• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Can someone explain bloody 'grinding' to me

iDYPBr1CgNyN1.gif

Focusing on getting the weight moving explosively definitely has its benefits. I'm pulling 230 kilos quicker and easier than I pulled 170 kilos one year ago. Momentum ftw

Focusing on getting the weight moving explosively definitely has its benefits. I'm pulling 230 kilos quicker and easier than I pulled 170 kilos one year ago. Momentum ftw

Good Acceleration and velocity with sub maximal weights is probably the best way to train for "power". The problem is those ballistic types of movements can destroy joints and connective tissue even faster than the boofheads who grind everything to failure at a snail's pace.

Most weight lifters will say that speed is essential but that you can never be a really top weightlifter without also being insanely strong (as in grinding limit-strength work with back squats). The dreadful, short carreer of weight lifters!

i think the key to longevity is to learn how to do the compound exercises with good acceleration but control the movement enough so that you aren't hyperextending or locking out too forcefully.

Good Acceleration and velocity with sub maximal weights is probably the best way to train for "power". The problem is those ballistic types of movements can destroy joints and connective tissue even faster than the boofheads who grind everything to failure at a snail's pace.

Most weight lifters will say that speed is essential but that you can never be a really top weightlifter without also being insanely strong (as in grinding limit-strength work with back squats). The dreadful, short carreer of weight lifters!

i think the key to longevity is to learn how to do the compound exercises with good acceleration but control the movement enough so that you aren't hyperextending or locking out too forcefully.

I agree Von, and to add... to move at a 2/4 second cadence with a 2 second pause at contraction ensures you have control of the weight, the weight needs to be heavy enough to force body-parts into full stretch to improve and maintain strength in the full range of movement, too light this wont happen.

The first 3 or 4 rep's when you have fresh strength it is critical to move at the required cadence, as fatigue sets in the key is too maintain the cadence.

If you become stuck on a rep for a period of time, cheating *can* be one of the tools (tricks) used to stimulate growth to get past that point, most make the mistake of adding sets.
For example the barbell curl; swinging the weight up using momentum, then very slowly lowering (6sec) continue until you are unable to control the lowering.

Last edited:
If you become stuck on a rep for a period of time, cheating *can* be one of the tools (tricks) used to stimulate growth to get past that point, most make the mistake of adding sets.
For example the barbell curl; swinging the weight up using momentum, then very slowly lowering (6sec) continue until you are unable to control the lowering.

What is the issue you have with adding sets? If you perform the exercises with the cadences and controlled eccentrics as you prescribed, an extra set = extra volume which can be a good thing right? It follows the time under tension concept.

On the same token one could use the pause-rest principle instead if they want to keep it all within the same set. Or pyramid down the weights with minimal rest. All these techniques require 'extra sets', so taking that out of the equation completely is missing out on a fair bit of gainz, dontcha reckon?

What is applying more force to a 200kg barbell
The one that is accelerating the weight
The one that is not accelerating the weight

There is no way to refute this logic

What is applying more force to a 200kg barbell
The one that is accelerating the weight
The one that is not accelerating the weight

There is no way to refute this logic

Depends which way the barbell is going :p

The issue is that force does not equal gains lol
Putting the most force on the bar doesn't make you stronger

TUT is what drives progress lol
Such a fucking retarded debate fuck

tut tutt..

Can't say the same for OLY movements though, you don't want to tut tutt that shit when it's flying into your face.

What is the issue you have with adding sets? If you perform the exercises with the cadences and controlled eccentrics as you prescribed, an extra set = extra volume which can be a good thing right? It follows the time under tension concept.

On the same token one could use the pause-rest principle instead if they want to keep it all within the same set. Or pyramid down the weights with minimal rest. All these techniques require 'extra sets', so taking that out of the equation completely is missing out on a fair bit of gainz, dontcha reckon?

all I can say to you is give it a crack.

for the single joint movements, go hell for leather, do a ball busting one set for three months.

to go real hard takes time, it's not just something you start doing, here or there.

some people really don't work hard enough, one really hard set TUT 90-120 seconds is sufficient to garner results.

The issue is that force does not equal gains lol
Putting the most force on the bar doesn't make you stronger

TUT is what drives progress lol
Such a fucking retarded debate fuck

you've got the jist of it, this + that = .... Is not how it works.

its grade 6 physics

power and speed are elements of strength.

how this is improved upon is time spent under the bar using progressive resitance

Ok so the benefit from 1 big ass continuous 30 minutes TUT (hypothetically) does NOT = segments of TUT, sum of which is also 30 minutes?

Sorry that is new to me, I haven't done a whole lot of soul searching on this idea.

TUT is what drives progress
Perhaps, perhaps not. It depends on where you want that progress to occur, i.e. muscular endurance, muscular strength, muscular size, neuromuscular efficient...what? To isolate one method and try applying it haphazardly to all goals would do you little, if not produce a type of regress instead of progress.

tut tutt..

Can't say the same for OLY movements though, you don't want to tut tutt that shit when it's flying into your face.
Precisely that, thank you brother. It's a different ball game here, where the emphasis on muscular exhaustion takes a back seat to neuromuscular efficiency, where the name of the game here is muscular recruitment rather than muscular exhaustion.

For me, I would look at a method that would give me what I need by adding to, rather than robbing me from what I already have.

For example, performing / focusing on the eccentric phase of a particular exercise might really add to the effort of that exercise, but at the same time I feel robbed due to the way eccentric affect my ability to recover. So even though this style of lifting does work, my job would be to look for a method that would maximize my benefits whilst simultaneously minimizing any negative effect overall.

Performing extra sets would add volume to the overall workout, which is great, but it won't do, and here's my reason why that is. Adding volume to a workout is adding volume to a workout, in other words, it's way too general in its overall effect to solve a particular issue I happen to be suffering from, which in this case is a plateau in my strength level.

Enter the isometric/heavy partial rep movements here. performed in the power rack. Here is where weak links are not only eliminated, but are turned into one's strength, giving the lifter an overall balance throughout the lift. Furthermore, one needs to keep in mind that our focus here ought to be on intensity over and above effort. Where intensity is used to quantify the amount of weight being lifted, and effort is used to quantify the level of exertion during exercise.

Ok so the benefit from 1 big ass continuous 30 minutes TUT (hypothetically) does NOT = segments of TUT, sum of which is also 30 minutes?

Sorry that is new to me, I haven't done a whole lot of soul searching on this idea.

I'm only talking about the duration of the set, the time under load, or tension whatever the fuck we want to call it.

again the barbell curl; how much time in the rep is the muscle under actual mechanical load?
not much, so you would probably need more than one set to make some inroad.
muscle recovers real quick, there is a lot of movement around the elbow.

tricep push down on the cable, how much time under load? A lot more than the curl.

result?

How much time does the average goose spend curling?

if you find an exercise that creates even, automatically variable resistance so the the TUT IS CONSTANT, how much time do you think you'd need or stand?