• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Working as "PT" without any certification?

If SS&S was open for 8 minutes a week it would still be a better place to train than FF.

The mere fact that EVERYONE there is stronger and faster than you would push you, something a lot of lifters fail to recognize.

Big fish, small pond syndrome Christian.

Dave would drive past 150 gyms in his 60min drive to come to PTC, he could think up 1000 reasons to not come to PTC. He does this 6 days a week, and I close early on Saturday and dont open on Sunday.

I read where some Elite PL drive for 6 hours on weekends to get to Westside once a week.

Its all about choices.

Exactly the commonsense choice.

Its hard to train at the gym when it's shut markos.
Posted via Mobile Device

Being an equipment supplier, we get a reasonably good feel of the overall market by the products we sell.

We sell alot of Power Rack/Bench/Barbell weights set packages.
This is good to see, as alot of guys are setting up at home or small studios and doing the big, basic exercises.

Then you get young guys who buy a preacher curl bench, curl bar and a few weights, quite common...

The rest of the stuff we sell is spread over quite a large market.
Alot of PT's setting up studios too, for the last few years consistently.

However, the big market mover recently is the Crossfit market, and they are not a complicated set up.
They are really branching out and opening up affiliates all over the place at a fast pace.

The equipment they get is:
Weights and bumpers
Barbells
Squat stands
Kettlebells
Ropes
Rings
Chin up bars
Plyo Boxes
etc...

All the simple stuff.
Business is business and they obviously have some great marketing going on, as they are growing fast and charge quite high fees, but don't provide any fancy gear for clients.
I suppose results gained are a great testimonial.
And, the crossfit girls are the best.........

We don't sell cardio gear, so maybe our view on the market is not a true indication.
As mentioned in a previous post, it seems that the cardio equipment was all that was being used in commercial gyms, and the weights equipment was untouched.

Personally, I haven't been in a commercial gym for over 10 years, so have absolutely no idea about clients, trainers, or anything that goes on there.

I just know what goes equipment goes out the door.
Often, when guys come in wanting some sort of multi use machine, I always try to put them on to a free weights set up, rack, bench weights set, etc.
We make less money from the weights related equipment, but it makes me feel better knowing they will get much better results in the long run.
However, alot of people still want things to be simple and don't want to, or are scared, to learn all the free weights exercises.
I suppose this is where trainers/advisors would come into it.

I'm pretty sure that he is open till 8.00pm on 3 nights a week Christian.

He also is open while I'm sleeping.

Sometimes, to improve, we need to make sacrifices.

This is why I get defensive when some Nick is a natural or genetic freak blah, blah, blah

I saw first hand what he did to improve.

You may not know Melbournes layout Christian, but he rode a motorbike for 45 minutes in the middle of winter to come to PTC.

He could train for free where he worked as a PT.

He worked 2 jobs and studied full time.

He gave up Friday night drinking because he trains on Saturday mornings.

I dont expect anybody to make the sacrifices that Nick made, but I expect anybody who makes those sacrifices to mirror his results.

Thats the point I'm making Christian.

Nick, or Dave, could come up with a list of reasons 10 times longer than yours why they couldnt come to PTC, instead they made a much shorter list why they could.

I know you would prosper in a much better training setting than the one you bash on here regurlarly, just my opinion from afar

Crossfit is a good idea currently being implemented poorly, I think.

$3,000 for a years membership? This is to participate in a dictated group session. Seems ridiculous to me.

The fact that they can charge that much and still run a successful business speaks volumes, though.

I understand your point markos. But it's not just me it's the mrs as well.

So it has to cater to both of us otherwise she won't do it.

So stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Posted via Mobile Device

Christian, do you really believe that after 4 years you can come up with a reason I havent heard?

This discussion simply started because you said that you had heard bad things about SS&S, now its your girlfriend cant make it

I just dont think your initial comment was very fair

Anyway im looking for a PTC style place in sydney, i dont want to go to that sutherland place, heard alot of bad stuff about in good as well. But for the $$$ i dont want to put up with anything.

Peter from Shire Speed & Strength does some really long hours.
I don't know how he doesn't burn out.

He opens up at 6am 6 days a week.
He opens until 8pm 3 nights.
Opens until 6:30pm Wed and Fri, as he does additional training afterwards.
I think he closes at midday on Saturday to do extra coaching all afternoon.
He might do extra coaching on Sundays too, not sure about that now.
In the football season, I don't know if they play Sat or Sun, but he coaches and plays for his team too.

That leaves not many hours left to do everything else in life, considering traveling time needs to be allowed for too.

Very dedicated is Peter and there is only one of him, so not much more can be done, unless he puts someone else on to do exactly what he does.
But that's like Markos putting someone else on in his place.
It won't be the same.

A slight thread derail. I'm curious as to whether a certified PT can train clients at a commercial gym without actually being part of that commercial gym. Ie. if a PT trains clients at say Fitness First or a local council gym, or a Curves gym or whatever, would they need to actually be part of that company? Or could they just train their own clients using that gym's facilities without having to notify the company or owner of the gym? Do self-employed PTs have to pay them like a fee or something?

You need to rent floor space at FF, and only after they accept you.

Its $250 a week from what I know

If you were to simply go into a gym and do a "casual" workout with a "friend", not much they can really do.

Thats what I did at Golds Gym in Venice with Max

Very dedicated is Peter and there is only one of him, so not much more can be done, unless he puts someone else on to do exactly what he does.
But that's like Markos putting someone else on in his place.
It won't be the same.

I don't think the likes of Peter or Markos do it for the money mate; it's a passion for them.

You and I both know that time and money needs to be leveraged in order to make the big bucks, and this is a game difficult to do that in successfully.

I don't think the likes of Peter or Markos do it for the money mate; it's a passion for them.

You and I both know that time and money needs to be leveraged in order to make the big bucks, and this is a game difficult to do that in successfully.

It would have to be a passion to stay in it for the long run.

It's pretty obvious Peter is not doing it for the money, charging just $12 for a casual coaching/training session.

I wasn't trying to say he does long hours to earn more money.
I was saying that he puts in as many hours as one person possibly could.
If it doesn't suit some peoples schedules, there's nothing that can be done about it.
Only way is if the trainee becomes more flexible with their schedule.