• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Torn between CrossFit & Strength Training

I'm not talking elite lifters though here.

For injuries cf is that bad. And Scott and I are elite level athletes. Injuries happen due to our traini g volume and intensity. In cf injuries happen because of retards who have no clue about programming and a total disregard for safe form in dangerous exercises.

Powerlifting is relatively safe at a general level however accident do happen and advanced to elite level lifters open themselves up to greater risks.

No, I think you were, so I'll stand by my comment

Hi guys, thanks for replying;

My goals are to massively increase strength and mobility (Cannot do the OH Squat holding a PVC pipe, directly over my head). I had no idea how bad my mobility was until I tried a free crossfit class (and how weak I was lol). I thought it was just old age.

Once the above goal is achieved, then I would like to move on to body building and gain mass size. PS I eat like a pig, take mass gainer shakes and still cannot put on weight lol.

The Crossfit trainer (he owns the box business) says I will get more gains doing crossfit than I would doing 5x5; is he saying this because its his business and it means more $$ for him.

Crossfit will increase your strength and mobility, it won't just happen, you'll need to work at it, especially the mobility part.

If the end goal is body building, why not start there?

You will see gains if you choose something and do it consistently. What's the name of the Crossfit Box?

Thanks guys,

The box is called CrossFit Cure in Perth WA, and recently the guys came first at the crossfit open.

With Diet, I did struggle to eat enough calories (to my surprise as I love my food), counted 2600 in a day and was aiming for 3200. Also need to rid my sugar addiction too.

So what would happen if you did crossfit 5x a week on a 500-800cal surplus?

You will get stronger, and maybe gain some extra lean muscle but you won't be very strong or very big in powerlifting or bbing terms. The OP is better off sticking with his strength program then adding more bbing volume.

I meant in regards to the OP. Any discussion of elite level sportsmen is irrelevant.

I don't think so, it gives a look it the future if you stick in the sport. If all the elite guys are injuring themselves, then that is probably what you have to look forward too.

Let it go guys..

the guys goal is "My goals are to massively increase strength and mobility "

If he is being suggested to do crossfit to fix his mobility, I'd suggest there are better and possibly safer ways to do so.

If he wants to "massively increase strength"
there are again better ways than crossfit.

If you actually enjoy crossfit then so it.

You are 42 and new to exercise (it sounds like it anyway) so your mobility will be quite shit anyway.

MobilityWOD | All human beings should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves. has hundreds of videos on mobility. stuff you can do at home. for free. without a barbell being thrown around in movements that take some skill to do well.....

If you don't have any existing injuries, then I'd suggest sticking to 5x5 or whatever progressive lifting program you want to follow.
where you have a measurable increase in strength... this week you did 100kg, next week you managed 102.5, then 105 etc etc....

TL:DR - mobilitywod for mobility exercises, 5x5 for strength gains, more or less food for more or less bodyweight.

Comedy, don't do Crossfit to fix your mobility problems, but listen to the Crossfit mobility guy...

Will you power lifters stop throwing this "Crossfit is unsafe" shit around. Post up some stats to support the statement or STFU up about it, it's getting old. "I know a physio, Dr, some bloke at the pub said so" isn't a study, it's an opinion, we all have opinions on shit.

Oh look, here is one on powerlifting

"The rate of injury observed in the present study appears similar to the majority of the powerlifting literature [1-5]. On this basis of these retrospective studies, it would appear that powerlifters suffer a lower rate of injuries than ice hockey [11], rugby league [12] and rugby union players [13], but a comparable number of injuries to that of field hockey [14], gymnastics [8] and track and field athletes [14]"

Well f%#k me! look what I just found:

"Claiming to be the first statistics on CrossFit injuries published in a scientific literature, the researchers estimated the risk of injury to be 3.1 injuries per 1,000 CrossFit hours trained.

“Overall rate of injuries sustained during training are broadly similar to that reported in the literature for sports including weightlifting, powerlifting and gymnastics, and lower than that reported in competitive contact sports such as Rugby League and Rugby Union,” stated the researchers in an article in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research titled The nature and prevalence of injury during CrossFit training."

So what would happen if you did crossfit 5x a week on a 500-800cal surplus?

Good point, answer you will build muscle.

That is why my weight went from 70kg to 80kg when I was young doing everything, that is why boxers, rowers and canoeists also get impressive physiques, despite variety of training.

Form ??????
yzada5a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit, I have changed view about injuries with crossfit.

If one uses their head, and backs off a bit when tired or injured, no reason why you would have any greater risk of injury.