• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Time for a fat tax ?

The population growing larger and people getting fatter just means we're going to run out of resources faster and have a greater impact on the country - takes a larger area of land to support everyone.

Can support more healthy non over weight people with less resources.

More sugar and fat are getting consumed than ever before.

What just do nothing and let health costs blow out or governments make everything user pays and people die because they can't afford to go to the doctor ?

I don't know.

There have always been fat people, skinny people, muscular, there are just more of us.
Plus the fact that now we also have dumb people giving birth to dumb people and being rewarded for it.
Just look at player for example.

If you distributed the worlds wealth evenly, what do you think would happen after ten years?

I don't know.

There have always been fat people, skinny people, muscular, there are just more of us.
Plus the fact that now we also have dumb people giving birth to dumb people and being rewarded for it.

If you distributed the worlds wealth evenly, what do you think would happen after ten years?

Lmfao

I would look like a beautiful blend of Kim Kardashian & Jennifer Lopez, THAT is what would happen!

Viva le plastic surgery!

Mwahaha

I suspect evenly would come to more like $2K/yr per person... probably not plastic surgery territory :)

And i suspect, given equal money, the currently rich would rapidly become rich again....

I suspect evenly would come to more like $2K/yr per person... probably not plastic surgery territory :)

And i suspect, given equal money, the currently rich would rapidly become rich again....

Way to crush a beautiful dream dude :cool::D

I suspect, you may be somewhat right however lol

We say that there are now more than ever more improved physiques due the improved nutrition, research and exercise methods.

Bullshit, it's gone backwards.

I don't know.

Im devastated. Thought we were tight?

You'd end up with a similar balance of rich and poor to now, not necessarily the same people though.

Do you think its because more of our food is processed? And the crap food is more readily available than ever before? We're a society that drives immediacy & convenience afterall, so we're provided with & supplied food with immediacy & convenience?

Think back to the 50's, 3 square meals a day, meat/veg & carbs were the staple. Women were homemakers & child rearers, husbands were the bread winners.

Fast forward to today, where women are career orientated, even after they've made the choice to have children. Food itself is supplied with immediacy & convenience. Day care costs are ridiculous, the cost of living is ridiculous & take away food or 'fast food' has become the 'norm' for many households? Parents are busier & never has there been more pressure to work hard to achieve the lifestyle people desire?

The result? We have the fattest generation of children, ever.
Adults are more stressed out, financially strung out & children are largely raised & educated by our government systems.

Healthcare is strained, mental health is strained & people are fatter.

I think there's a miriad of reasons for this, its not 'just' sugar, its not 'just' fat, its our current lifestyles? A lack of balance? A lack of focus on the basic fundamentals that used to be the norm?

There is no 'answer' to this. But I think the focus needs to be on solutions, rather than 'blame'.

Its about education, not extra tax. Instead of building de-salination plants & spending billions of dollars on crap thats never finished, or used - create meatier physical education programs in our schools & communities? Educate people. Hold food manufacturers accountable for the shit they're serving up to people. Bring 'eating' back to basics.

Telling people that 'moderation' is key is not 'educating' them. What moderation? Which food groups? How much? When? There is so much conflicting information out there, I'm not surprised that the fat get fatter & our kiddies are huge.

Don't eat after 6pm. Don't eat carbs, they're the enemy. Don't have ice cream, its full of sugar, don't give your kids juice, they're better off with a piece of fruit, move for 30 minutes every day. Rye bread, brown bread, white bread, gluten free, lactose free, rice - white or brown? Sugar or sweetner? Soft drinks or no soft drink? Does burnt toast cause cancer? Are our friit & veg full of pesticides? Are the bbq chickens injected full of hormones?

Why are 8yo girls getting their periods? Why are testosterone levels lower than ever before? Why is there more cancer? More heart disease? More diabetes? More strokes, more brain annurisms, more arthritis & more auto immune diseases than ever before?

Why are two year olds obese? Why are people living longer? Yet unhealthier than ever? Why are women waiting longer before starting families? Why is the sperm count lower & the fertility rate plummeting in men & women of this generation?

Is it our environment? Society? Food?

Lets just blame McDonalds for everything & run free zumba classes across the country? lol

The reasons are complex. Andy's right, its not new, its taken generations to get to where we are. There are more people than ever in our country, more food choice, almost everything is processed, we eat more, we move less. We're stressed out & strung out & we work hard with little balance to anything anymore.

We've lost our way ausbb...as a western culture, we've lost our way. We've taken great strides forward technilogically, we've discovered the god particle, we're coming up with vaccines for HIV....but we can't seem to be healthier, but in contrast, we're living longer? We're transplanting organs, we're donating blood, we're fighting to live...for what? Stuff our gob with chilli cheese fries & sit & play x-box for five hours a day?

Gahhhhhhhhhhh

The problem, is bigger than you. Its bigger than me.

But with this fight, you gotta start with yourself. With your child, with your community & your family. It amazes me the amount of 'healthy' people, with fat families? Children, parents, brothers & sisters, why? Why are YOUR family members fat? Fuck, I was the only one in my family who was fat. Through years of steroid treatment I got there, but I stayed there for WAY too long out of laziness & not knowing wtf to do to help myself. Fad diets fucked up my metabolism, until one day, I just decided to eat less & eat healthy & move my fat arse. THE END.

The battle can only be won, by doing small things, to reach a much greater goal.

Or, just gtfo & squat!

lol

They did that with alcohol and smokes didnt spoke shit.

If anything they should educate people about the food they eat. I had no idea what was in some of the shit I used to eat I wont go near it now.

Last edited:
It's interesting looking at Asia its only in the last decade or so there has been a growing trend of obesity especially Japan with its American influences otherwise they still eat much the same as they did 50 yrs ago.. and have better than average life expectancy

Bella

I know that people were more content in their lives than they are now.

Back in the fifties I would say that food and nutrition was no better or worse than it is now.
Hell, back then it was plainly advertised, smoking was healthy!

Go to the doctor back then, he'd tell you to lie down with a cup of tea and a bex, which incidentally was the product that eventually destroyed my dads kidneys!

It's interesting looking at Asia its only in the last decade or so there has been a growing trend of obesity especially Japan with its American influences otherwise they still eat much the same as they did 50 yrs ago.. and have better than average life expectancy

How do we actually know this?

We rely on lab coats and government to give us the data and statistics we need?

Not sure if there was a point? Mwahaha

Maybe the point is, there is not one solution. What's a fat tax? On fast food? On sugar? Lets tax olive oil & chocolate too? Ice cream, sour cream, chips, biscuits, cream, the whole lot? Maybe we should install something at cash registers where if you buy any food in bulk, you incurr the 'fat tax' cuz clearly your portions are fucked? Lets tax drivers more? Because they're not using their legs to get around?

I mean, where do you draw the line? As someone who was fckn huge, I can tell you right now I wasn't eating fast food. I ate chocolate like a boss though lol

Its not the food itself, its the amount, the frequency, the lack of movement & the lack of education. Aint no fat tax going to make people skinnier. The focus should be on health, not whether you're obese, fat, chubby, slim, skinny, anorexic. Plenty of 'normal' looking people are unhealthy mofo's too, putting strain on the health system.

There is no bandaid solution to this. It's just not that simple. The reasons for why people are fatter & unhealthier, are complex, so the solutions also need to be complex, multi layered & the approach structured?

But its thrown into the 'too hard basket' because it IS too hard. So lets just tax sugar & fast food, problem solved? I doubt it lol