• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why Policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps hes trying to suggest that unless we take out sport seriously, the masses wont, and therefore powerlifting will remain and underground sport with no hope of having an olympic representation. PED use is obviously one stance that "could" be improved. Should it? Well that's what the debate is about.

Perhaps hes trying to suggest that unless we take out sport seriously, the masses wont, and therefore powerlifting will remain and underground sport with no hope of having an olympic representation. PED use is obviously one stance that "could" be improved. Should it? Well that's what the debate is about.

You might be right Paul but I am not sure that is what he is saying - Von Zimmer Frame may have to restate it in somewhat simpler terms for me. I am old and slow too and might need a bit of help from him.

You might be right Paul but I am not sure that is what he is saying - Von Zimmer Frame may have to restate it in somewhat simpler terms for me. I am old and slow too and might need a bit of help from him.

Much of Paul's interpretation is correct. I'd like to see the future of the sport secured and the future of strength sports in general secured. There are deliberate measures we can all take now, or at least debate, to give the sport a better chance in the long run. Sometimes it involves discussing things that make people feel uncomfortable.

They are only words at this stage, with no judgement, and i would hope that no one is choking on their weeties over this.

I'm not going to hide the fact that I am also motivated by my concern for the welfare of others and would not want to see young people enticed into something that could have adverse personal consequences for them.

Much of Paul's interpretation is correct. I'd like to see the future of the sport secured and the future of strength sports in general secured. There are deliberate measures we can all take now, or at least debate, to give the sport a better chance in the long run. Sometimes it involves discussing things that make people feel uncomfortable.

They are only words at this stage, with no judgement, and i would hope that no one is choking on their weeties over this.

I'm not going to hide the fact that I am also motivated by my concern for the welfare of others and would not want to see young people enticed into something that could have adverse personal consequences for them.

Thanks mate - but at the risk of being particularly obtuse would you be able to put down in point form your main arguments (sorry I am too used to powerpoint presentations and having everything dumbed down for me in business meetings)

Von isnt anonymous he's been into PTC Perth a few times. He obviously just feels strongly about the use of PEDs in the sport for a few reasons.

I've watched this series of threads for long enough and it seems abundantly clear that this was never intended as a simple question-and-answer thread. It's a vehicle for discussion, as Paul said about a page back. And I for one, have found it valuable.

I'm not atypical of many on this forum, in that I am

• a newbie to powerlifting
  • a wannabe competitor one day
  • hundreds of kilometers from the nearest person interested in this stuff

Hence, ausbb is pretty much my sole source of perspective and "industry knowledge", beyond the mere technical issues. And I am bloody thankful that vonfram88 has persisted in framing this discussion, on a topic upon which I had no perspective until now. And for his continuing to play the ball rather than the man, despite every provocation otherwise.

D1ck0 and Spartacus have already alluded to the value of these threads as a vehicle for discussion. I want to add my voice to that. As a result of these threads, I've picked up

• A perspective that if I competed with PA, it could give me some "drug-free cred", if I ever felt I needed it
  • the realisation that I'm not alone in being unwilling to join PA because of its exclusive-association clause.
  • A sense of wasted opportunity, that PA could have been a vehicle to confer drug-free cachet on many more powerlifters regardless of their chosen affiliation
  • A sense of frustration that if PA dropped its exclusive-association clause, I could compete in GPC/CAPO/PA events, be seen to be drug-free, and have more events == more fun.

I've also come to realise that if the broader community comes to perceive powerlifting as a drug-infested sport there will be real effects, even at the grass-roots level where I hang out. Quite possibly there will be no point in my trying to evangelise the sport in my community; the BBQ conversations will turn to drugs instead of courage and personal growth. Parents will be even less inclined to let their children start lifting weights.

In the worst case I (all of us, of course) will be tainted with the stain of drug use and my children will get teased in the playground. I've certainly observed that BBQ talk about cycling quickly turns to drugs in recent months.

So I've been disappointed to observe the snide attacks coming from high-achieving senior figures in the sport. I expected something more, even on an internet forum, from moderators and role models whom I expected would hold themselves above that stuff. What we write here will be cached somewhere and searchable for the rest of our lives.

Von isnt anonymous he's been into PTC Perth a few times. He obviously just feels strongly about the use of PEDs in the sport for a few reasons.

I know how strongly he feels about them.... Thats what the threads are about.

I just asked who he is so I know who Im talking to.

I know how strongly he feels about them.... Thats what the threads are about.

I just asked who he is so I know who Im talking to.

I know him because he's been to PTC Perth but I can't divulge his identity without his permission, that's up to him.

I can say he's a top bloke, who's a pretty talented lifter.

Well said zoot, debate is always the best way.

There are good people in all feds, and i think we can all learn from each other.

Okay to summarise myself - you are saying that all federations should have an anti PED use policy (and test as well?) in order to:
a.) Help secure the future of our sport
b.) Prevent harm to young people - from the use of PED

Have I got it?

Well said zoot, debate is always the best way.

There are good people in all feds, and i think we can all learn from each other.

100% agree.

I love nothing more than a debate.

Chris, we have our fair share of heated arguments, but at the end of the day, Ive actually met you in person, and know that your a top bloke, even if our views vastly differ.

Von has a very different assumptions on what the future holds for untested feds, which is fine, he is very passionate with his views... I would just like to know who Im talking to.

His original question was whether GPC, as the most noticed and prolific powerlifting fed should take charge on the battle against PEDs in sport.

It was answered. It will not happen. There is already a tested fed that receives funding (Chris would know how much they receive), no other fed could afford it, even if they wanted to.

Does that mean we cant have a policy? Not at all. Ive even bought it up with the president and the tech officer. Would it be useful to combat PEDs in PL? No..... We wouldnt test. We may put up a banned substance list, and hope everybody adheres to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.