• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why is everyone trying to squat so much?

I'll quite often finish in the squat rack and move to the smith machine for another 3 sets of squats, find them quite good, really pump the front of the quads up, I like them.

When in real life will you need to squat 200kgs?

Its like playing soccer and asking when in real life you ever have to kick a ball into a rectangular goal with people trying to stop you.....

Squatting is ruining my life. I slipped a disc a couple years ago when I was still learning a lot due to squats. It still gives me problems though unless my form is exactly 100% correct and it's a good day. My legs and ass is too big too fit in a lot of clothes like a nice pair of jeans. All I can wear is baggy gym shorts or tailored dress pants. I wasn't even squatting THAT heavy (210kg), but I've decided to do something I never thought I would and actually lose gains in my legs, squat less often, and also keep my bodyfat under 10% to eliminate said problems.

At the end of the day you do NOT HAVE TO SQUAT if you don't want - no1 is forcing you to squat, bench, deadlift etc etc - I am a big believer in if an exercise is really causing you that much drama simply don't do it and find a different exercise instead.

Unless your goal is to be a powerlifter, Oly lifter etc etc or you play professional sport and for whatever reason your needing to squat (I know of professional rugby players that don't even squat due to injuries etc).

Of course include all compound movements somewhere in your training if you can BUT if one is causing so much stress that your training is going backwards because of it simply replace it with another exercise.

The OP's question is so open-ended and somewhat frustrating - Why are people trying to squat more? Why are people trying to run faster? Why are people trying to get bigger? Stronger? Leaner? etc etc

The answer is because we can - its a challenge, it drives some people, its the motivating factor in whether people will go to the gym, get up in the morning etc etc....

Question to you is do you train? Why?

Last edited:
I squat for the challenge of beating it. I've had my fair share of trouble with the movement.
I feel like I'm currently getting on top of it. And it feels good.

I squat for the challenge of beating it. I've had my fair share of trouble with the movement.
I feel like I'm currently getting on top of it. And it feels good.

What was your main trouble that you had to work on, and how did you manage to figure out the solution?
Lately mine was not getting the weight to stay midfoot. Tight hips and lack of glute activation were the culprits, so mobilty work and setting up with the feet slightly wider at shoulder width have been useful fixes.

What was your main trouble that you had to work on, and how did you manage to figure out the solution?
Lately mine was not getting the weight to stay midfoot. Tight hips and lack of glute activation were the culprits, so mobilty work and setting up with the feet slightly wider at shoulder width have been useful fixes.

my main issue was misdirection.
and what I mean is I was being coached to squat incorrectly. being a lanky kunce naturally with cursed long femurs, we had me squatting wide stance to try and keep my torso upright and shins vertical sitting back etc.
basically I was squatting like a geared lifter.
have long since narrowed my stance to shoulder width, and allowing my knees to travel out over my toes in order to hit depth rather than sitting back. so I now I squat down, rather than back.
I had real shit ankle mibility too which wasnt an issue when squatting with the wider stance. since mostly fixed that too...
squats can be painful if my right ankle doesnt feel like flexing as it should, so often I need to work on that, but thats no big deal.

I hated squatting and therefore wasnt any good at it. now I love it, and im getting ok at it.

Nice troll thread...BUT, I try squat lots because I feel it has had a positive effect in strengthen my knees and legs which were always fucked from footy to the point where I couldn't even do 3 flights of steps without pain.

I'm always joking that I'm built like a baby giraffe and can squat over 200, after nearly 3 years of training.
80kg on the smith after 10 years...lol, nice

now my back is fucked, i use the squat as a primary and intermediate tool
and then move to an isolation movement to complete the muscle tear down (like incline leg press, but substitute whatever you wish)