling a horse and they came out to ride the horse and fall off. That person sued them and they got money out of it, even though everyone knows horses are a risk they where still able to sue.

I fall of horse broke my femur, my lawyer is sueing my employer for negligence

That is ridiculous (horse story).

As has been said, OP, certification/qualifications are basically a piece of paper that allows easy access to insurance. The fitness industry is not regulated in Australia, you don't need a qualification to practise as a personal trainer.