• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I really need to get my camera out, some things I saw over the weekend:
- guy with all fours on kettle bells doing push ups
- guy doing standing one arm cable rows holding a kettle bell on his other shoulder
- guy coming to the gym to do some cleans, followed by 40 minutes of a move I'm told is called "skinning the cat", muscle ups and a series of maneuvers where he goes to the leg raise apparatus, hangs upside down.. then moves into an almost hand stand with his legs spread sticking up in the air.

I've never seen anyone in my gym warm up with an empty bar first. They just slap a 20 on each side and go for it, even when their work sets are only 60-70 kg. it would be understandable if they were all 500 pound benchers and 60 kg felt like an empty bar does to the average joe, but they're not.

Last edited:
And then there's the guys who spend an hour doing every mobility warmup they can think of and then proceed to do 1/8 squats.

I've never seen anyone in my gym warm up with an empty bar first. They just slap a 20 on each side and go for it, even when their work sets are only 60-70 kg. it would be understandable if they were all 500 pound benchers and 60 kg felt like an empty bar does to the average joe, but they're not.
It's not necessary to warm up with an empty bar

My first warm up set on bench is usually 60-80kg. Can't see any point in using less than that, even that is pretty light.