• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What annoys you most about the fitness industry?

Curls in the squat rack

You must eat/drink 3 minutes and 20 seconds after your workout otherwise you go catabolic.

Over-rated supplements, like pre-workout (a coffee and a metallica song work just as well, if not better)

People that focus on scales over bodyfat percentages (like Biggest Loser)

People that hit just one bodypart Only, like Arms for blokes or Legs for chicks, when whole body should be trained every week.

Sometimes i look at things that nothing really annoys me about the fitness industry or and other industry for that matter unless it effects me directly.

I couldnt care how many dodgey supp companies are out there scamming people into thinking their supps are so superior to everyone elses.

I couldnt care less how crap the personal trainers are at my gym or other gyms as i dont get personal training and if i did i would source one which was suitable for me and benefitted me.

I couldnt care less about the crappy exercises people seem to do which would actually have no seen benefit to doing them, unless they were on a piece of equipment i wanted to use at that time.

I couldnt care less about people who lift with crap form, provided my form is good and wont cause injury to myself but will help me improve my physique and grow.

Sometimes i look at things that nothing really annoys me about the fitness industry or and other industry for that matter unless it effects me directly.

I couldnt care how many dodgey supp companies are out there scamming people into thinking their supps are so superior to everyone elses.

I couldnt care less how crap the personal trainers are at my gym or other gyms as i dont get personal training and if i did i would source one which was suitable for me and benefitted me.

I couldnt care less about the crappy exercises people seem to do which would actually have no seen benefit to doing them, unless they were on a piece of equipment i wanted to use at that time.

I couldnt care less about people who lift with crap form, provided my form is good and wont cause injury to myself but will help me improve my physique and grow.

Kfg likes you neddy.

personal trainers, 30 years ago there were very few. Gym owner or others would give program, run people through program, and then that is it.

Last edited:
Nothing, I love it all.

I like the myriad advice, gurus, scammers and abrockwave9000pluses.

It generates debate and discussion; keeping things interesting.

And some fitness crap is just downright funny.

Although, I can't see the bright side of people not wiping down equipment after sweating all over it... But my home gym doesn't have that issue.

I don't like the cash grab some places go for....

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to pay for a good service - but taking advantage of someone whose none the wiser - not cool!

personal trainers, 30 years ago there were very few. Gym owner or others would give program, run people through program, and then that is it.

I remember those days, it wasn't that far back as I've been training on and off for about 15 years. Those were the good days and personal trainers knew their stuff.

yes, in the past its was often the gym owner who took you through your paces; chances were they had achieve quite a lot of experience in weight training, sport or bb and had a lot of knowledge shaped by their success and/or experience.

Now there is so many of them, sometimes youngsters who don't even train properly themselves, never mind their clients.

The way some of them push their clients to the limit borders on the ridiculous.

Few strength coaches these days have clear vision on what they are trying to do.

These days "strength coaches" do all kinds of things...
I suspect many spend hours on the Internet looking for "new"
things to do... many feel that they have to do what everybody
else is doing.

I believe that the best way to look at it
is to do the basics...and stick to the basics... and find the
proper perspective for your trainee relative to a sport played.

This is one thing that irritates me most about the "fitness industry"

Last edited:
yup.. shits me that so many trainers seem to subscribe to theory that difficult automatically means effective. Its hard to hold a kettlebell with your toes while balancing on one leg and patting yourself on the head, doesnt mean its going to achieve anything.

Few strength coaches these days have clear vision on what they are trying to do.

These days "strength coaches" do all kinds of things...
I suspect many spend hours on the Internet looking for "new"
things to do... many feel that they have to do what everybody
else is doing.

I believe that the best way to look at it
is to do the basics...and stick to the basics... and find the
proper perspective for your trainee relative to a sport played.

Agree. Problem is sticking to the basics doesn't make you an Internet famous strength coach. That's why you now see Internet "strength coaches" trying to make a name for themselves with a kind of novelty hook. The glute guy, mobility, kettlebells ect.

It's the same with strength coaches coming to footy clubs. The wanna do all fancy balancing routines, speed ladders, some px90 crap.

The basics just don't sell. It's all about the new fads.

Agree. Problem is sticking to the basics doesn't make you an Internet famous strength coach. That's why you now see Internet "strength coaches" trying to make a name for themselves with a kind of novelty hook. The glute guy, mobility, kettlebells ect.

It's the same with strength coaches coming to footy clubs. The wanna do all fancy balancing routines, speed ladders, some px90 crap.

The basics just don't sell. It's all about the new fads.

One of the "politically correct" approaches these days
involves doing "quick lifts" (like power cleans or hang cleans) and activitys like you both state to invoke some kind of "transfer"or "carry-over" toward football skills...
of course, although the trainee might improve his skills at
"cleaning" and wot-not, that transfer doesn't happen.

At best,
"general strength" and the raw material of the body are developed in
the weight room...the specific skills of playinga sport are developed
and maintained on the field.

One of the "politically correct" approaches these days
involves doing "quick lifts" (like power cleans or hang cleans) and activitys like you both state to invoke some kind of "transfer"or "carry-over" toward football skills...
of course, although the trainee might improve his skills at
"cleaning" and wot-not, that transfer doesn't happen.

At best,
"general strength" and the raw material of the body are developed in
the weight room...the specific skills of playinga sport are developed
and maintained on the field.

Yep, while O lifts are great exercises they require a decent amount of time and technique to get value.

Why not get strong on the basics in the weight room. Then for speed do things like sprints and jumps which is what you do on the footy field.

Surely they are more specific to footy than power cleans.

What annoys me most in the fitness industry is that half the industry is overlooked by some fitness models that thought they look amazing but can’t tell you anything about training or diet that doesn’t require large dose of all around sports fitness.

What annoys me most in the fitness industry is that half the industry is overlooked by some fitness models that thought they look amazing but can’t tell you anything about training or diet that doesn’t require large dose of all around sports fitness.

That'd be like asking a racehorse how a racehorse should train

I agree with bazza.

I got good (reasonably) t power cleans because I did Olympic lifting when young, but it is a skill in its own right which takes time from other important training.

sprints and bounding also plyometric, saves time and more sport specific.